z

Young Writers Society

Have time to answer a question? Muchly appreciated.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:42 pm
uniaeca says...

Imagine that you are an established writer, in any area and genre.
Would you allow a /bookstore/internet cafe to sell your book, but also have it's first chapter (or one or two pages of your poetry) to be printed out that would be accessible to all customers, before they decide to buy the book?
Sporks!! and Waffles!! Ohhhh that waffley goodness stabbed with a spork!

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:42 pm
Via says...

I don't see much point in that. If they are selling it, then it is most likely on display and customers could pick it up, open it, and read some of it if they wanted (as they should) before buying it. Personally, unless I was referred to a book by more than one person that I hold to high standards, I wouldn't buy the book without reading some of it first.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:48 pm
Emerson says...

Well, Amazon has the first few pages of books listed (Only of certain ones) and I would certainly allow it.

Just like Write Me said, most people read the first few pages of something before deciding. You can't choose a book solely on the cover or back synopsis. I never can, because sometimes a writers style bothers me, and I would never have liked the book if I had bought it.

A person could just as easily sit in the store for an hour and read your book, rather than buy it. So having the first few pages on the internet is safe.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

14 Reviews

Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:49 pm
uniaeca says...

The actual book wouldn't be allowed in the 'cafe' area, on the sleeve containing the first chapter/first pages etc.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:45 pm
Snoink says...

Why not? They might like it.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:10 am
Emerson says...

The actual book wouldn't be allowed in the 'cafe' area, on the sleeve containing the first chapter/first pages etc.

I'm not sure what you mean, the second part of that sentence doesn't really relate to the first part...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:13 am
Via says...

I don't think you will sell many copies that way. Most people aren't going to buy something they have no idea what is.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

14 Reviews

Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:22 am
uniaeca says...

*sigh* I'll try explain properly. There's three areas, a cafe area (sit and eat), a bookstore area and a internet room.

This question is only really connected to the bookstore area. The idea is that if they see a book they like, instead of feeling like an idiot and reading the first few pages standing in the bookstore, hoping no one notices you, there are the first few pages in a plastic sleeve that you can read, while sitting in the cafe area so that you can eat, get a drink whilst deciding whether or not you want to buy the book. The actual book wouldn't be allowed in the cafe area, because they would most likely get wrecked by food.

The question I am asking, is would you allow for the first few pages of your book to be copied, so that they may be put in the plastic sleeve, which a person can look at without having to buy your book.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:38 pm
sabradan says...

yes.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:43 am
Firestarter says...

I would.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:54 am
Elelel says...

I think so. Even if it just makes customers think that if there's a big fuss being made about showing off my book, it must be good.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.
— Michael McClary