z

Young Writers Society

Topic where we celebrate the victory of Million Dollar Baby

Random avatar

Reviews: 92
Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:23 pm
lin night says...

Million Dollar Baby was without a doubt the best American movie of 2004. Say what you will about Martin Scorcese being snubbed for Best Director, but don't even pretend The Aviator or Sideways was superior to MDB. Sideways was a funny and heartwarming dramedy that deserves the praise it has received; however, I see it as similar to About Schmidt in that you can't really complain about it but you know deep down inside it's not a full-blown masterpiece. Payne is a relatively young man - he will prove himself with bigger, better works later down the line I'm sure. Same with Scorcese (except for the young part). And it doesn't necessarily matter that he hasn't been recognized because Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and Goodfellas are all classics that will never be forgotten anyway.
Now let's look at Million Dollar Baby, a simple story with a brilliantly engineered last act. The final 30 minutes or so (I never felt inclined to check the time) are absolutely devastating in terms of sheer sadness and beauty. And it would not be half as effective if not for the phenomenally-acted boxing story that preceded it. MDB is a reminder of the profound emotional punch the medium still has to offer after all these years.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:30 pm
niteowl says...

Sorry, but I've never heard of Million Dollar Baby. What did it win? I totally don't watch the Oscars. I value my beauty sleep thankyouverymuch.

What about Phantom of the Opera? Or did it not get in theaters in time to be nominated? No wait I thought it was up for 6. It should have won!

There I already said it for you, certain someone who is obsessed with PoTO *coughmarchinggurl89cough*
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:27 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

Right on Nite =P~
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:48 am
nickelpickle says...

Im not into musicals and havent yet seen million dollar baby...a bunch of people said it was awesome though

Despite everything, it's still you.
— TobyFox