z

Young Writers Society

I finally met him!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:03 am
Fishr says...

Well, obviously my grandfather's been long deceased but this find in my family tree was too great to post in my blog. Besides, Wiggy said she wanted to meet him. ;)

Firstly, I've been researching and looking for my ancestor for nearly six months, mainly tracking down his regiment, which isn't an easy task when you've served almost a hundred years ago! That being said, yes, my ancestor is a Veteran of the Civil War - a Sergeant.

Erected by his wife, since he died first, it says:

William C. (Coit) Landon
Sergt Co. C 2 N.Y. Vols.
Served 4 Yrs in Civil War
>>>>>1837 - 1915

Rose Jacobs
>>His Wife
1847 - 1927

Bertha Landon
>>1877 - 1898

Bill Landon had four children, which I have pictures of all, except one, who was laid to rest near my grandmother. It has my dad and I baffled too; one of those family mysteries because Philip, Rose, Bill, and Lena all have stones, except Bertha, yet there's a space for her marker. And Edward, the other son? He's not near his family but in another town and and another spot - yeah people are weird and my family is no exception, LOL!

Bill's wife was known as "Barefoot" Rose and she partook in Oppium (sp). So, I had a druggie early on, and Bill himself? It seems he was quite the storyteller, who enjoyed telling tales of Gettysburg and his injury to the eye. In the war, a musket ball hit his eye, and Bill fell like a brick. It's recorded in my family that my ancestor heard the words, "Well, Landon's dead", from another soldier standing next to him. Also, it's a known fact, proven finally by my family that Bill Landon was standing in the middle of two future Presidents. (I always forget who because I just learned about it a few days ago - poor memory. I want to say McKinley and Garfield but I'm not sure it's them).

Anyway, to make things more interesting, ever heard of Bill Wilson? Probably not because I had no idea either, until yesterday of course. Bill Wilson was the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, and as a boy, the Landons', especially Bill Landon, took him under his wing. Bill taught the boy to be a crack-shot shooter and apparently looked out for him. The two were close neighbors and in fact, I had the opportunity to visit Mister Wilson's homestead, the original still standing and where he grew up. Man, it is HUGE! There's thirteen rooms and let's not forget the barn! Yikes!!

Today, the Wilson Home is a refuge for "recovering" alcoholics, and is run solely by generous contributions and volunteers who are not paid but rather devote their time to help out in anyway possible. A good portion of the volunteers I discovered were recovering or had been in the "12 Step Program" for a few months to decades. One older woman probably in her early seventies approached us and said she's "only been in the Program since 1980!"

In addition to the Wilson home, a book has been written, a biography and astonishingly enough, Bill and Rose Landon are mentioned frequently throughout it, which is just awesome!

Here's the link from Amazon. You can search the book, and if you decide too, type "Landon" in the search box. Enjoy reading. :)

Bill W.'s Biography by Robert Thomsen

As soon as I can, if anyone's interested, I can upload pictures of the Wilson home - inside and out.

Well, the only other thing that I can mention is that another Landon who's still around has the records where his Father Cecil traced the family all the way back to the 16th Century!! That means the records could have gone back to England because the name "Landon" is English. I want those records! LOL!! Looks like I'll be paying another visit soon down South. Also, it seems my second uncle has a picture of Bill Landon, holding a pistol. Now the question is, was it after or before the war? We can only examine his eye and if there's a scar, that'll mean the picture taken after it. ;)

Once I visit my second uncle, I'll be taken MANY pictures of Landon's photograph, and my uncle told me he's given me the original military documents!!! *faints*

Anyway, I'm still too excited and proud that my ancestor fought on the Union side (even though it WAS New York, LOL! Vermont joined the Union much later and I guess my Grandfather couldn't wait that long! LOL!!) and that my long search is starting to come full circle. So, what better way to release excitement them to share my family's history with everyone! :D

Hope you enjoy. :)
Last edited by Fishr on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:19 am
Emerson says...

Thats so interesting! We haven't traced my family back that far, but that would be rather exciting.

I'd love to see the photographs!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:39 am
Firestarter says...

That's extra-mega awesome fishr! My family are currently tracking our ancestry, but I'm still awaiting something cool like that. So far the best thing they found was I had a great-great-grandfather called Octavius who lived in Hong Kong and died when his ship was torpedoed in the First World War.

Anyway, great researching.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:18 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Very cool.

I'd like to trace back and find some family history if I could...

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:49 am
Myth says...

Oh wow! That's great, Jess! Somehow I keep picture Landon as Welcome G. :P

I haven't researched much on my family but the stories I've heard from my parents are interesting but they don't always remember to continue their tales.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:06 pm
Via says...

Haha that's so much fun.

I have a problem with knowing what my ancesters really did. Mainly because when I hit my grandparents, the history goes to Germany, Italy, and Czechoslovokia [which is no longer one country] and I can't trace any farther because I'm in the US! I know the names of my ancestors passed my grandparents, I just don't know who they are/were.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

365 Reviews

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:33 am
Fishr says...

:)

Many thanks guys for showing such enthusiasm. It means a lot. I found about all this background with my family only very recently so it's still a little overwhelming, and the more I tap into, the more intense that feeling becomes. It's like eating pie or icecream to my heart's contempt, LOL!

There's more pictures such as the Wilson homestead and yup - you guess it - more headstones, lol! The picture I have posted is mearly a memorial and on the opposite side displays Landon's kids. The actual stones are all lined in front of it. But I'm having some difficulty uploading the rest. Figures, huh?

I guess I'm goin to have to add a bayonet from the Civil War now to my collection. :roll: :wink: Man, I really, really want to see what my grandfather looked liked. I bet he was ugly, LOL! And I'm sure I'll pay for that comment with an iron fist later on! :lol:

Claudette -

As soon as I'm able to upload the buggers, I'll spot you a PM.

Jack -

Haha! Thank you, Jack. Hey, that's pretty cool!! Erm, I mean by able to tap into those records, not that fact that your realitive was torpeadoed. Yikes!! Sorry to hear. Good luck with the researching! The headaches are worth it in the end, I promise.

Waffles -

An uncle of mine, the very same that told me just one story about my ancestor and that turned into a six month showdown in hot presuit of information, LOL! But I did a lot of putzing around in ancestory.com (the files that were accessible to me anyway), scanning lists upon lists of soldiers serving in Vermont and finally Ney York in the CW, and finally, the Library of Congress. It's not easy by any means and takes a great deal of patience (something I've grown used too because of the intense researching I do anyway for historical fiction). Finally, I'll be visiting the one of the state's archives, and hopefully get copies of further military, birth, death or marriage records; anything really that will assist me.

Best of luck. ;)

Myth -

LMAO! I read this all yesturday but had to work. Every time I read the first sentence, I chuckle because interestingly enough, I've thought of the very same thing. W. Garrison is becoming quite the talker, a storyteller for sure, and my grandfather? It appears the two have the same trait, LOL!! Who would have thought?? I guess it runs in the blood... ;)

You should probe your parents, and make 'em speak! :D Or if you value your life, take notes on what they said and if conversations switch directions, shove your notes in their face and remind them to stay on track, haha! But, yes, thank you too, Myth!

WM -

MMM.... Heh... I'm mainly Scot/English but I'm also Irish, Native-American and I also just found out this year - apparently - I have Swedish blood running through. The father I go back, the more surnames I have to account for, so nationalities is a walk in the park, LOL! ;) I have ten surnames thus far to keep track of!! Yikes!!! What did I get myself into!!

If you do research, start with your grandparents, and write down what you know about them, like taking notes. If you're aware of their DOB and DOD, try the archives in your area. Most towns have local collections; even the library might have something like old newspaper clippings. You never know... ;)

Again, thanks again everyone and when/if I can get the rest of the pictures uploaded, you'll see this bumped. ;) I'll probably change the title slightly so everyone is aware.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

365 Reviews

Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:35 pm
Fishr says...

Finally got the rest of the pictures uploaded. It would figure though that the comp would have a hiccup being that all of the photos are on the highest resolution my camera has. With headstones, high resolutions bring in the details and make the writing clearer, especially if they're 150 years or older! :lol:

So this is the rest of my family, as well as a few pictures of the Wilson homestead.

This is the surname that's under the "front" of the memorial where it lists William C. Landon, Rose Jacobs and their daughter - Bertha.

The writing held up well, didn't it?

On the reverse of the memorial, Philip and Lena take the stage, hehe.

In front of the memorial, there is a line of smaller headstones, which was a common thing to see in the mid 1700's to throughout the 1800's but by the late 19th Century, views did change and a simple or decorative stone was all you saw. (I have many examples of this, as I visit cemetaries as a hobby. In fact, I should post some of the pictures I have. The history fanatic would be shocked! Or at least intrigued.)

This is my G. G. G. Grandfather's final resting place by the foothills of Vermont. Next to him, is the star for Civil War Vets. He needs a flag! How rude that the rest of my family hasn't stepped up! That'll change, trust me. :wink: I bet Bill Landon is cursing us all, LOL!

A closeup of the star. *salutes*

Lena -

Philip -

And Barefoot Rose Jacobs

Bertha didn't have a stone amognst her family, as I mentioned earlier and there was one other - Edward Landon who is buried within the same cemetary as my great, great and grandmother. Who would have thought? I never knew after all these years. I suck. :cry: But I found them! :D

The Wilson Homestead:

Bill Wilson was neighbors from the Landons' but the house is nothing short of a classic and early home set in the mid 1900's. I was told their are a total of thirteen rooms! Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed upstairs but I was allowed to take shots around the other rooms on the first floor.

The two above photos were ajacent from each other. I know, the desk is modern but not everyone can stand to live in the past.

This might change your mind though. Though the photo is a little dark, look closely. See the wooden beam? The is part of the original house, and shows its age. You will not find modern houses supported by a single beam down the middle. Despite the wood's age, it appears to have help up quite nicely.

EDIT: This photo is actually apart of the barn, where the fireplace is located.

To the left, of this same room, look closely again. Do you see the funny-looking seats? Again, those are originals to the home, and show its age. I saw these "chairs" when I visited Philip Schyler's home in Saratoga when I really went to visit the Battlefield of 1777. Well, I guess I should say I didn't see the exact replicas being that Schyler's home was/is over 200 years old but I did see chairs similar to those in the Wilson home.

Center of the room. I apologize for the dark photos. I think in its hayday this was one room used for dining or a gathering spot. Then again, I could be wrong. What do I know?

Ahhh... This next photo is very intriguing and to the history buff it should be an intriguing display. Back "in the times," a beau and a missus were not allowed to sit side by side. It wasn't proper so this type of sitting situation was developed.

Personally, I rather sleep in the fireplace. At least that looked more accomidating then being seperated. :lol:

Speaking of the fireplace, ta da!

The fire place was actually part of the barn to the Wilson home but now the room serves as a type of meeting hall for the residents or for the recovering alcoholics.

I never said I was a professional, so I apologize for the glare - whoops! Anyway, this was to the right of the barn.

I didn't take a picture of the left, because I couldn't. For some reason, people kept walking in front of a camera which is a shame because I also was unable to take a shot of the kitchen which was eye-popping! It was huge and magnificant!

Well, that concludes my photos of my little traveling experience in search of my ancestor. But, if anyone's interested, the Wilson home is registered and is a historic landmark so there should be archives and articles out the Wazoo!

One other thing, because I feel compelled too and the reader can take it with a grain of salt or perhaps it might be of interest but here's and excerpt from the book - Bill W. by Thomas Thomsen.

Bill Landon was a storyteller (hey, it runs in the family!) and he told young "Billy" Wilson of the romatic side of the war. So when you read, Landon is talking to Billy, as well as the author fondly describing my realitve. Everything that you read is just is how it is written in the book.:

Bill Landon was as voluble as Frank (Rose's father) was still, but somehow he too could always find time for Billy and he soon took it upon himself to train and make a crack shout out of the boy - even persuading the Griffiths (Silas Griffith was Vermont's first millionair and is rested in a spledind, marble tomb in Danby. I haven't concluded if the very same surname is Silas' kin.) to invest in a 25-20 Remington, a rifle Billy was to keep and love all his life.

The supreme moment of Bill Landon's life had occured some forty years before when he was a sergeant of the staff of General Philip H. Sheridan down in the Shenandoah valley. Since then Landon had become an incorrigible monologist and often seemed compelled by some inner passion to share every instant of his famous afternoon at Ceder Creek. The rebel forces had crushed all Union resistance until the meadows and lanes around the creek had become a chaos of wagons, strangglers and fleeing men. Then, shortly after one o'clock - Bill knew every detail - down the broad highway from Winchester, a beautiful jet-black charger had appeared, bearing his master. The road was so totally blocked the general had been forced to take to the fields in appraise the situation, but suddenly above the din they heard Sheridan cry out, "Back. We will go back and retake our camps!" and sweeping off his hat and vaulting his horse over a low stone wall, he galloped to the crest of the field. "We will go back..." Bill Landon would repeat these words as if they were some holy incantation, his voice reverberating like organ music. In a matter of minutes, he declared, no more, the men broke into a cheer a line of regimental flags arose as if coming up from the earth itself and new lines began.

With Sergeant Landon that afternoon had stood two future presidents of the United States: on the left of the road Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes, on the right, Major William McKinley, and together they watched Sheridan, hat still in hand, still barking out orders, move to the front of his men.

At the start of the attack a minie ball had struck his musket, passed clear through and had struck his skull just above one eye. The sergeant had simply plucked it out and continued with the charge.
The last bit may not be true because it is recorded in my family that Landon fell like a brick and heard the words, "Well, Landon's dead." Then again, Bill Landon seems to be quite the storyteller!

Well, I think that should be enough for one night, lol! But I really think it's neat that my ancestor got published and is reconized somewhat around the world to a degree.

Cheers!

820 Reviews

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:15 am
Myth says...

Oh wow! *explodes*

Jess, I don't think I'll ever be able to go and explore my ancestors as you did but this is great.

Is the Landon house not there anymore? The Wilson Homestead is brilliant, I've seen the weird high-backed chair in an antique show and always wondered what it was like to sit in one :P Did you get a chance to or were you not allowed?

Thanks for sharing! :D

'...'

365 Reviews

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:40 pm
Fishr says...

Hehe... *explodes with Myth*

Well actually stumbling upon the Wilson homestead was a freak accident. We stopped only to ask directions to the surrounding cemetary sites in the town we were in. Call it fate, because we sure are now, but it was just pure, dumb luck we stopped at the house. It's funny too because we've passed the house several times, not giving it a second thought. I guess Landon's ghost was circling around and "guided" the stiring wheel, lol.

I didn't ask if I could. I figured that because it was an antique, no one would want my grundgy butt in it since I did stop to observe one cemetary before coming to the Wilson home. I'm sure the chair would have screamed at me, if it had a mouth, LOL! But no, I didn't because I try to be as respectful as I can to antiques and moreso because we were a guest in the house.

Actually, according to my second uncle, the Landon house IS still standing. We saw various houses all within like a couple feet from the Wilson home but we had no idea which one. My uncle sorta neglected to tell us where and what to look for, lol! We did find a white house falling into shambles so we figure it might be that one, lol, just because of our luck.

Jess, I don't think I'll ever be able to go and explore my ancestors as you did but this is great.
Thank ye! :)

But I'm not done yet, far from it. I still have to track down Edward, figure out who was Bill Landon's parents and so forth. Always traveling backwards. Thankfully, *whew* someone in my family already did the hard work for me. *hugs Ted Landon* Haha, yes, you read it right. Ted Landon is a distant realitive and his father travelled all over to record. He has the documents and I was told it went as far back as the 16th Century!! *beams* Because I'm the oldest (besides the only one showing such a strong interest), and the next in line my generation, I'm getting the copies of those records!! And, there's a very slim chance I might get the records to Bill Landon's discharge papers!! *yips!* Wouldn't it be cool though if Ted gave me the originals??? I think I'd fall into a coma. And wouldn't it be cool if I got Bill's sword or uniform, buttons off his uniform, his uniform; anything he carried in the war and it was passed onto me?? I know I would fall into a coma after that, LOL!

Oh, but there's more awaiting me.... My second uncle has a picture of Bill, in a top hat no less! From the sounds of it, it was after the war. He also has "Barefoot" Rose's solid, silver mirror (hand-held). My great, great grandmother, Katherine; she was Bill's daughter, but she says Bill Wilson used to look in Rose's mirror and my grandmother called Wilson "such a danty" when looking into it. Haha! It seems young Billy Wilson was a tad vain in his adolecent years...

*SIGHS*

It's too bad I couldn't have met my great, great, great grandfather. The more I learn the more I find that he was similar to me in some ways and he sounds to have been quite the character. That's for sure.

Well, he was a Vet fighting for the Union, and for that, I salute him once again, no matter his morals for joining.

*SALUTES SERG. WILLIAM COIT LANDON*

:)

820 Reviews

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:17 am
Myth says...

Oh, I keep forgetting to ask. On which side are you related to Landon?

'...'

365 Reviews

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:39 pm
Fishr says...

On my dads side. :)

365 Reviews

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:42 am
Fishr says...

:D :D
UPDATE: 12/9

Very tired but I now have all the records for the Landon side, and the records go back to the early 1600's and even is traced back to England, since "Landon" is an English name. Hehe... That was cool, to see the country traced back to my roots. I now know I'm positively more English and Scotch, which is just awesome!

I've long amired Scotland, especially since we Scots were rather brutal in wars, lol! We took no crap from anyone. I can only imagine, in the American Revolution for example, when the bagpipes were echoing - "We're coming for ya Lad. You best be ready for us!" Hehe...

And England? It's a proud and urbane country and the US in my humble opinion has more ties to it, than any other country. Because of this, being that I'm a proud American, I'm glad I'm partially English (among other bloodlines). :D

Anyway... rambling... But, I have the family trees, Bill Landon's records of his time spent in the Civil War, and even pictures of my G. G. G. grandparents! My G. G. G. grandmother even has the Opinum (s) strapped around her neck in the picture! Haha!! The only thing I do not have is Bill Landon's discharge papers... That'll change, lol!

If there is one thing I am, it is I'm very, extreamly persistant when I want something badly enough. It's almost a driving force so to speak. And being that I have zilch patience, I will locate those discharge papers even if it kills me! (And it'll probably will, lol, or at least issue me headaches...)

Thanks for reading and putting up with my nonsense! :)

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:06 am
Via says...

Well...I tried to find the pictures we took at Trinity Church beside the World Trade Center [Ground Zero] in New York...but I couldn't--so, we took more. Here they are...they are all sandstone so they are very hard to read, plus they were affected greatly by the rubble from 9/11--but not taken down.

Here Lies the Body of
James Davis Late Smith to
The Royal Artillery who
Departed this Life 17th Day of
December 1769 Aged 39 Years
"Behold and See as you Pass by
As you are now so once was I
As I am now you soon will be
Prepare for Death and Follow Me"

Here Lies the Body of
John Jones the Son of
John Jones who Departed
The Life December the 13th
1768 Aged 4 Years & 4 Months
& 2 Days
"O Most Crual Sudden Death
Did take his ______ Breath but
The Lord ___ ___ he to ____
To _______________________"

This one was just too hard to read...this is what most of these headstone in the front of Trinity look like.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

365 Reviews

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:09 pm
Fishr says...

*dances* :lol:

Many thanks for sharing those pictures! I love it how the Colonials kept track of the exact month, day and year of a person and felt so inclined to have it engraved upon the stone.

The first one - WOW! - Look at that writing! That's craftsmanship for ya! They sure don't use that font or writing style like that anymore. That's very impressive and especially that the lettering is protruding outwards. It must have taken a long time to finish.

I here ya, with the difficulty deciphering - try slate sometime, LOL! But you're right, I think sandstone is a bit harder to read. When I was in the Rockingham Meetinghouse Cemetery, I spotted two who told me that the person had caught a disease "Upon their Dying bed..."

Do you have any more? :wink:

I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.
— Roald Dahl