z

Young Writers Society

"Articulate"

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:40 pm
Cade says...

SENATOR JOSEPH R. BIDEN’S characterization of his fellow Democratic presidential contender Senator Barack Obama as “the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy” was so painfully clumsy that it nearly warranted pity.

There are not enough column inches on this page to parse interpretations of each of Mr. Biden’s chosen adjectives. But among his string of loaded words, one is so pervasive — and is generally used and viewed so differently by blacks and whites — that it calls out for a national chat, perhaps a national therapy session.

It is amazing that this still requires clarification, but here it is. Black people get a little testy when white people call them “articulate.”

Here's the full article from nytimes.com: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/weekinreview/04clemetson.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:42 am
Middle Children says...

That guy. Is clearly. An idiot.
We are the middle children of history.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:50 pm
Cade says...

In terms of political correctness, he's an idiot. His words could've been meant as a compliment, but of course the public notices that they were complimenting an African-American. I do think that Sen. Biden chose his words poorly, but I also think that people need to be a little less PC and just brush it off. Of course stereotypes still exist. Pretending that they don't only prepares one for shock when they pop up. Sure, I'm pissed off when people make comments like that about women or teenagers, but I don't have a tantrum about it.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

A beautiful funeral doesn't guarantee Heaven.
— Haitian Proverb