z

Young Writers Society

What Would Make YWS Easier To Use?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:59 am
Nate says...

What would make YWS easier to use in your opinion? Is there something you loath doing on this site because it takes too much time?

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:09 am
Black Ghost says...

I like to critique, but I loathe the way I have to do it. Always scrolling up and down, quoting things...it takes a while. :P

Maybe something to make critiquing easier? I'm not really sure how that would be possible, really, but I'm just throwing it out there. ^_^

MM

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:09 am
Emerson says...

Yes! And I've been meaning to suggest it for a while but I just... never did. I hate that we have drop down menus for forums, blogs, resources, and everything else except, "My YWS". I hate having to go there and then click on one of the three links...

Anything else? uuuh. Not yet.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:15 am
Leja says...

About critiquing: maybe some way you can figuratively scribble in the margins of a story then post just your notes? That's what I'd do if it were printed. Though I bet that'd be rather complicated. What if the quick reply box was along the side of the forum instead of at the bottom?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:18 am
Snoink says...

AmeliaOliver wrote:About critiquing: maybe some way you can figuratively scribble in the margins of a story then post just your notes? That's what I'd do if it were printed. Though I bet that'd be rather complicated. What if the quick reply box was along the side of the forum instead of at the bottom?

Like in Critique Circle? That might be kind of cool.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:20 am
Leja says...

Like woah; what is this place? *pokes and runs away*

NOTE: score with the settings menu :D
Last edited by Leja on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:20 am
Nate says...

Claudette's suggestion was easy, so I just implemented that.

Having the quick reply box float alongside the page would be pretty useful. I'll have to check on that.

2058 Reviews

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:24 am
Emerson says...

*hugs* I am happy.

And having the post box next to it would be so nice and give me more time to ramble! What about that nasty thing so when you hit one of the BBcode buttons in the "post a reply" box, and you have a scroll bar, it jumps you to the top?

what about more blog styles? I really like having a YWS blog, and I like mine as it is, but it would still be cool to have more choices. or is that not under your control...?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:29 am
Black Ghost says...

OMG, if you could get it like Critique Circle, that would be awesome. That site is nice and all, but I don't like their...let's say *style*. The forums here are way more interesting. But if not, the floating reply box thing would work well. :D

MM

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:05 am
Snoink says...

Can we have an icon for blogs on every post, like in olden times?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:59 am
whence says...

the fact that usertitles are larger than usernames. It seriously bugs me. And articles take to long to get to... if I want to read 'Poetry and Punctuation', it's 5 or so clicks away.
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:49 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

This wouldn't necessarily make things easier, but I've noticed that each time I post a reply in a thread for my chapter, my review count has gone up, even though I'm not actually giving a review in that case. On one hand it's good because the review count is higher but on the other hand, I don't think I've actually given that many reviews. o.o So...yeah. That's all I can think of at the moment.

2058 Reviews

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:18 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

This wouldn't necessarily make things easier, but I've noticed that each time I post a reply in a thread for my chapter, my review count has gone up, even though I'm not actually giving a review in that case. On one hand it's good because the review count is higher but on the other hand, I don't think I've actually given that many reviews. o.o So...yeah. That's all I can think of at the moment.

This was posed when the stars/review counts were set up in the first place, but it can't be done with coding and blah blah otherwise it would have been set up already. The counter can't tell the difference between a thread you started, and a thread someone else started. So take the advantage ^_~

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:42 pm
Swires says...

What we need is a WYSIWYG post box, or at least the option to. This would make posting critiques much friendlier.

And Ive asked about this for a while now: an option (jscript probs) to enlarge the postbox. At the moment I have to use a very iffy firefox mod to make the postbox bigger.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 pm
something euclidean says...

About critiquing: maybe some way you can figuratively scribble in the margins of a story then post just your notes? That's what I'd do if it were printed. Though I bet that'd be rather complicated.

The easiest way to do this - as is - is to quote the entire post and then color or bold your comments as you go line-by-line. You can read and crit as you go ... but you're not going to get a lot of points for it, because anything inside the 'quote' box doesn't count.

It would be nice if some things were consolidated -- there's a columns forum but also a 'writing tips' page you can get to from the top of the site. Maybe all the columns in that forum could get reposted into the tips, or vice versa? Little things like that would remove a bit of the clutter.

If a story is in you, it has to come out.
— William Faulkner