z

Young Writers Society

What will the Future Be Like?

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:05 am
Misty says...

Okay, don't flame me for this one, but my new book will be set in the future and I need some creative opinions that you don't mind if I use.

What will they:

Wear
Eat
Act like

What are some futuristic names
Should there be any new laws?
Will crime be taken as/more seriously?

oh...just basically what you think it'll be like. Any help would be seriously appreciated. Thanks!

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:13 am
Chevy says...

I think in like 50 years people will start naming there kids stuff like Pixie and Dimsy...don't ask why.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

Reviews: 1
Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:15 am
Baerodach says...

I'm going to name my child Megatron to start the trend w00t
All my life i've been searching for somethin',
something never comes never leads to nothin',
nothin satisfies but i'm gettin' close,
closer to the prize at the end of the rope.
All night long I dream of the day,
when it comes around and it's taken away,
leaves me with the feelin' that I feel the most,
feel it come to life when I see your ghost.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:21 am
Tara says...

Ever seen GATTACA? That's pretty much how I view the future. Kinda sad, but it seems about right to me.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:44 pm
Misty says...

yeah but I could use some specifics.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:28 pm
Emma says...

Okay...

I think we will have a mix of Victorian clothing with a bit of now added to it. The hair will have completly new styles and no one would want to be blonde! Everyone would want dark hair.

We would eat normal foods, though by then we would be finding new animals and plants and eat them too. So we will have more of a mix. Though more people would want to be vegatarians.

They will all act normal, though they would respect live more.

The names will be: What chevy said, as they are so cool! Im going to do that! Bawahaha

What I think happens in the future is this: Something goes wrong on earth, a bomb wasn't made right. It goes up, destroying half the world, the core of the earth is spilt up. The broken half will join up to mars, (somehow) and they would be called: Marerth. The other half stays the same and people get on with their lifes, building new communites and building new spacecrafts. The Marerth though has only a few things left. After NASA thousands of years ago made air by the hundreds of factories the other half was able to live there. Though they have to start over again and life is very different between both worlds.

And the crime rate will go up as in both worlds for a while, its every man for himself.

Thats just my idea, and I like it! YEY

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:19 pm
Nate says...

Now this is a big thing with me :D

Names: Names aren't going to change in the future per se, but you will see certain names popping up more often. For instance, if your story is set in the United States at least fifty years from now, then Jose would be just as appropiate a name as Tom. But you also aren't going to see any new names; after all, names have remained virtually unchanged for thousands of years now.

Clothes: Actual clothing is not going to change much either, if at all. People will still be wearing jeans, t-shirts, and the like.

Act like: Again, the same as now.

New laws: It depends on what society you're trying to develop and where the society is based, but for something like a 21st America, no new laws really. There'll most likely be much stricter laws against hacking as well as specific bans, or specific allowance, of scientific procedures such as cloning and nano-technology.

The latter that I mentioned (nano-technology) is actually going to the biggest change, and it's going to change a lot. Right now, nano-technology is used in a variety of products from stain-proof pants to sunscreen, but this is merely the low end applications of the product.

Once nano-technology is well developed, it will allow for the construction of minuscule robots that you can program to do just about everything. The near term potential (ten years) is that nanobots will be used to detect cancer and even fight it. Medium term is for lengthening life (some have even said that nano-technology has the potential to make someone live forever). But in the long term, nano-technology will enable construction workers to build a skyscraper in an afternoon or even build a car you designed using your computer.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:45 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I don't have much of an opinion about most of this. I'm waiting to find out what happens in the future.

But as for names... I don't know if anyone else has heard about this, but there are 2 kids in the USA who are named ESPN after the sport channel. I think we're gonna see more things like that in the future.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases...
— John Keats