z

Young Writers Society

I'll have a pint....of blood

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:12 pm
Midnight says...

Blood Bank came to school today, was finally old enough to do it and gave a pint.

Really doesn't hurt most people should, you don't even have to look at the needle!

Don't they pay you in America? That seems stupid, we do it here for free.
available

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:12 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

umm... the last time i had blood taken i screamed. the inner elbow is one of the few places i cant stand to have a needle. in the forearm is no problem, but i just cant handle the inner elbo where they take blood. otherwise id give all i could.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:15 pm
niteowl says...

The inner elbow, that's where I had my blood drawn for a health screening. Hardly bothered me at all. My poor sister. It took them FOREVER to find her vein.

I would donate my blood, but I'm not old enough.

I don't know if you get paid, but don't you get juice and a cookie?
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:04 pm
Nate says...

Some places will pay you, but I'm not actually sure where those places are or even if they do indeed exist. However, you do get juice/soda and a cookie :D

I've given blood three times now, but I haven't done so in over a year because the last time I did it, I almost blacked out. It was really strange... I had to start struggling to stay concious, the room got real spinny-like, and I was sweating like mad. The people wouldn't let me leave for like an hour. So, needless to say, I'm kind of wary of donating blood again, even though the first two times went absolutely fine.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:26 am
Elelel says...

I can be pretty squeamish at times ... meaning sometimes I can have blood splattering all over me and I'd be laughing, but sometimes my legs would go all wobbly and collapse. I'm not terrified of needles, but I'd rathr not have them. Much rather not.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:48 pm
Tara says...

Did you know that they caught the Red Cross throwing out hundreds of gallons of blood? NOT EVEN USING IT! How about that? Hmph. :evil:
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:58 am
Nate says...

Was the blood contaminated at all?

If they were throwing out good blood, then that's troubling; especially since they are always saying that they are running low on blood.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:00 am
niteowl says...

Yeah that is. But I heard that it spoils after a time, like three months or so, so they have to throw it out because lots of people donated like after September 11th, but they didn't need all that blood right after September 11th.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:26 am
Incandescence says...

I think they only pay people to donate Plasma, not blood. Which they do internationally, last time I checked, because most of the testing is done by one corporation. At any rate, yeah, I would donate blood if I could.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:33 am
Elizabeth says...

Blood? Taken from me and put into another? bwahahah you people don't know what you're in for.
Blood is donated to people who have the same type as you right? and only them?

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:27 am
Emma says...

Yes,

My dad has rare blood, so he donates alot of blood. Its quite cool cos he gives us the stickers he gets. YEY free stickers!

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:20 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

he's AB negative. so am i, so is my father.
blood expires if they dont use it fast enough, thats why it got thrown out.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

65 Reviews

Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:05 pm
Midnight says...

Are you sure you mean the Red Cross? Why would they have loads of blood, but then I suppose there are reasons why they would throw it away nonetheless.

Yeah I used to hate the inner elbow injection but then I had Pnemonia when I was ten and I kinda got used to it.

Isn't AB negative the one where you can be given any type of blood? And O- is the universal donor?

Perhaps that's wrong, I'm not attacking just wondering.

Brad, Do you meet Paletes? BEcause they throw the plasma away, they don't tend to use it.
available

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:11 pm
Incandescence says...

Well...hm...I know in my PMED 5636 course, we used Plasma all the time to analyze and research viruses and the like. I'm going to make the connection and say plasma is more or less used in the research aspect of the medical field, as opposed to actual transplants.

At any rate, I know that in Beaumont/Houston/Jasper, you don't get paid for donating BLOOD, but you can get paid for plasma, which for a pint of plasma, I believe it's a 4.5 hour activity. Eek.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

65 Reviews

Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:23 pm
Midnight says...

I'm sure your thinking Platelets. When you donate plasma that's just like normale. Although it's ture Plasma can be used for some research. But often they throw plasma away and just use the red blood cells.

Palates they get your blood take out the platles and put it back in you.
available

constant state of confuzzle
— Quillfeather