z

Young Writers Society

How do you define these words?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:21 pm
Emerson says...

My friend is doing this weird-survey-ish thing and I told her I would help gather some information.

Don't think too hard, you can give short explanations or go into detail--I'm not sure it matters? But the shorter, the better.

Define these words, in your opinion:
    -Infatuation
    -Adoration
    -Fixation
    -Devotion
    -Admiration
    -Obsession
    -Enamored
    -Romance
    -Love

Thanks for humoring me!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:24 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Hmm...

My definition of these words is life.

Mainly because they are in everyone's life and sometimes they even wreck and ruin lives. So yeah, I'm simple and that is my definition.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:33 pm
Leja says...

-Infatuation: sounds like "inundation", like when someone permeates your life, but it definitely won't be lasting; an intense but passing thing

-Adoration: when you love someone for little to no reason; it's strong enough to be used conversationally "I just adore this book" but not always such a good thing when applied to a person

-Fixation: like a combination of infatuation and adoration; it seems a bit like tunnel vision

-Devotion: adoration and fixation gone overboard; usually, though not always; in not so great a way

-Admiration: the good connotation of adoration; adoration with a clear head

-Obsession: the longer lasting version of infatuation

-Enamored: reminds me of the Spanish "enamorarse" which is to have a crush on someone. Though in English it seems more like it would mean more than a crush? Somewhere between a crush and true love.

-Romance: seems more like a state of being than the rest, somewhere between being enamored and love.

-Love: eh, I don't know? seems like I have a scale kind of thing goin' on here, so I suppose Love would surpass everything else and not have any bad connotations about it, seems to have some kind of "pure" type connotation. EDIT: maybe all of everything rolled into one, so that everything is necessary, just the good will outweigh the bad... Funny how I can only define it in terms of other things, but not in terms of itself.

Hope that helped?

I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser