3%
F
No votes

Total votes : 36

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Wed May 18, 2005 10:33 pm
J. Wilder says...

I decided to post this poll because to me English class didn't really feel like it had anything to do with actual writing, but I've noticed a lot of other kids who write do well in English and like it and stuff. Personally I hated English class and it was my worst class. I'm way more of a math person. (Not that I like math...I'm just good at it, and it's better than English.)
Last edited by J. Wilder on Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed May 18, 2005 10:41 pm
Incandescence says...

What if you teach an English class?
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed May 18, 2005 11:15 pm
Galatea says...

I always do well in English class. I love English lit.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Thu May 19, 2005 12:10 am
niteowl says...

I have an A in English. But that doesn't mean I like it. In fact, I often fall asleep. But this is American Lit. I can't stand how we're expected to just stop reading, write down on little tabs, and be able to get through a book and retain sanity. Plus half of whatever the author was trying to point out goes completely over my head.

And what we DO write is just essays. I suck at commentary because I always believe the evidence explains itself and it's hard to spell out my reasoning. I have a similar problem when trying to write stories: I think too much before writing, write it down, and then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to a reader. I think I've gotten better, though.

Actually, we have a creative writing assignment. And I have no inspiration. And we have to send it off to a magazine or somewhere else it could be published. Meh.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu May 19, 2005 12:25 am
Crysi says...

I LOVE my English class. My teacher is so amazingly dedicated to his students, and he focuses a lot on writing and reading. He also teaches the Creative Writing and Sci-Fi/Fantasy classes, which I plan on taking. He makes every day so much fun, and my writing has definitely improved from being in his class.
Love and Light

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu May 19, 2005 12:33 am
Boots_snob says...

My English teacher is evil and when ever she gives us work we don't have enough time to do it...
So because of that i am not very good at English

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu May 19, 2005 12:57 am
Areida says...

Okay, well, technically I don't have an ENGLISH class...but I have Omnibus, which is a combination of Literature, History, and Theology. It's my favourite class... it's really hard, but since it's challenging it inspires me to work hard so yeah, I've got an A. Right now I'm studying for my final... "Discuss some of the themes of the Divine Comedy, and explain what Dante was trying to accomplish in this great work of literature. Be able to support your explanations with examples."

Yeah...that's one of about forty questions on our semester exam review...LOL...can't say I'm not getting a good education... :wink: :roll: ...

But our teacher is awesome, so I think that helps. His name is Mr. Vermillion but we usually just call him Mr. V. He's kind of young, like late 20's, almost 30 and so he's really energetic and funny. Also, since the class is five days a week and two hours long, he only lectures for about an hour of that time, then we have the other hour to divide up between study hall for all the reading assignments we get and going outside to shoot baskets. There's an old upright piano in the Omnibus room so sometimes when he's waiting for someone to answer a question he'll wander over there and pluck out random stuff...LOL...it's hilarious...he calls it "thinking music"..
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu May 19, 2005 1:39 am
Shriek says...

Good gosh, Arieda. -Jealous-

I get Bs, mainly. I score well on essays, do pathetic on tests and quizzes, so it averages out nicely. My teacher is an insane, absent-minded nun named Sr. Seton. She gets off-topic very easily and isn't necessarily the sharpest crayon in the box, but I do like her class. It isn't structured, but rather, a very laid back environment. ^_^
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Thu May 19, 2005 11:03 am
lon_205 says...

I hated English. We barely do any writing. We did one piece, which I did get an B for. The rest is just closely analyzing texts which can be interesting, but sometimes its just a little too much analyzing. The poems we do are horrendous (the ones we analyze), they're by this Scottish author: Edwin Morgan. We did Death of a Salesman, which I personally don't like. The Catcher in the Rye, which i did like. And that was it... It was really boring.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu May 19, 2005 12:15 pm
Writersdomain says...

I'm getting an A in English class, but I don't like it all the time. It's just so easy! My teacher told me she is trying to crack down hard on me to hold me to a higher standard, but it is still terribly easy. I wish instead of learning about phrases and grammar and types of writing that we would actually DO some writing. It's frustrating
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu May 19, 2005 1:22 pm
Rei says...

Very often English very creative writers do badly in English. My father was the same way. So was Roald Dalh, one of England's top children writers. The problem is that the class is about understanding literature, structure, and grammar, and who gives a flying fart about creativity.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu May 19, 2005 3:03 pm
Kay Kay says...

I love English class! It is so freaking easy!
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu May 19, 2005 6:42 pm
Emma says...

I am pretty good at English, Im one of the few who has already passed my Level F tests. But the problem is always the teacher. Shes soooo annoying.. I got sent out the room once for swearing.. And I wasnt even swearing at her! xP No one likes her in my class, if we had a different teacher, I know my work would be better.. Just ask anna_gibson and lollipop (they are both in my english class)

Its the same in science.. In first year I got excellent marks, then I kind of fell back and didnt do my work, ending up with bad marks in tests and getting sent out the room and getting punishment exercises.. xP

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat May 21, 2005 4:10 am
Sam says...

I hate English.

We never get to write anything, hardly.

I fall alsleep *literally*.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat May 21, 2005 4:18 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Ooh, I have an A in English class.

Our english teacher is awesome. Shes my favorite teacher, although her class can be a bit boring at times, shes funny, and she teaches us a bunch of stuff. I always swear in her class, and I never get caught. But I mean, really, really loudly and she never even looks back at me.

Its awesome. :)
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh