Young Writers Society

Jack's Musket

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:34 pm
Firestarter says...

Sneak Peek!

Better pictures to come tomorrow, when I get some wall mounts and properly mount the thing on my wall.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:39 pm
Trident says...

That is freakin' awesome. My history teacher in high school let us shoot of a musket, although I forget which era it comes from. We only shot steel wool out of it though.
Perception is everything.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:50 pm
Myth says...

Oh wow. How long is it?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:08 pm
Firestarter says...

Without the bayonet, the musket is around 5 foot tall, probably 5'1" or something.

With the bayonet, it ends up taller than me, at like 6'5" or almost 2 metres.

Crazily long. I never thought it would be as long. Aiming the musket kills your arm with the bayonet on. I never realised it was that heavy (I think it's something like 15 pounds) -- of course, this is all good for my writing -- now I know what it feels like to hold one, etc.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:15 pm
Fand says...

*le cough* So, without the bayonet, it's as tall as I am. O.o It looks awesome, though! I have a friend who collects antique firearms... it's really cool.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:29 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

OooooOOOooo... fun stuff! 8)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:30 pm
Dream Deep says...

My dad's got an old flintlock over the mantlepiece... your's is prettier though. ^_~

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:31 pm
Meshugenah says...

Aye, Fandy. As tall as us!

But Jacko! We have to wait until tomorrow for better pictures? Ah, well. As big as me, good grief.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:54 pm
Fishr says...

Flintlocks are a piece of art, that's 100% true! At least if their properly taken care of... I'm not a collector of flintlocks or firearms for that matter, but I guess I should. With the bayonets I have, I should probably get at least one flintlock, lol! I just picked up a 1907 Wilkinson bayo for the Enfield. Mine saw action in WW1 and possible WW2.

Like your musket Jack, the 1907 Wilkinson bayonet bears the crown, and the British proof marks.

Aside for me rattling off about knives... What model is that musket? And may I get a picture of the bayonet and a closeup shot of any markings on the blade? Pretty pleeaase? Is your musket a repro or an original? I've seen original muskets from the Civil War price at well over 1000-2000 US dollars. Ones from the Revolution, if their in outstanding condition and look presentable can fetch a higher price, 'pending on who owned it (if it was engraved) the model and even a higher price if the original bayo is with the musket.

But heh... Yes, I've held originals and the British repros (24th Foot), and they are quite daunting to say the least, lol. A friend of mine who is a re-enactor for the 24th wants me to join up, but warned me straight away that the musket would take time to adjust too. If I was to join the side of the Crown, he warned me that I better suck it up (more or less) because as you know, Jack, the British Army was renowned for being the best given that time period in the 1700's.

You musket, Jack, is a thing of beauty... Take care of it, and if it an original, take EXTRA SPECIAL care of it. These weapons of war must be preserved for the next generation.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

365 Reviews

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:04 am
Fishr says...

This isn't mine but I thought you'd might to take a peak at the bayonet I was referring to, Jack.

Mine is in outstanding condition for being 100 years old, abiet that the leather part of the sheath needs a little "dressing up," but again, being that you're from England, I thought this might interest you.

If you'd like, I can snap a picture of my Wilkinson. Let me know.

EDIT: This bayonet was used on the British Pattern 1907 Mk1 "SMLE" Lee-Enfield. There we go, and now I feel better, lol.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:35 pm
Firestarter says...

Flintlocks are a piece of art, that's 100% true! At least if their properly taken care of... I'm not a collector of flintlocks or firearms for that matter, but I guess I should. With the bayonets I have, I should probably get at least one flintlock, lol! I just picked up a 1907 Wilkinson bayo for the Enfield. Mine saw action in WW1 and possible WW2.

Like your musket Jack, the 1907 Wilkinson bayonet bears the crown, and the British proof marks.

Aside for me rattling off about knives... What model is that musket? And may I get a picture of the bayonet and a closeup shot of any markings on the blade? Pretty pleeaase? Is your musket a repro or an original? I've seen original muskets from the Civil War price at well over 1000-2000 US dollars. Ones from the Revolution, if their in outstanding condition and look presentable can fetch a higher price, 'pending on who owned it (if it was engraved) the model and even a higher price if the original bayo is with the musket.

But heh... Yes, I've held originals and the British repros (24th Foot), and they are quite daunting to say the least, lol. A friend of mine who is a re-enactor for the 24th wants me to join up, but warned me straight away that the musket would take time to adjust too. If I was to join the side of the Crown, he warned me that I better suck it up (more or less) because as you know, Jack, the British Army was renowned for being the best given that time period in the 1700's.

You musket, Jack, is a thing of beauty... Take care of it, and if it an original, take EXTRA SPECIAL care of it. These weapons of war must be preserved for the next generation.

Oh, haha, I couldn't afford an original. No, this is just a pretty shiny replica XD

The model (from my own understanding, the site gave very little info) is an India Pattern Musket, which started in the British Army around 1790. Of course, there's very little to qualify this, because the "Tower" flintlock and the crown were on all muskets at the time, so that offers little info.

As for the bayonet, that's probably the worst part of the replica, unfortunately -- it has no markings, and it's not sharp at all. In fact, the metal work is pretty bad, so I hope I can replace that with a better one at some point.

So, yeah, sorry to disappoint -- I have a relatively inexpensive replica musket (around $300 US dollars) that doesn't actually fire -- one day I want to get a firing one, but I need a license before then, and also they cost a lot more. This is just to look cool on my wall.

Pictures to come tomorrow, sorry! My wall mounts came in the post, but I wasn't in and so I have to go collect them tomorrow. Then I can mount it and take some pictures.

365 Reviews

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:54 pm
Fishr says...

Oh, haha, I couldn't afford an original. No, this is just a pretty shiny replica XD
I had a hunch it was a reproduction. ;) Regardless, it is a fine piece. At least it represents the flintlocks well enough, where a single picture questions it's authenticity. That means to me that it's a decent repro.

Besides, if I was going to sink several thousand, I'd put it towards a calvery sabre from the 1700's. :D Oh yeah... Haha! Sheath and all...

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:52 am
Firestarter says...

Oh yeah! Cavalry sabre's rock.

365 Reviews

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:22 am
Fishr says...

My savings account could support one, LOL! But being a tad smarter, I'm afraid my sabre will have to wait. Back to school I go in the realm of college, (soon).

Between living and dreaming there is a third thing. Guess it.
— Antonio Machado