z

Young Writers Society

Dragons FTW!

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:00 pm
Incandescence says...

You have to admit, though, Spyro is pretty cute.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:16 pm
Ego says...

Dreamer--While you made strong points and came up with many good reasons why a dragon symbolizes power and ferocity etc etc etc....those traits do NOT represent YWS.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:43 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Neither do the foolishness and banana addiction, that are normally accociated with monkeys, represent YWS.

Sureal, you say that tigers, sharks, wolves etc. are more agresive than monkeys, yet they are only aggresive when hunting, protecting cubs (not in the case of a shark, obviously), etc. Monkeys are far more territorial, and will easily kill each other for their territory.

In reference to the Outbreak and 28 Days Later argument, I said that the monkeys were carriers, not the cause. And, to be honest, as monkeys are very mobile, that is just as bad.

On a different subject, but keeping to monkeys, a quote from Wikipedia:

Bored monkeys can become extremely destructive and may, for example, smear or throw their own feces. Most adolescent monkeys begin to bite unpredictably and pinch adults and children. Monkeys eventually can become wild and difficult to control upon reaching adulthood. The monkeys may also become aggressive even to their owners. In some cases their behavior can change abruptly, making it hard for the owner to fully understand or control them.

That is regarding keeping monkeys as pets, and, as is common sense, what they do with people is reminiscent of what they would do with their family groups in the wild. What a pleasant mascot. Gets a little bored, throws a little feces, does a little unpredictable biting and pinching, eventually becomes a little wild and beyond control.

Very cute.

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:09 pm
Meep says...

Can we just settle this and go with Chinese dragon, since dragons seem to have won, and Chinese dragons are not destructive/evil/etc?*

---
*and pretty damn cool looking
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:22 pm
Sureal says...

KazSmurf:

Sureal, you say that tigers, sharks, wolves etc. are more agresive than monkeys, yet they are only aggresive when hunting, protecting cubs (not in the case of a shark, obviously), etc. Monkeys are far more territorial, and will easily kill each other for their territory.

As you said, monkeys are only aggressive for territorial reasons. Many predators (yes, that includes tigers and wolves) are just as (and in some cases, even more) territorial, along with the killing for eating and in defence.

Also, did you known dolphins kill for fun? Makes monkeys look tame in comparison, eh?

In reference to the Outbreak and 28 Days Later argument, I said that the monkeys were carriers, not the cause. And, to be honest, as monkeys are very mobile, that is just as bad.

Then your point was pointless from the start ;).

That is regarding keeping monkeys as pets, and, as is common sense, what they do with people is reminiscent of what they would do with their family groups in the wild. What a pleasant mascot. Gets a little bored, throws a little feces, does a little unpredictable biting and pinching, eventually becomes a little wild and beyond control.

Monkeys only act like that as pets because they're intelligent and need lots of stimulation.

In your quote, you missed out bits before and after the text you selected.

Wikipedia wrote:'They require constant supervision and mental stimulation. They usually require a large amount of attention. Monkeys cannot handle being away from their owners for long periods of time, such as family trips, due to their need of attention.'

As I said, they need a lot of stimulation due to their intelligence.

Wikipedia wrote:Some people do report having long and rewarding relationships with monkeys. Monkeys are known to get attached to their first owner, so switching from one to another can be traumatic to the monkey and may aggravate behavioral problems. It is not easy for a monkey to get used to a new environment. Monkeys need to be placed in social areas.

See? Monkeys aren't all bad.

Dragons however, are usually depicted in the West as evil and greedy man killers. Not always, but that is the general depiction. Look at The Hobbit, for example.

Meep: Dragons haven't won. The final round of voting hasn't opened yet.
I wrote the above just for you.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:26 pm
Meep says...

Sorry, I must've misread.

... I still say Chinese dragons.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:15 am
Empress Kat says...

Dragons are Hummers of the mascot world. They seem cool in the beginning. Everyone thinks, Ooo I want that! It's powerful, it's pretty, it's MINE!

Then reality sets in. Dragons pollute, destroy the environment, and bring society down in every sense. They are too big and gaudy to take anywhere. There is a whole god-complex to people who drive Hummers, and like dragons. Dragons themselves are full of self-love, and I don't want to be associated with those who would destroy the world for self -pleasure.

Don't choose hummer... it may seem "cool" now... but think of who you are, not some imaginary creature you wish you were.

Vote Monkey!
Plan B is always "Die Trying."

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:24 am
Crysi says...

KazSmurf wrote:
Bored monkeys can become extremely destructive and may, for example, smear or throw their own feces. Most adolescent monkeys begin to bite unpredictably and pinch adults and children. Monkeys eventually can become wild and difficult to control upon reaching adulthood. The monkeys may also become aggressive even to their owners. In some cases their behavior can change abruptly, making it hard for the owner to fully understand or control them.

Actually, that might describe a couple members quite well... ;)

Hey, Meep has a point - dragons have already won. Psh, we don't need the final vote. Read it and weep, fur-butts. Dragons have this election.
Love and Light

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:53 pm
Snoink says...

Meep wrote:Can we just settle this and go with Chinese dragon, since dragons seem to have won, and Chinese dragons are not destructive/evil/etc?*

---
*and pretty damn cool looking

I don't know. Chinese dragons are wise and everything, but they don't DO anything. I mean, they're wise, but what else? You see, writing isn't about being wise or anything (unless you're a really really bad writer). Writing is about doing. To be a writer (a good one, anyway) is to be a revolutionary since you are supposed to present something in a new and interesting way. Chinese dragons are not very revolutionary in the mythology.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:24 pm
Empress Kat says...

Ok, I see that famous dragons are a popular point... and just to be fair:

Abu (from Aladdin)
Amy (from Congo)
Beppo the Super monkey (Superman)
Bessie (Beverly Hillbillies)
Binks (Ace Ventura)
Boots (Dora the Explorer)
Bubbles (Dragon Ball Z)
Chee-Chee (Dr. Doolittle)

http://www.citizenlunchbox.com/monkey/famous/

And oh so many more. so lets realize this is a vote on the mascot. not a leader. So stop throwing around names.
Plan B is always "Die Trying."

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:03 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Haku (Spirited Away)
Saphira, Glaedr (Inheritance)
Menolly's nine Fire Lizards and Canth (Dragonsong Trilogy)
Mistral (Tiger Blood Trilogy)
What's the little dragon in the "Mulan" movie called? Yeah, that one.

Gimme some help here, dragon-lovers! Those are all the dragons I've encountered recently...
ohmeohmy

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:31 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Draco - Dragonheart
Drake - Dragonheart II
Smaug - The Hobbit (you can't deny he's cool, and if Tolkien considers them worth using, so should we all)
Spyro - Spyro games
Puff - Puff the Magic Dragon
Norbert - Philosopher's Stone

Also, dragons get a rough deal. If you had loads of people running after you with swords, calling themselves dragon-slayers and wanting your head, you'd be a bit moody too.

Go Dragons!!!!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Reviews: 3
Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:42 pm
inkdragon says...

Hear, hear!
(or is it "here, here"?)

Vote dragon!!
[Insert nifty quote here]

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:23 pm
Ego says...

Kaz--the only reason the people ARE running after them with swords calling themselves dragon slayers is because the dragons razed their villages and stole their maidens ;)
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:25 pm
Sureal says...

Why are you listing dragon names from media?
I wrote the above just for you.

You cannot understand and disagree.
— P. D. Ouspensky