33 Dead in College Shooting

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:01 pm
sabradan says...

Ryan Clark, RA
Liviu Librescu, professor.

Theres two, I don't go to VT.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:04 pm
Via says...

Yes, I know a few too.....but we are kind of the exception because we have been on top of it for the past few days. I mean the general public, the people not having discussions like these. The people going around saying how many people were killed and how it's the new highest death rate of a shooting rampage. Those people.

I am trying really hard not to make this into a debate. I would appreciate it if you would not try hard to make it into one. Not telling you what to do, just asking you a favor. I like discussing the issues surrounding this event, but I will not debate them.
Last edited by Via on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

147 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:05 pm
sabradan says...

Claudette wrote:
Theres only so many times/ways you can say "Im so sad", Claudette.

True ;-) but for some reason I have an overwhelming respect for the death, especially in large numbers. Which is odd coming from me because I've never been to a funeral even (at least, not at an age where I understood what was going on). I've only had one family member in my life die, I'm rather sheltered from death. So it shocks me, more than anything. I've never really felt that loss that is death.

I'm scared for the families though. I mean, when your kids go to college, you are excited to see their future and the progress they are making and then...this. It's devastating.

But I do see your side as well :-D There are bound to me discussions beyond "how sad".

Its fine to have respect for the dead. You think I dont? Just because we talk, and discuss, etc doesn't make us any less respectful of their deaths. If anything, its more respectful, as it eventaully (hopefully) will lead to some kind of solution that we should try to get in place in our respective schools, thus preventing something liek this from ever happening again.

And Clau, I'm the opposite of you--I'm used to death, and I no longer fear it, etc. However, just the sheer amount of numbers, coupled with the stupidity/failure to act on the VT Police, its just devastating.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:23 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

There is one thing I find a little... I'm not sure of a word for it. I cannot think of one.

I heard on the news, about the shooter. He was an English student at the college, and had written things (I believe scripts?) that included pedophilia and murder, the only two things spoken of on my local news network.

Obviously this is something to look into, they are psychologically examining the shooter. Though, I am bothered slightly. Some may, or may not know, I also write thing about very controversial topics, although I perhaps may not be as graphic as the shooter may have been, I cannot know. But I do tend to write towards things of that nature, some on YWS, others not. It makes me feel a little odd, but was he psychologically disturbed and I am...what?

It's makes me feel strange.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:27 am
Trident says...

There's a fine line between artistic expression and pure aggression, rage, and perversion.
Perception is everything.

Random avatar

Reviews: 333
Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:40 am
emotion_less says...

just because you don't know names of people does not make people heartless. yes, we are still sad. we don't need to know the name of a person to be sad of the end of their life.

claudette: yeah, i know what you mean. but i think what he did and what writers do are separate things... writing is an escape of life, an escape of reality. he wrote to escape reality, but he followed through with it. which was completely uncalled for.

this whole thing is just so horrible... =(

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:42 am
Loose says...

oh my god I saw a film recording of this on someones phone. It was filmed outside the school and all you could here was these gun shots ringing through the school, about 7 or 8 i think were recorded, and then the filmer dropped there phone and ran. I shuddered when i saw it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:54 am
Sarahcat210 says...

A few of my teachers were talking about this in school today, and the class had a discussion about it in one class. I feel bad for those involved in it and their friends and families.

Not sure if this is true, but I heard that the shooter was an engineering student :?:

SC
One day, one night, one moment
My dreams could be tomorrow

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:09 am
Via says...

Yes, he was a 23-year-old English student.

Clau>> I don't think that fact should make you feel any different about yourself. Each situation is different, and deserves a fresh look. Cho obviously had other warning signs, and had serious problems in which you do not seem to exhibit. I am an English major, I sometimes write incredibly depressing things--but that doesn't mean I'm going to kill myself...ya know? However, with Cho I think his writings actually got him referred to counseling, but there just isn't much else a professor can do besides talk to the student. It's a fine line that professors must walk with student work.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:44 am
Nate says...

