z

Young Writers Society

U of I retires Chief Illiniwek

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:16 am
sabradan says...

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/u_of_i/2007/02/16/chief_illiniweks_last_dance_set_for_feb_21
Due to pressure from NCAA as well as the "Anti-Chief" student group, U of I has officially retired its beloved symbol, who many see as the "soul" of the University, Chief Illiniwek.
Despite much protest from Pro-Chief student groups, alumni, and the closest relatives of the Illiniwek tribe, the Peoria tribe, who have been relocated to Oklahoma last century, the Chief's last performance is scheduled for February 21st.
"To say that we are anything but proud to have these portrayals would be completely wrong. We are proud. We're proud that the University of Illinois, the flagship university of the state, a seat of learning, is drawing on that background of our having been there. And what more honor could they pay us?"
-Don Giles, Chief of the Peoria Tribe, 1995
The Peoria Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma are the closest living descendants of the Illiniwek Confederacy, having been relocated to Oklahoma in the 19th century.
The University of Illinois is ripping out the heart and soul of every ILLINI fan, not too mention the entire university as an institution. Rumor has it that money is a huge motivating factor because the NCAA has stupid rules against any team with Native American names/symbols can't host post season tournaments, which bring in money, and the University wants to be able to host these tournaments. Yet, they are still keeping the name ILLINI, because, well, if they tried to change that, the entire state would have to change its name, lol. And it is probably going to backfire because alot of Alumni will probably stop giving because they retired the Chief.

I am so fucking pissed about this, and I don't even go to U of I. ...Yet. I plan on applying over the summer and hopefully attending starting in fall of '08. Hopefully. But anyway. I've been an Illini fan all my life and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Chief. What the University is doing is ripping out the soul of not only U of I athletics, but the University as a whole.
I am so sad about this, I actually cried. And I'm man enough to admit it. He is an institution. He represents pride, tradition and loyalty among other things.

Its not like he's some stupid mascots throwing fake tomahawks at the opposing teams mascots. For those of you who don't know/have never seen Cheif Illiniwek, he is the SYMBOL, not MASCOT of the U of I. The Illini natives have helped the University develop a traditional dance routine, which he performs at all home games. All the spectators are respectful, and no one is "made fun of", yet a bunch of lilly white (expletives) decided that the Chief is somehow racially insensitive, or "making fun" of the Illini, when in fact, he honors them and their traditions, adn the fact that they were here first.

It really pisses me off. Not only that, but especially because FSU can keep their seminoles and their symbol, who also works with the Seminole nation for an accurate display, but we can't keep our much more dignified Chief. :(

For those of you who've never seen the Chief:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJy_Dab6Jn8&mode=related&search=
And here's the "War Chant" aka the U of I "fight Song" which will probably wind up being changed too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfZfbQXInHU

Does anyone else think this is utterly retarded and bogus?

Join me in a loud chant of LOYAL TO YOU ALWAYS, CHIEF ILLINIWEK!

ILL-INI
ILL-INI

ILL...
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

"Do not try to be pretty. You weren't meant to be pretty; you were meant to burn down the earth and graffiti the sky. Don't let anyone ever simplify you to just 'pretty'"
— Suzanne Rivard