z

Young Writers Society

Eragon: the movie

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:26 am
amber lee says...

the movie was horrible compared to the book. now when people watch it and they have not read the book, it was pretty good. i will write more later , after i have done a survey in my school.
future best-sellor authour,
amber lee

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:27 am
gyrfalcon says...

Yeah, I was not impressed by the movie AT ALL. Saphira was done pretty well, as far as visuals and voice go, and while Murtagh wasn't quite true to the book I really enjoyed him as well. Brom was all right; I wish they'd played Durza closer to the book as well (because I just really love a well-written villain!), but he too came in all right.

Eragon...did not. Ugh. Just...yeah, not the right actor for the part--he didn't look it, he didn't play it right, just no. Also, Aria (sp?)--did not like at all! She was supposed to have black hair, for one thing, and she seemed to have some kind of trouble with the pointed ears concept (I never saw any, my brother swears he did). Also, the fact that they showed Galbatorix just totally ruinied it for me. I'll admit that Paolini did not come up with the most original plot for his story, but one thing he did right--holding off revealing the main villain! Making Galbatorix an invisible power was, I thought, a really smart move, which the moviemakers failed on.

Taken in total, I give it maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:39 am
tinny says...

I went to go see it yesterday with one of my pals, she hasn't read the book yet but's going to. It seemed to me like they'd just chosen a random selection of events from the book and turned thim into a film. Half the time I was asking my friend, "do you know what's going on?" And she'd say "You tell me, you've read the book!" I'll always remember the part where they're looking into a shield and Eragon says "I've changed to much..." And the only difference is that his nose is slightly stetched XD

Also, when they first show him Saphira's armour, the helmet is different to the one she ends up wearing. There were a load of other inconsistancies too but I can't remember them. The worst thing Is knowing that I have to go and see it again with my little sister.

Also, the fact that they showed Galbatorix just totally ruinied it for me.

I agree, and he looked so old they could have just waited for him to die rather than go through all this hoohah. ;)
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:02 pm
Myth says...

I hated the book so I'm not going to watch it but my kid siblings are interested... :(
.: ₪ :.

'...'

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:53 pm
backgroundbob says...

Book was average-to-poor, movie was poor-to-walk-out-onable.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:16 pm
Jiggity says...

Yes, I am reading it now and I swear I've seen some better stuff here on this site! Still, it is easily readable so there's not much reason to stop especially if your as bored as I am currently. I dislike having to think of corrections all the time, which is certainly the case here.

Havent watched, nor plan to watch, the movie.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:43 pm
Chandni says...

I haven't watched the movie, I was planning to. I didn't know there was a book about it lol, sorry people but I do live in the tropics where in my case everything's dutch, and apparently there hasn't been a translation yet.

I think I'm going to watch the movie though, I'm pretty much intrested in fantasy movies :)
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Krystalstars says...

Haven't seen it yet but my BFF said it SUCKED and by the the trailers I think it will too.....None of the actors looked like who they were playing!
God made us Best friends because he knew our moms couldn't handle us as sisters.....

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:27 pm
rosethorn says...

Eh, it wasn't too bad. But I do agree, they should not have showed Galbatorix. And if they had to, they could have at least got someone who looked more frightening. Some old bald guy? C'mon!

Brom was nothing like I'd pictured him. But I was happy with it because he was much cooler than I'd seen him.

They did Saphira awesome. Eragon was a good pick in my opinion, as was Murtagh.

I've hated Ayra from the beginning so I really didn't pay much attention to her.

A lot was left out but none of it was really absolutely nessecary to the film.

Varden was totally different than how I'd seen it. Most of the landscapes were though.

It wasn't horribly bad though. I enjoyed it. Enjoyed it enough to see it twice in one day, even. But I think I've had my share of it for awhile. I've started the second book now.

Reviews: 4
Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 am
Zeige says...

i havn't read the book and i don't plan on seeing the movie it looks rubish i don't like it when they turn books into movies its usally nothing like the origanals but you know sometimes they get it right but not very often
-The Alpha-

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:32 am
Unrecompensed says...

The book was terrible, and the only positive I can find in the movie is the fact that the prose are hidden (although the cliche, 2-D speech is still there).

Why watch the film that ripped off the greats, when you can read/watch the greats?

- Andy
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:34 pm
Saga says...

I read the book, didn't really like it that mcuh... I don't really want to see the movie but since Narnia came out last year my little sister has just LoVeD anything fantasy-realated, so of course she wasnts to go see it and is convinced it will be the best movie ever, so I'll probably have to drag her to the movie.
I'm hoping that over Christmas/NewYear Break one of my friends went to go see and and can tell me if it's good... depending on what they say (they've read the book and are pretty picky about book-to-movie) I might change my mind and just go see and decide for myself what I think of it... I couldn't tell from the previews -_-
Like a wind I wander
Into a darkened yonder
Like a wind I cry
My own undoing I deny

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:23 am
Draal Dukhat says...

I think the book was totally one of my best reads, it was really excellent. As for the movie...it stank like ****. It was terrible, first off Eragon is supposed to have orange hair but it's yellow! And Arya did not play her part at all; she supposed to be all tough and serious, but she smiles frequently throughout the movie! Murtagh sucked too, but Brom was OK. Durza wasn't quite what I had hoped for but he was reasonably good. In general, the movie sucked. I think they should have shown Paolini the movie and allowed him to make whatever changes he wanted. I'm telling you, do NOT watch it.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:32 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

I thought the book was pretty good for a fairly young author like Paolini, although not the most original book i've ever read. But seriously, the movie made it seem like they were actually trying to make a mockery of it. It was so horribly disappointing I would have walked out of the theater if I wasn't there with my little brother. The only part of it I remotely enjoyed was staring at Garrett Hedlund, who played Murtagh. And he wasn't even in nearly as much of the movie as he should've been. That writer should be sued for writing such a terrible screenplay. Some of those lines were so cheesy I almost laughed out loud. And i'm not even going to touch on how many unnecessary changes they made and how many crucial plot points they took out. It was a huge disappointment, don't see it. It's not worth your money.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:47 am
Dynamo says...

I agree, the movie was terrible compared to the book, can you say plot hole? There was lot's of stuff that they left out, but that's Hollywood for you. Whenever a book turns into a movie stuff has to be cut out in order to fit it all into 1 or 2 hours. I did think the part where Eragon uses a tree branch to strangle the Razak to death was funny though.

If I write a story that one day is turned into a movie I want it to be an animated movie instead of a movie done with real people, the fights and explosions would look better if it is animated like Dragon Ball Z or something.

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman