z

Young Writers Society

Younger Readers' Books

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:01 pm
Perra says...

Makes a reference to Buffy? :mrgreen: That'd score plenty points with me! :mrgreen: :xmas_wink:

Ella Enchanted!!! I just read that book last year because my best friend made me, and I loved it!!! Haven't seen the movie, yet, though. But it looks like they've changed quite a few things...
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:14 pm
niteowl says...

Oh my god, don't see the movie. It'll make you want to go puke somewhere. So cheesy so stupid so........AUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH! :x

An odd thing about the Ella Enchanted and Princess Diaries movies. Neither movie does justice to the book and there's a weird character switch. Ella is more like book-Mia, all liberal and protesting and such.

Mia's more like book-Ella all passive and kinda clumsy. Both movies star anne Hathaway (but I'm sure you knew that already) That girls gonna play princesses til she's 70 if she doesn't stop soon.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:15 pm
Tessitore says...

Ah, don't remind me of the movie, don't remind me. Please.

I haven't seen it, but I have NO plans on it. Just the previews alone made me want to gag. I was all, "NO! CURSE YOU, HOLLYWOOD!!! CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!" *fists raised to the sky, suddenly raining*

God, I hate book-to-movie adaptions. Gag me with a spoon.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:43 am
Skye says...

Except the Lord of the Rings...
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:30 am
niteowl says...

Yeah I actually liked the LOTR movies better than the books. They didn't drag on and on and on in the really exciting parts.

When I see book 2 movie adaptations I like to point out all the little things they change. Like how Wormtongue threw out the palantir in the book Two Towers but it just came out of nowhere in the movie.

But you know what I thought was really stupid about the 1st Harry Potter movie? They took out the most important part? How can they take out Snape's potion riddle thingy then claim he was trying to protect the stone? UGH!!!!!!!!

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:27 am
norris_redford says...

Abarat... I picked that one up in the the bookstore. Turned it over in my hands a few times. Read the back and inside. Smelled it (don't ask, it's what I do when I try to figure out how good a book will be... it works for me), stared at the front cover, read a few lines inside.

I was really ripped in half with that one. I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to read it. It looked good, but at the same time the front looked like Darth Vader with his mask off, so I wasn't sure if it was rip-offy or not.

What was it about?

Haha... feminist vampire... that's awesome. I'll have to look for that one.
Non omnis moriar.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:21 am
Tessitore says...

Yes, LOTR was pretty good, and a good adaptation, I heard (don't hurt me, I tried, I really did, but they just did NOT hook me [though I did read all of "Hobbit"]).

Abarat was pretty awesome. I didn't want to read it at first for the same reason I didn't want to read Harry Potter at first (and don't even get me started on those friggen movies)--they were so popular. I just naturally stray away from popular things, unless they really suit me. Abarat ended up being great, though. I generally like everything by Clive Barker, though, so...

Yeah. You really should read it when you got some time.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:05 am
WinterGrimm says...

Tessitore wrote:Ah, don't remind me of the movie, don't remind me. Please.

I haven't seen it, but I have NO plans on it. Just the previews alone made me want to gag. I was all, "NO! CURSE YOU, HOLLYWOOD!!! CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!" *fists raised to the sky, suddenly raining*

God, I hate book-to-movie adaptions. Gag me with a spoon.

You know its odd that this movie wasn't good because the writers also did 10 Things I hate About You which is a wonderful movie.
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro