z

Young Writers Society

Who's your idol?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri May 06, 2005 6:59 am
ashlee_rox says...

I want to know what artist, author, etc. inspired you to do what you are doing basically your idol for whatever you love to do. For example I love to sing and write music my inspiration would be Hilary Duff and Ashlee Simpson! They are both girls that just have fun doing what they love to do. I'm in a band with little dreamer and we are hoping to become singers ourselves b/c, that is what we enjoy doing and I wish to share my talent and inspire everyone around the world to keep on singing. I want my music to have some impact on someones life and really uplifts them through tough times. I hope one day this can come true. My dream!
<3 Stacey <3
Ashlee Simpson Fan For Life!

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri May 06, 2005 7:38 am
uniaeca says...

I don't really have an idol....though if I had to choose I'd probably say Tamora Pierce, or Terry Goodkind because all there books are awesome.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri May 06, 2005 7:43 am
Boots_snob says...

I don't really have an idol. I have been attending choir practice since year 4 and I have sang two solos in primary. But since last year I haven't been doing much singing. I like writing poetry about how I feel and sometimes I right stories but I never finish them. I would say that I have been inspired by a lot of artists but I am not sure who my idol is.

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Fri May 06, 2005 8:13 am
Liz says...

Sylvia Plath and e.e.cummings because they've both paved the way for other poets with similar styles. Love their work but I try to keep theirs and mine seperate as if I copied them it would be awfully second-rate. So it's great to have idols and all but you need to draw the line at some point and realise your own style.
purple sneakers

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Fri May 06, 2005 9:12 am
Zion says...

Tolkien really. Also....Einstein and David Hawkins. But since I dont want to come out as a complete nerd, from the musical idols ill say, DJ Tiesto, Nightwish and....Paul Oakenfold.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri May 06, 2005 11:47 am
Areida says...

Francine Rivers, J.K. Rowling, and Gail Carson Levine.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat May 07, 2005 12:35 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Billy Boyd.

Thats all I have to say.

*disappears*
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat May 07, 2005 12:40 am
Nai says...

R.A. Salvatore, Peter Jackson, and my dad.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sat May 07, 2005 12:41 am
Elizabeth says...

After all this thinking and consideration......

Hunter.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat May 07, 2005 12:43 am
Firestarter says...

Bill Shankly.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat May 07, 2005 2:03 am
hawk says...

Slash. Sure, not a writer/poet whatever, but I can like musical artists, right?

And, of course, Hemingway.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat May 07, 2005 2:50 am
Areida says...

I also admire my dad. He's one of the most incredible people I've ever known.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat May 07, 2005 4:48 am
Sam says...

*looks at sierra and bursts out laughing*

Hmm...well, I'd have to say Gary Blackwood...I love his books!!!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat May 07, 2005 5:05 am
bulletproof says...

i would say who ever i don't hate right now

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sat May 07, 2005 5:47 am
Galatea says...

That's a terrible sentiment, bulletproof.

I don't idolise anyone. I think it's a very dangerous thing to do. To idolise and emulate another person is to deny your own unique potential as a person. I also detest popular culture, and I feel as though it really encourages idolisation of otherwise talentless dimwits who simply happen to have a pretty face and can (sort of) carry a tune...well enough that it may be electronically enhanced in any case.

I am, however, greatly inspired by a number of vocalists, writers and performers.

Maria Callas has always been a huge inspiration to me as a vocalist and as a coniseur of opera. Sumi Jo as well. Bernadette Peters and Joanna Gleeson are incredible women, and through their examples I am constantly encouraged to pursue my love of the arts, specifically Broadway performance. Not very many film actors on my list, Kevin Spacy definitly, Kevin Smith too. Kathy Bates (amazing woman) and Helena Bonham-Carter. In my pursuit of the written word, Plaith, Cummings, Dickenson, Angelou, Shakespeare, The great Beats--Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti, Keroac--Virginia Woolf, Orson Scott Card, Francesca Lia Block, Ralph Waldo Emerson...there are playwrites too...and composers...a great number of people whom I respect and draw a great deal of inspiration and guidance from.

But all of these above are meerly inspiration for the work I do. In all of my pursuits of my passions, I am myself--no one more.
Last edited by Galatea on Sat May 07, 2005 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature