z

Young Writers Society

The Musical Theater Thread

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:09 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...

I am obsessed with musical theater. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I might be the biggest musical theater fan on this website—though if anyone would like to challenge me for that title, I welcome the competition. :wink:

So how about you? What's your favorite musical (or musicals)? What was the show that first got you interested in musicals? Any opinion on Broadway vs. off-Broadway, or Broadway vs. the West End? Do you like jukebox musicals or do they not satisfy the itch? Do you have a favorite song, or favorite songs? (I have a very long list, if anyone wants to hear it.) What have you been loving/listening to lately? Do you prefer Sondheim or Lloyd Webber? (There is only one correct answer to that last question, don't @ me.)

Sound off below! :D
Last edited by deleted30 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:55 pm
View Likes
Ignorance says...

I currently love Be More Chill, Dear Evan Hansen, and Hadestown! Basic, I know ^-^’
Do you how do?
I use any pronouns :)
Get in losers, we're going napping

Random avatar

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:07 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Ignorance wrote:I currently love Be More Chill, Dear Evan Hansen, and Hadestown!

All good choices! I really vibe with Evan Hansen—"Sincerely, Me" is such a bop. It gets stuck in my head all the time. :P And "Good for You" is so satisfying.

Hadestown is terrific. But then again, I'm a sucker for any retelling of the Orpheus and Eurydice myth. :smt003
Last edited by deleted30 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

218 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 218
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:44 pm
View Likes
creaturefeature says...

I have a serious obsession with musicals. I think I loved Wicked for a very long time, mainly because of Elphaba and Glinda being both canonically bisexual. Defying Gravity also had me feeling a lot of things, and (very popular opinion, I know) it's the best song in the whole musical.

This might face hate, but modern musicals such as La La Land are some of my favourites too. It might be the modern aspect shining through, but I prefer a realistic love story rather than a story full of murder, old time periods, and fantasy ideas flying around.

Now, the musical that got me into all of this obsession is a bit hard to pinpoint. It must've been Grease though because it's one of the first musicals I remember not hating. The songs weren't bad, too. It could've been Fiddler on the Roof though because my parents love that.

I kind of rambled at some points, but ahh I love this discussion.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

Random avatar

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:13 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

I definitely went through a passionate Wicked phase as well—I remember replaying "Defying Gravity" over and over and over on my iPod. XD Good times! I also loved "No Good Deed." Idina Menzel just kills it every time, doesn't she?

Grease gets a lot of flak from theater snobs, but there's plenty to love about it—especially some of the songs. "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" is amazing, full stop.

I haven't been able to get myself into La La Land, despite the fact that I generally like Pasek and Paul—I was really into their musical Dogfight for a hot second, as well as Dear Evan Hansen. Hell, even Greatest Showman has some good songs. But La La Land, despite the Pasek- and Paul-penned lyrics, just doesn't quite do it for me... well, with one exception: "Another Day of Sun." That song's great.

Anyway, don't be afraid to ramble here—as you can tell by this post, I'm firmly in favor of rambling about musicals! :wink:

I would be a terrible novel protagonist.
— mellifera