z

Young Writers Society

Columbine Video Game

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:01 pm
Cade says...

Disturbing? Or example of the power of free speech?
Here's the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/arts/28chap.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:46 pm
Bjorn says...

My friend played it, said it was terrible...
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:37 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Not a good example of free speech, not a good game.

Plus, that was made in RPG Maker. Probably took about 30 minutes to make.

Probably just wanted attention.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Tara says...

I'm all for free speech, but there's a difference between 'free speech' and tasteless video games.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:29 am
Snoink says...

That's just sick.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:10 am
Via says...

Um no. Just ... no. There is nothing else to be said.

No.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:23 am
electricbluemonkey says...

I disagree completely.

Why can't someone make a video game about the Columbine shootings? There are hundreds of video games (and movies for that matter) about even greater tragedies such as World War II and Vietnam. Shouldn't we censor them too?

In the Columbine RPG, you play the role of the two gunmen, killing a dozen innocent humans. In, let's say...Call of Duty (I don't play video games) you play the role of a soldier, killing hundreds of not-so-innocent but still human beings.

The creation of this game wasn't a call for attention. The 25 year old who made the game was frequently bombarded by the media covering the story. He was new to the RPG maker program thing, and just decided to create a game on something affecting his life at the time.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:12 am
Sponson Light says...

electricbluemonkey wrote:I disagree completely.

Why can't someone make a video game about the Columbine shootings? There are hundreds of video games (and movies for that matter) about even greater tragedies such as World War II and Vietnam. Shouldn't we censor them too?

In the Columbine RPG, you play the role of the two gunmen, killing a dozen innocent humans. In, let's say...Call of Duty (I don't play video games) you play the role of a soldier, killing hundreds of not-so-innocent but still human beings.

The creation of this game wasn't a call for attention. The 25 year old who made the game was frequently bombarded by the media covering the story. He was new to the RPG maker program thing, and just decided to create a game on something affecting his life at the time.

Because it is based on real life, happened "recently", and there is the generation that experienced it.
If it were renamed to something different, and perhaps altered just a bit, no one would really care.

Think about it, a First Person Shooter based in Iraq/the Vietnam on the side of the Iraqi gunning down American Soldiers, or a First Person Shooter based on the British side in the Revolutionary War, gunning down Successionists?

Both are based in real events. However, the Iraqi gunning down modern soldiers is a lot more appaling because it is a recent and still happening event.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:38 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

electricbluemonkey wrote:I disagree completely.

There is a difference between killing soldiers and killing innocents. Plenty of games have been created with regards to war, that is true. None have been created where you are in charge of implementing the holocaust.

Where in war games, the theme is usually focused on nobler goals (defending the homeland, defeating injustice) this game is for sadists.

War is immoral, but it can be just. Columbine was immoral and unjust.

That is why this game is in poor taste.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:05 am
Shriek says...

well said, grif. i agree wholeheartedly, that game is in extremely bad taste and mr. danny ladonne should be ashamed of himself.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

Random avatar

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:52 am
Sponson Light says...

P.o.V.
Just, Unjust, point of view.
A man sueing a car company may think his point is just, and that he should be compensated for what he believes is just, while the company being sued will think this man's claim is unjust.

Columbine, touchy touchy. The kids who shot everyone, I'm sure they didn't particularly like a few of them. If the game is in poor taste, the event was too.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:13 am
Cade says...

Of course Columbine was a crappy situation. War is also a crappy situation, even if some people believe it is for "noble" goals.
War upsets me. I wouldn't play video games that involved killing people even if I played video games. Columbine upsets me, too. Still, this guy has every right to make a game. If the public doesn't like it, he has to deal with that, but he still had a right to make it.
Sometimes people try to make light of a situation by creating play from it. They just have to know where to draw the line between role-playing and reality.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Random avatar

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:26 am
Sponson Light says...

cadmium wrote:Of course Columbine was a crappy situation. War is also a crappy situation, even if some people believe it is for "noble" goals.
War upsets me. I wouldn't play video games that involved killing people even if I played video games. Columbine upsets me, too. Still, this guy has every right to make a game. If the public doesn't like it, he has to deal with that, but he still had a right to make it.
Sometimes people try to make light of a situation by creating play from it. They just have to know where to draw the line between role-playing and reality.

Right, some companies make "toys for adults and couples" that are deemed... I guess sinful by some religions. But does it make it totally wrong? Hardly so.

People make light of situations by becoming a comedian. Don't stone them to death for that.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:28 am
Trident says...

He has a right to make the game. We have a right to our opinion of the game.

What else is there to discuss?
Perception is everything.

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung