Nate says...

From Space.com

Pillars of Creation Toppled By Stellar Blast
By Ker Than
Staff Writer
posted: 9 January 2007
1:30 p.m. ET

This story was updated at 2:50 pm EST.

SEATTLE – They helped open the public's eyes to the wonders of space when they were first photographed in 1995, but a new study suggests the famous Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula might have already been toppled long ago, and that what the Hubble Space Telescope actually captured was only a ghost image.

A new picture of the Eagle Nebula shot by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, presented here at the 209th meeting of the American Astronomical Society, show the intact pillars next to a giant cloud of glowing dust scorched by the heat of a massive stellar explosion known as a supernova [image].

"The pillars have already been destroyed by the shockwave," said study leader Nicolas Flagey of The Institut d'Astrophysique Spatiale in France.

Astronomers think the supernova's shock wave knocked the pillars down about 6,000 years ago. But because the Eagle Nebula is located some 7,000 light years away, the majestic pillars will appear intact to observers on Earth for another 1,000 years or so.

Read More

I don't know what's cooler: that something light years across was toppled, or that it's actually already happened, but we just can't see it yet.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:15 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

The fact that we can't see the change yet is very cool to me.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:32 am
Cade says...

Ha, what I've always found interesting about astronomy is that the things we see are so far away they could be completely different now, because what we're seeing now is what they looked like a long time ago because the light takes such a long time to reach us. The sun could go out, right now, and we wouldn't know for, erm, what is it, eight minutes?

It's interesting, though, that something like that was so amazing and inspiring to people on Earth even though it's been dead and gone for ages and ages.

Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:07 pm
Swires says...

Yeah, that is an interesting point. The stars we see at night could be dead because it takes a while for light to reach us.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:10 pm
Lilyy03 says...

I always find this sort of thing awe-inspiring. ^_^ We're seeing things out there the way they were thousands of years ago, and the way those things are now will be seen by the people of thousands of years in the future...

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:14 pm
Sponson Light says...

Yeah, the sun could go out and we wouldn't know for 8 minutes.

Shame those were toppled, but hey, another millenia couldn't be bad.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:33 am
Griffinkeeper says...

A telescope is about as close to a time machine as we'll get in our life time.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson