z

Young Writers Society

Saddam executed.

What do you think?

Excellent! The world can breath a sigh of relief.
16%
Good.
20%
Eh, whatever/no oppinion.
24%
Bad.
16%
They shouldn't have!!!!!!
24%

Total votes : 25

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:02 am
xtenx says...

I don't think we should have gone into Iraq in the first place (weapons of mass destruction? huh..oh wait, there weren't any)...I think it's really funny that people think it's our place to tell other countries how they should govern themselves, when our country was partially established because the way England governed us. Instead of spending our time "helping" in Iraq, maybe we should help with the ongoing GENOCIDE in Africa...We act high and mighty, like it's our devine duty to help, but then we ignore blatant problems that are much more legitimate than the entire Iraqi invasion ever was.

But, given that I don't think it was our place to go into Iraq, I feel like it was their decision which is a step in the right direction. Again, it's not our place to tell them what to do (but I do think it's funny that we finally begin letting them do what they want..when they do what we wanted them to do- puppets? perhaps).

I am completely opposed to capital punishment, I think it should be banned in the US for a myriad of reasons...but none of that is really relative to Iraq because they should govern themselves without our influence.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:55 pm
Fishr says...

xtenx-

Though it is absolutely true that the U.S. "plays Superman," there is one insight that I believe has led us to preform in that way of thinking. I've personally have dwelled on the that very same question, "Why does America poke their noses in everyone elses affairs?"

As you briefly brought from our earlier days with the War of Independence; I believe the way we act, (gov't) or what have you, we are a large body of people, in "being nosey" is in American's blood. Funny that our colonial ancestors rebelled with some acts of serious violence or depicting theatrical violence that the outcome eventually led to a "new breed" where modern Americans put themselves on a pedistal against other nations, even their allies in some respects. Our colonial ancestors indeed put themselves on a 30 foot pedistal when they had had enough of Parliament's ruling, and that same concept is still instilled in us. This is the reason I feel America feels the need in jumping into every God forsaken war; it's deep within our roots.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:38 am
xtenx says...

I understand what you're saying, and I see how history can definitely impact a nation. But just because something is instilled in us does not make it right. I don't think that's good justification at all. We feel nosey so we "help" in Iraq, but ignore such clear problems elsewhere...if only we could help people who legitimately need help.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:59 pm
Fishr says...

True, very true. At least we don't live under a communist nation. For that much we should be grateful for.

Getting back to Saddam, I feel his half-brother's death was a little more grisly. Not a great way to go out, losing your head and all... Litteraly speaking of course.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

I drink tea and forget the world's noises.
— Chinese saying