z

Young Writers Society

Art?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Nate says...

For the past few days, a couple of hippies have been setting up a piece of "art" on a small pedestrian bridge that I can see from right outside my window. This "art" consists of hanging a bunch of pots and pans from the bridge and having a sprinkler going round and round, which in turn bangs on the pans.

But is that art? Art is something that is definitely in the eye of the beholder, but I think projects like the above are just glorified trash; I even asked them what it's supposed to signify, and they said it's just art.

Needless to say, I hate so-called modern art. It requires no skill and is more often than not pure junk that someone found a new use for. And sometimes this modern art takes on new shades that is just downright filth; there is one example of one student who defacated on another student as part of an art exhibit in UCLA.

But that's just my opinion...

What is art to you? Does it have to be beautiful? Does it have to have a human touch; for instance, is a sunset art? Does it have to be symbolic of something? Can the chair that you sit in at school be called art?

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:31 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

i detest most modern art. some of it is ok to look at, but i detest in return the fact that someone payed an exhorbent ammount of money for that piece, when i could have done you the same thing for 5 bucks. Some modern art does take some skill, some of the sculpures do take some actual thought, but i still dont see paying 100,000 dollars for one piece of haphazardly thrown together pcb pipes.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:43 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I haven't done art since I was 14, so I know nothing about it. To me art is just something you can look up and feel something. Like if I looked at something and felt some kind of emotion from the piece then I'd think it's art because it's speaking to me. Is that weird? :oops:

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:58 pm
-KayJuran- says...

i cant say i have that much respect for some of the contempory art that ive seen... one
of my friends loves bauhaus but i prefer romantic, pre-raphaelite etc.

i just think that art should be beautiful...

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:00 pm
Zion says...

I hate pop art or modern art. Thats not art. Ok I'll crash my car in a wall and look art! 100.000 dollars cash! great! I loathe that sort of art. Its demented, twisted and theres almost no real creativity in it.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:08 pm
Lollipop says...

I think art is something that has to look really good because I'm a perfectionist. Art also has to look like something, not just a bunch of squiggles or lines and it has to be neat(This is my opinion, Im no art critic lol). Take the Mona Lisa for example, now that is art. It looks sooo real. And if you look at the pots and pans Nate was talking about. It's like "What?" I'd consider that music rather than art. Just a loud bang more like. Art in my eyes must be beautiful to look at and it must grasp your attention and keep you staring at it. Art is something that must be lovely not a loud bang from pots and pans. Hee Hee. Wow, now THAT was tha longest post I have ever written! lol

~Lollipop~
Way hay!!!!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:10 pm
Firestarter says...

Unfortunately art is incredibly hard to define and so leaves it open to debate. Art is often percieved by each person differently. In my opinion the "modern" art I see is a load of crap, but to someone else it might be genius. It's all perception.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:29 pm
Areida says...

Very true, Jack... I loathe modern art as well.... it's ridiculous.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:03 am
Crysi says...

Well, it seems I'm all alone in my liking of modern art. To me, it's like all art: some of it I like, some I don't. Personally, Nate, I'd love to see that hippie art thing! :lol:

Part of it is my synesthesia.. If it has the right shapes, I get a pleasant feeling (I literally feel it on my back and shoulders). If it clashes horribly, I get a bad feeling. Being a curious and somewhat eccentric person, I like to see how modern artists think of art. Now, the pricing I don't agree with, but that's another story.
Love and Light

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:53 am
Emma says...

I like morden art. It can actullay look good in morden homes.

While all the real fancy art can look out of place. I would say keep the really good art for rich houses. :P

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:28 pm
Voynaria says...

Modern art has many sub-categories, in fact it dates back to the first half of the 20th century so it's difficult to pin it down. Of course, one of the famous early cases was a man who tore out a urinal and put in an art gallery in NYC. Arguably anything can be art, it's the quality you perceive in it that makes it beautiful or any other adjective worthy of trading your cash with. The truth is, modern art has developed because the art world has always first and foremost been about money because for every artist with a true vision there are a million people with money to invest. If it sells it's going to be put in a gallery.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:41 pm
Lollipop says...

I'm not a fan of modern art. What's the point? It just looks stupid!

~Lollipop~
Way hay!!!!

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:08 pm
Emma says...

It looks nice in homes, thats all it should be used for, homes.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:44 pm
Sureal says...

*Sureal goes off to make some modern art*
*Sureal comes back*

Okay, here we have an empty twix packet. It represents the emptiness I feel inside myself - the way I feel I've been torn open and had my insides literally ripped out. And the lack of emotions that action gave me.
It also represents that I was hungry...

If you think that was a joke, then you're only half right. The last line is a joke, but the rest could be accepted as modern art (seriously).

On another note, did yah know that a guy got paid loads of money (not sure of the exact amount) for kicking a can down the road and proclaiming it art?
I. Kid. You. Not.
I wrote the above just for you.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:20 pm
Rei says...

My grandmother is a painter. A darn good one in my opinion, but she has a lot of trouble selling most of her paintings. Yet when she does something called a "stand and throw" which is basically putting paint on a brush and tossing it into her canvas. It's not supposed to look like anything, and doesn't take much effort. Yet these are the ones she sells with ease. Odd.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Who knew Kansas City had its own branch of the Yakuza?
— Jason Sudeikis