If there is one thing that we need to learn from this episode, it is to reach out to others and act compassionate toward everyone. No idea if that would have helped in this event, and it does actually sound like a lot of people did try to intervene in his life as much as they could. But, these mindsets begin in middle school, and it's important that everyone is treated as you would treat yourself.

I'm still shocked by what happened. It makes life seem surreal.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:14 am
Snoink says...

:(

This sucks.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:21 am
LowKey says...

God, this is terrible. There are videos on CNN. This is just wrong. This should never happen. I mean, look at all the school shootings in the past. It was the student who had a gun, or the principle who had a gun in his trunk, or the citizen down the street that stopped them. The laws are only going to stop the people who obey the laws. If my dad wakes up and wants to buy drugs for what ever reason, he can do that. He can do that all day and not get caught. If they outlaw guns, Dad could get those, too. I could get those. Now, that school was a gun free environment. No body had a gun. Except the bad guy. If there were three or four people packing a gun, that guy would’ve been stopped a lot faster. It may’ve been three people instead of thirty three. And it only takes one person willing to pull the trigger to stop that dude.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

2058 Reviews

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:17 pm
Emerson says...

It's everywhere. And it probably will be for a long time.

Heck, they had it on the hour long local news last night, the only story besides that I even think they mentioned was new information on the Michael Devlin case, which is a big deal where I live. I was surprised how the Michael Devlin thing wasn't broad casted around the united states as much as I thought it would have been...

Two of the most disturbing, horrible acts were on the news last night, and only those. This makes me a little scared of college even. One student from VA said she would walk around campus at 3am and feel safe. What now? Of course, you come to the reality that you are never safe, but to have to fight that is insane because life is a constant impossibility.

But...things this large are beyond the reach of things. I still don't know what to think of it.

I also heard of a twin who lost his brother, which feels odd to me. I've been wanting to ask a really good friend of mine, who is a twin, what he thinks of this. But I haven't gotten a chance. If they were identical, you look at the mirror, and see your lost love one. How tragic?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

147 Reviews

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:29 pm
sabradan says...

Claudette wrote:It's everywhere. And it probably will be for a long time.

Heck, they had it on the hour long local news last night, the only story besides that I even think they mentioned was new information on the Michael Devlin case, which is a big deal where I live. I was surprised how the Michael Devlin thing wasn't broad casted around the united states as much as I thought it would have been...

Two of the most disturbing, horrible acts were on the news last night, and only those. This makes me a little scared of college even. One student from VA said she would walk around campus at 3am and feel safe. What now? Of course, you come to the reality that you are never safe, but to have to fight that is insane because life is a constant impossibility.

But...things this large are beyond the reach of things. I still don't know what to think of it.

I also heard of a twin who lost his brother, which feels odd to me. I've been wanting to ask a really good friend of mine, who is a twin, what he thinks of this. But I haven't gotten a chance. If they were identical, you look at the mirror, and see your lost love one. How tragic?

Well, thats kinda the truth. Life NEVER IS safe. Life is not about being safe. The sooner people realize that, the better. They will stop being so preoccupied with safety and just live their lives. Thats not to say not take precautions but don't let it control your life, don't live in fear. I realized that, and now I am free.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

2058 Reviews

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:36 pm
Emerson says...

See, I ignore all the things that 'might happen' in the world. All those 'What if...'s but it's somewhat hard for me ^^' I've never been outrageous with it, at least, I don't worry about my safety. But, I am prone to horribly illogical anxiety. Lucky me, I don't go to school everyday thinking "Will I die?" instead I go to school thinking, "If I don't get an A, I will die." I'm a perfectionist with anxiety disorder -_-

But, yes, live isn't about protect yourself. It is about enjoyment. And I pray that they all had enjoyment in there lives before they passed on, and I'm sure they did. (I'm not sure whether to say I include the shooter in this or not... he is dead as well but, he caused this.)

"While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."
— Albus Dumbledore