z

Young Writers Society

What inspired you to start writing?

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon May 02, 2005 7:09 pm
Kay Kay says...

This is going to sound silly but what inspired me to start writing books and such was the book called, I Know What You Did Last Summer What about you guys?
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Mon May 02, 2005 8:42 pm
hekategirl says...

Well, i've always loved to write, ever since I could talk. I would tell my mom what to write down, the stories wern't really good but they were cute. And then when I was like 5 I wrote two poems that we still have, I know, I know they are weird, here is one:

"Flashlights gleam,
Potatoes roam,
Everything is good,
And you are a poem."

And then when I was 6 I started writing more complex stories for this homeschooling newsletter (it was local) and then when we moved from LA when I was 7 I didn't really write much but I did write some stuff, and then I wrote this story, that really wasn't that good, but good for my age, and my parents started saying how they thought I would have a career in writing, and that really inspierd me. So thenI started writing all the time and here I am.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon May 02, 2005 10:18 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

When I was like 8 I met one of my closest mates who is now my "bi-guy" he introduced me to writing and I've been doing it ever since.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon May 02, 2005 10:41 pm
Shriek says...

Good question. I guess I didn't really have a specific event that made me realize, "Oh wow, I like to write!" Gradually I began to fall in love with writing, through journaling, stories I came up with in grade school and whatnot.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Mon May 02, 2005 10:45 pm
niteowl says...

I've always come up with cool stories inside my head, but I didn't think I could write until the 8th grade, when someone said my story was really good and I thought "Hey, why should I just write stuff for school? That's stupid!"

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon May 02, 2005 11:12 pm
Crysi says...

When I was around 8, I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep at night. So I used to make up these "adventures" I would go on when I closed my eyes. I've always been obsessed with dragons, so in one adventure I gained the ability to change into a dragon. And of course I had to be the princess. :wink: Thus Crystalia was born. I found this adventure to be quite entertaining, and it just grew and grew. I still have the "adventures" (I can't stand not concentrating on something when falling asleep) but I mostly use them to figure out how to write the next part in my book. Sometimes I go on to the second and third books as well. I decided to write one scene down one night (since I had the urge to write but didn't feel like working on my failure of a story) and I was hooked.

Anyway.. I just realized that's not what inspired me to write initially. That's just the inspiration for my current story. :P

I don't know.. I've always loved reading, and I would just get ideas to start writing.
Love and Light

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue May 03, 2005 1:20 am
Tara says...

I've always just loved to write. I was inspired by JRR Tolkien's the Lord of the Rings,when it comes to serious writing, tho I don't even write fantasy.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue May 03, 2005 1:24 am
Zentillius says...

Well, I began writing stories in my seventh year of schooling, when we had an assignment to write a story. Well, naturally the assignment was in a literature class and I found that I rather liked it. With the addition of reading and how the different styles interested me, my rather inane teacher that year actually influenced me into the development of a short story. It was rather a horrific one that I shared with everyone. They lied and told me it was good. Now, since you all know that I write romance stories and/or fantasy, that grew with the... *clears throat* fantasies I had about girls. insistant wanting of fellow student to write MORE stuff.

If you got confused there... well, so did I. :wink:

And there... I've said it. Laugh it me.

Fantasy. Now that's a different story. And I shall tell that tale in a later life.
What man may proclaim himself man if he has not yet made the world better?

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue May 03, 2005 3:27 am
Meshugenah says...

I don't know when I started to write.. I have a little "book" I made when I was about six, i think, and it actually had a plot, well, almost. I also have several notebooks that are filled with half written stories, and some are long, some short, and there's one that wouldn't be half bad if I knew where it was going... I actually started to consciously write two years ago, and what I started then serves as the basis of what I am currently working on.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Tue May 03, 2005 3:41 am
ohhewwo says...

Yeah, I have so many unfinished stories from my childhood, too.
"The only difference between me and a mad man is that I am not mad."
-Salvador Dali, surrealist

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue May 03, 2005 6:39 am
Shadow Knight says...

I liked to write a bit, I was ok at it. In year 4 my teacher encouraged me to enter a writing compitition, which got me started. (Didn't win, or even get a reply)
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue May 03, 2005 6:42 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Snoink started it.

She had joined a writing site and was having fun. So I jumped on and decided I didn't like it. The end result was TYWC, which I kept at until Snoink showed me TYWS.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue May 03, 2005 6:55 am
Snoink says...

I started writing stories when I was six. I wanted to be an artist then, but when I found out that words could portray more vivid pictures than pictures themselves, I was hooked.

I couldn't write though... my teachers in elementary school thought I was creative, but worthless as a writer. It wasn't until I was pulled out of school when I was eleven did I learn how to write paragraphs, dialogue, or anything in that nature. I still have some work from that period, and let me tell you, that work is horrible. But, as I was unschooled at that time (unschooled is sort of like homeschooling, except instead of my parents teaching me, I teach myself), I was able to work on writing. So basically I taught myself about grammar and writing. Next time you look at my work, remember that I had no formal learning of English or writing whatsoever. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Tue May 03, 2005 7:15 am
Chanson says...

i never thought about it.

writing has always been there. i have stories from when i was 3.

i don't remember a time in my life where i didn't write.

i can't imagine a time in my life where i won't.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue May 03, 2005 2:07 pm
Rei says...

A lot of the best writers do badly with English in the education system. I mean, Roald Dahl, one of Britains top children's authors almost never got a good mark in reading and composition. The best way to learn how to be a good writer is to listen, and read all you can.

Anyway, to be perfectly honest the thing that made me start writing was bordom. When I was kid, I had no friends to play with during the summer when I wasn't in day camp. So I when rollerblading and biking all over the place to fill time, and stories just came out of that. Like for example, I used to have a fear of going down steep hills on my blades because I wasn't good at stopping and was worried about losing control, so I managed to turn that into a story when I was twelve.

When I was in grade nine, I got bored in my computer class, so I typed stories rather than doing my work, subsequently failing the course. However, a story I started in that class ended up turning into my first novella.

But in general, the thing that inspires me to write is stories. I have always loved story-telling, and that's what I do.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights