z

Young Writers Society

Ever been in a cemetary? ;)

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:35 pm
Esmé says...

If you like taking pics of graves, then keep on doing that. -I mean, the're only pictures, right? I you like it, then I don;t see why you should stop. There are weirder hobbies, really.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:40 pm
Fishr says...

Don't mean to be mean here love.

But whats the point in taking pictures of people's stones? Give them some peace. They're dead for christs sake. If some random took pictures of my gravestone and posted it on the net I'd be disturbed.

Emma -

To each their own, as they say. But to answer your question, I take pictures of them for several reasons. One, stones from the Puritens are great examples of colonial art. Yes, it's true. If you don't know what I'm talking about perhaps you're looking at them with a "blind eye." ;) Two, many of them are quite interesting and really do give you a peek into the past. You really do get a sense of how these people thought, lived, and just how difficult colonial life was back in the 16 and 1700's. I've seen a stone where a Deacon was born in 1698; the most remarkable and intact stone I've ever seen! Imagine, the late 1600's and it was in presitne condition! That's incrediable!

I could go on with examples, but I'll leave it at this: This hobby is certaintly not for everyone but they are musuems, transporting you into another time, if you allow it.

AND its not like no one's ever seen a graveyard. I have one up my street. Yes there is thousands of history through each one, but so what? It's THEIRS. Not ours. Thats what I hate about History. Meh, Im crabit, ignore me
Correction: I never said no one's seen a cemeterty. What I asked was, has anyone ever been IN one? Some people are skittish, because well, you're walking on top of your brethren. ;) For me, it doesn't bother me a bit; I often purposly scare myself by imagining that the ground would colapse and I'd fall below... It's funny, especially on Halloween.

I especially like locating Vets or fallen soldiers of the Civil and Rev. War. I often wonder which side were they on? And I disagree WHOLLY that taking pictures is a sign of disrespect. It seems to me, that you haven't been in many, or else you'd know of the stones that are knocked over, hidden behind brush or vandalized by spraypaint. For these, I would think that the deceased would be rather giddy in a sense. Someone found them, took a picture of their stone, and carry on their message, life and story for the next generation - in short, they're being remembered.

If you think Emma, taking pictures is wrong, wait until you see me rub their stones. ;) And by that I mean with wax and good, strong and quality paper.

To sum up my final point, what if you were looking at your own family's headstone? Surely, it wouldn't it bother to the degree to the impression I'm under. Why? Because it's your family, there's no shame in it. So, between that, and the neighbor "resting" next to your grandfather's stone; I'm certaintly not bothering the dead. Besides, as a Native Vermonter, and tracing my family to the 1600's many of my kin settled and lived here for generations. To me, I feel that I have a common connection to my brethren resting under the Green Mountains. Some fought for my young state and died, some were just trying to get through the day to day life on their farms but at either case, I'm proud to remember my fellow Vermonters; they are in a sense, an exstended part of my family. :) And that's truly what this hobby is about: Understanding and excepting.

Phorcy's -

I hear ya! I litteraly spent four hour once in one, near Boston. I just couldn't get over the outstanding artwork and all the messages and each story someone shared. It was an experience for sure. I'm going back to the same one soon, lol, better prepared too.

And yes, it's nice remembering your brethren from centeries before you.

EDIT:

If you like taking pics of graves, then keep on doing that. -I mean, the're only pictures, right? I you like it, then I don;t see why you should stop. There are weirder hobbies, really.

Ah, that's was nice of ya. Oh no, I plan on never stopping, lol. It's something I've been doing since I was uh... tenish? But being that young, you're kinda niave, lol. Now an days, I can appreciate somethng for what it is, and not a "hunk of slate stuck in the ground." :lol:

To everyone else -

Would you like to see more? Or no? As I mentioned, I have several more of the Rockingham Meetinghouse... But that's entirely up to the rest of you... ;)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Nouns can verb very well actually, they verb better than some verbs do.
— winterwolf0100