z

Young Writers Society

Children of Men

Random avatar

Reviews: 92
Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:23 am
lin night says...

Here's what you should do: Go online. Look up the showtimes for Children of Men. Pick one. Call up a group of friends. Watch the movie. This is a bleak, brutal, violent, unflinching, and above all human motion picture that also happens to be a directorial tour de force. From the startling opening which depicts a cafe bombing and a single, dazed woman stumbling out with her severed arm to the stunning final action scene where buildings explode and blood splatters on the camera lens - all in a nine-minute uninterrupted take, this is simply one of the best, most visceral theater experiences I've had in months. We need more directors like Alfonso Cuaron (Y Tu Mama Tambien) taking on big-budget scripts like this.
Last edited by lin night on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:46 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

I saw this movie, but I did things a little different. I went alone. :oops: However, it was totally worth it. It really was a good movie, full of both chilling visions of the future and testaments to the human spirit. Go see the movie, as was already suggested.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending. It was a great way to end the story - that isn't my problem - I just think it wasn't handled well technically. It was abrupt and emotionless, after such an emotional scene. I guess I should think it a sign of a good movie, that the worst thing I can pick out is a minor technical decision.

Anyway, t'was indeed worth seeing.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

Random avatar

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:32 pm
lin night says...

Really? I found it pretty moving. Though my friend did look at his watch and say "That's it?"

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:19 pm
Chandni says...

exactly, the ending just "that's it-ed" me lol

It was indeed a great movie though, definitely a must-see.

and hey, I liked the way you explained it all, kept me reading, nicely done :)

Cheerios, Chandni
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:22 pm
Muse says...

I really wanted to see it, but it wasn't showing anymore by the time i got down there. Boo.
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:39 pm
Meshugenah says...

Oh goodness. I saw it with a group of people, too. It was.. gods, it was amazing. I do agree about the last scene, though. I was like "Wait... that's it?" Then again, it might've been 'cause it was almost midnight by that point, and it'd been a long day.

Also, please note the film (at least in the US) is rated R.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:56 am
Ares says...

What's it about?
One of my friends wanted to see it instead of 007 today but she was out voted by everybody else.

Reviews: 4
Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 am
Zeige says...

i wasn't planning on watching it but it sounds well good so i might do now :D
-The Alpha-

Random avatar

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:20 pm
lin night says...

I was listening to an interview with Cuaron on NPR and apparently they spent twelve days prepping for that seven-minute (not nine, as I originally thought) Steadicam shot. Reportedly "choreographed to the inch," they messed up three times before finally getting it on the fourth try though the blood splatter on the camera lens was unintentional and Cuaron actually yelled "Cut!" but was drowned out by an explosion. Just an interesting tidbit for you guys. :wink:

To be a master of metaphor is the greatest thing by far. It is the one thing that cannot be learnt from others, and it is also a sign of genius.
— Aristotle, Poetics