z

Young Writers Society

Academy Awards

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:57 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

The Academy Awards are coming up soon, so what movie do you think should win best picture for 2004, or any other category for that matter? Note that your answer could be any movie from 2004, not just the ones that got the nomination.

For myself...

Finding Neverland should win best picture
Shrek 2 should win best animated film
Passion for best cinematography

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:31 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

gosh nate thanks for reminding me...the grammys are tonight!

i have no idea. I didn't really go to any movies, except for Shrek 2. I personally believe that they should have 'stupidest film'...Napoleon would definitely win that.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:05 pm
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Why on earth should anyone care? Aren't there starving children in Somalia?

It's all poshlust.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:36 pm
Incandescence says...

Oh, so not caring about the Academy Awards somehow makes the starving kids in Somalia feel so much better.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

425 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:53 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

QiGuaiGongFu wrote:Why on earth should anyone care? Aren't there starving children in Somalia?

It's all poshlust.

Please do not put me in the awkward position of having to debate with you in order to defend a topic that I started. Keep such statements to the debate and serious discussion thread and do not post further in this thread unless it pertains to the topic at hand. The problem with your statement is that it could easily be extrapolated to any sort of dicussion. Why should we talk about anything at all while other people suffer under the unrighteous whims and pernicious natures of a dictator in Sudan? Do not pretend to somehow be morally superior.

Once again, if you wish to make such statements in the future or if you wish to continue this, keep it to the debate and serious discussion thread.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:38 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Well, I didn't really like any movies that were nominated this year. I think all of the movies nominated for best picture were just underrated. I mean, how many people have seen Finding Neverland? The Aviator is at the top of my list for best picture, and Shrek 2 for best animated. Holiday Romance is probably going to win best short film. Other than that, I don't have many predictions.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

425 Reviews

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:02 am
Nate says...

Just went to see Million Dollar Baby, and I'm pretty sure that's up for best picture as well. Anyway, I no longer think Finding Neverland deserves it... Million Dollar Baby does. It's a great, great movie that will leave you absolutely breathless at the end. It's the first time I ever saw a movie where not a single person left as soon as it ended; for at least a minute, everyone in the theatre just sat there.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:32 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Yes, it is up for best picture. AH! NATE! You just made me want to see it. I don't want to spend 7 bucks again...Ooh, pay-per-view or blockbuster...hmm...

The Aviator I think deserves it. It was a pretty good movie but kind of corny at times. I'll stick by that until I see Million Dollar Baby.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:33 pm
Midnight says...

I haven't seen a lot of the stuff on it. But Just for fun as some of these are just who I imagined to be great, have seen some of them though anyway...

Best Picture: Sideways

Best Actor: Jamie Fox

Best Actress: Imelda Staunton

Supporting Actor: Thomas Haden Church/ Clive Owen

Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett

Directing...Contreversial but Scorsese I don't care if The Aviator wasn't good (haven't seen it) but he deserves recognition for his other great films such as Goodfellas.

Best New Screenplay: Eternal Sunshine

Best Adaption: Motorcycle Diaries/ Sideways

Best Animated Film: The incrediables
available

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:04 pm
View Likes
Ravenna says...

I am so angry and those Oscar people! GRRR!! I stayed up until midnight to see if Johnny Depp was going to finally win best actor. That's 2 years in a row. 2 stinkin' years. Everyone knows he's the best actor EVER! Helloo? Not to mention he's the hottest guy in the entire universe! Ok...I'll get off my soapbox. Just had to voice that little opinion!
From falcon's wings thou cometh forth; to streams of fire, bringeth thee.
~Tul rhofal amruun;sarin naur siiir, tegi lyaa.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:17 pm
Midnight says...

Yeah haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, so hard to comment

5/9 of the onesI wanted to win did though
available

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:29 pm
View Likes
Duskglimmer says...

Anybody else think that PHANTOM OF THE OPERA should have gotten Cinematography?

I almost screamed when THE AVIATOR got it!
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln