z

Young Writers Society

Broadway!

Reviews: 3
Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 am
inkdragon says...

Who has a favorite Broadway musical? I've never seen a real-life Broadway show, but I love the movies/plays...

--The Phantom Of The Opera

--The Sound Of Music

--The Fiddler On The Roof

--Singin' In The Rain

--Cinderella

And I REALLY want to see "WICKED"! I'm obsessed w/the music!
[Insert nifty quote here]

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:32 am
Cade says...

My high school is doing Fiddler right now.

I've never seen one on Broadway, but I'd love to! I am a huge fan of West Side Story...let's see, the King and I.... I like Wicked, too; I saw it in Cleveland and it's coming here this spring. I also saw Spamalot, Rent, and the Lion King on tour.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:32 am
AWritersFantasy says...

I've seen:

-Cats
-Kiss Me Kate
-Mama Mia
-Wicked (twice, though one wasn't until this November, and the first time was two years ago)
-Phantom of the Opera
-RENT

Technically I've only seen Cats, Mama Mia, Wicked and Phantom of the Opera actually on Broadway. Kiss me Kate was seen at a place in my state when my mother won tickets on the radio (she got two tickets and we got to ride in a limo and go to this fancy restaurant)...the second time I saw Wicked was also at a place similar to where I saw Kiss Me Kate. Same for RENT, which I saw a few weeks ago with my mom as a Christmas present from my sister. I saw Wicked the first time as a birthday present from my mom (so it'll be two years on the 15th, because it was the day after my birthday that we went). Phantom of the Opera was a birthday present from my dad last year, which I am still amazed to this day that he even went to see. He is NOT the musical loving kind of guy.

I absolutely adore Phantom, RENT, and Wicked. I don't remember much about Cats because I saw it in 8th grade (and considering I'm turning twenty-two a week from tonight...that makes it fairly long ago). I LOVE both the film versions of RENT and Phantom (er...the 2004 version of Phantom, since there are quite a few (I think) versions of it).

So yes. That is my Broadway story. XD

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:54 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, I've never been to Broadway, but the West End is the British equivalent, so:

The Lion King is, currently, my favourite. I love the music, and I love the show! Saw it last year in London.

Beauty and the Beast I saw on tour, and is, I think, a very well-structured musical - it works whether the costumes are grandly expensive or more frugal, whether the sets are simplistic or lavish.

Wicked I'm seeing this year - love the music, everyone who's seen it has said it's amazing (which was the same with TLK) and it looks fantastic.

Phantom of the Opera - I saw the film, and on second viewing liked the music a lot more (I think it's one of those where you have to know the music before you see it), so hopefully I will see it sometime in the future.

Cats - never saw the musical, but saw the film which is the next best thing. Love the music, but doubt I'll be seeing it any time in the near future. I'm sure they'll revive it some point, though, and it'll be touring a good while yet.

Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat I vaguely remember seeing on tour with school. As I say, it's a long time ago now, so I can't remember it very well - though I remember scenes with the heads of the brothers popping up over the edge of... can't for the life of me remember what set piece it was. And also the finale where they take his coat and hold it out. Liked the film as well.

Jesus Christ Superstar - love the music, and will definitely be seeing it when they revive it again.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Reviews: 3
Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 am
inkdragon says...

I forgot to mention "West Side Story"! I think that was the film that got me interested in Broadway in the first place. = )
[Insert nifty quote here]

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:02 am
BigBadBear says...

Oh my gosh! I am soooo freaking jealous of all of you who have seen Wicked! I love Wicked more than anything in the world!

Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Fiddler and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream coat are all amazing musicals.

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 am
JackBauerHasABaldSpot says...

Okay, here's mine:

Aida
Annie
Avenue Q (THIS one is my favorite right now)
Barnum (just a few songs, though)
Big River
Chicago
Dreamgirls
Evita
Grease
The King and I
La Cage aux Folles
Les Misérables
The Light in the Piazza
The Lion King
Monty Python's Spamalot
Oklahoma
Oliver
The Producers
Ragtime
Side Show
The Sound of Music
Titanic
The Tap Dance Kid
South Pacific
Sweeney Todd
West Side Story
The Wiz (personally, I prefer this to Wicked sometimes)
Wicked (though it tends to get old)

Needless to say, I'm obviously a dork about this, but I love Broadway musicals.
"...some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright."
-The Shawshank Redemption

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:08 am
BigBadBear says...

*looks at gigantic list*

Wow. Dude, you're so lucky. Lately, I've been obsessed with Chicago. I saw the play and the movie; loved both. Although, the ending (with Roxie in the court) *play verison* really was stupid. It was very immiturley done, but my mom disagrees.

Les Miserables was also one that I saw. And I loved it. I've read the (abridged) version of it and I love it to death. I need to read that again...

Oliver! Wow! What can I say? Amazingness?

Sound of Music was very, very boring. I mean, it starts off okay. But then it goes on. And on. And on. After about the fiftieth song, I'm so sick of it I want to throw up.

I've never heard of The Wiz... what's it about? Anything Wicked related, I need to see. XD

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:12 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

BigBadBear wrote:I've never heard of The Wiz... what's it about? Anything Wicked related, I need to see. XD

It's a retelling of The Wizard of Oz, with an all-black cast. At least, I think it is.

Here's the Wiki page.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:55 am
Veerocious says...

I've never seen a live broadway show but just saw it in youtube (hehe) but the broadway of Sweeney Todd (the one in 1975 with the original cast) is nice
"Do I like my coffee black? There are other colors?" - Author Unknown

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:53 pm
JackBauerHasABaldSpot says...

The Wiz is a musical tied to The Wizard of Oz, though it uses a different style of music throughout. The movie based on it was terrible, but the musical's pretty good. Like I said, I think it's better than Wicked.
"...some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright."
-The Shawshank Redemption

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:49 am
deleted6 says...

LES MISERABLES!

Only one I've seen but love it. There one I so wish I could see it's Jekyll & Hyde and the music level nears if not does surpass Les Miserables. In drama we're doing Les Miserables it's so difficult especially in small hall. God the music to Les Miserables in so invigorating. It's my fave musical followed by Jekyll & Hyde. I say that beats Les Miserables actually because the character played by one person. You should search for some of it on youtube, especially Facade
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon May 19, 2008 1:49 pm
Demeter says...

I've never seen any musical on Broadway, but I did see the Lion King in London. It's so, so great just like the movie! And I'm going to see the Phantom of the Opera in September... Yay! I also saw the Mamma Mia on tour.

And I've seen these movie versions:

Cats
My Fair Lady
Sound of Music
Grease
The Phantom of the Opera

Oh, I just love musicals.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Reviews: 0
Tue May 20, 2008 3:32 am
jenlynn619 says...

I'm really excited to be seeing my first actual Broadway play at the end of this year (not a musical though), but I've seen a few musicals in Chicago. My faves are:
RENT
Lion King
Phantom of the Opera
Les Miserables
Chicago

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Sun May 25, 2008 8:00 pm
Sapphire says...

I'm a big fan of musicals and theatre in general but I've never been to Broadway or even the West End unfortunately. :( I want to go to London next month and see Wicked and Hairspray. There are loads of shows I'd like to see but I think I'll go with these two since I've been desperate to see them both for a while.

I've seen Joseph and His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, Mamma Mia, Grease and Beauty and the Beast in the past and they were all brilliant. Seen loads of movie musicals on DVD but the best are Les Miserables and Phantom (the newer version). They're just amazing.

There's a Brazilian things you could write about. You just gotta pick Juan.
— Hattable