z

Young Writers Society

What fictional characters do you most identify with?

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:57 am
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

Saw an art challenge about this on Instagram (draw yourself with three fictional characters you identify with). Some of the responses to the challenge were really funny, surprising, and interesting, so I thought it'd be fun to ask it here.

So.. I'm curious. What fictional characters do you relate to or see yourself in? c:

My 3:
Spoiler! :

For me, probably these three:

Kaladin (Stormlight Archive): The first character I'd come across in fiction who also had depression (though at the time I didn't know what it was called). I related to both his compassion and his weird mix of idealism and pessimism. I also have a younger sister who is very much my "Tien"

Fitzchivalry (Farseer Trilogy): Quiet, humble, lonely, self-deprecating introvert who is too kind and idealistic for his own good, thinks way too much, likes to write, and wants nothing more than a boring, happy life with his family.. yup. Felt like I was reading about myself.

Nausicaa (Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind): We're both curious, easygoing, patient, and idealistic empaths who often take up the role of peace-maker and enjoy being with family, but like to spend a lot of time alone on our own personal hobbies. Granted, she's more of a social butterfly, but I still relate to her a lot.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:34 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hi Aly! This is a fascinating topic :D

My three are:

Spoiler! :

1. Lain Iwakura (my current avatar) - from the anime Serial Experiments Lain. It's a bit hard to talk about her without giving away too many spoilers about the show's plot, but broadly speaking she is a lonely junior highschooler (?) who is somewhat afraid of the adult world. The story is about the events transpiring after she starts exploring a kind of technology that begins to permeate every aspect of her being.

I find quite a lot of similarities between her and myself in terms of our relationships to family and friends. I think I had an equivalent to Lain's friend Alice in junior high, where she was that girl from the "normal world" who reached out to me and tried to be friends, but didn't fully realise what she was getting herself into XD

2. Gregor Samsa - from The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. He is a hardworking travelling salesman whose lifelong aspirations for his work and family are cut short when he one day wakes up to find himself transformed into a strange bug-like creature. I was always fascinated by the dysfunctional co-dependent relationship he fostered with his family as a 'breadwinner' that begins to fall apart after he can no longer put food on the table. While I can't say I've ever won anyone any bread, I can definitely relate to the kind of personality that wants to be dependable in the view of others, which can sometimes lead to unconsciously forcing people to depend on you.

3. Kathy H. - from Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I identify a lot with Kathy's sort of stoic, parental role to all the other clones she lives together with. Again, it's the character's relationship to others that does it for me, haha. She also has a complex rivalry/friendship with her best friend Ruth, which to me is just laden with queer subtext. The way these two characters act as foils to each other in the story I think really reflects my relationship with a lot of girls and women I've known in my life.

Ruth is ambitious, cares a lot what others think of her, and is really concerned with how the clones as a whole are perceived. Kathy meanwhile is more practical and finds the way Ruth behaves sometimes to be dishonest, even a betrayal of their relationship to one another.

Whoops - sorry for the essay! But thanks for the really interesting discussion topic. :D

Edit: I forgot to mention, another reason I relate to Lain is because I have this trouble of separating the impressions and images other people have of me from the person I am when I'm alone. A lot of the story involves her metaphorically dealing with that.
Last edited by Liminality on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:00 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Hi!

This is a great topic.

Spoiler! :

1. Peggy Olson (Mad Men) - Peggy is always someone I've identified with a lot, especially in recent years as I move forward in my career. She knows how to be the only woman in the room, but in spite of her success what she really wants is a family of her own.

2. Ariel (The Little Mermaid) - It was hard for me to a pick a Disney princess but I'm going to have to go with Ariel. She's curious, passionate, spunky and will stop at nothing to get where she wants to be.

3. Mia Dolan (La La Land) - When I saw this movie for the first time, I was like, "is she me?" -- right down to falling in love with Hollywood by checking out DVDs at the library
by her house.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:57 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

Hello!

This is an amazing topic!

These are my three:

Spoiler! :
1. Belle (Beauty and the Beast)- Belle is the Disney princess I've identified the most with. She's a bookworm, and she's kind. She wants an adventure like the ones she's always reading. I was like "Belle is basically me in a nutshell."

2. Katara (Avatar: The Last Airbender)- Katara spoke to me on a personal level. She is motherly, nurturing, and she does what is right. I don't have the trauma she has, thankfully. The Fire Nation took so many things from her, but she still wants to help innocent people from there.

3. Lisa Simpson (The Simpsons)- I don't know if she is too similar to Belle, but I identify with Lisa so much. When I was eight, I didn't have any close friends. I intellectually stimulated myself, and I also got very sad when book characters were having a hard time. I'm also becoming more interested in politics.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

91 Reviews

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:17 pm
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

Thanks for responding! It's really interesting to see how other people see certain characters and are able to relate to them.

Also cool that Valkyria and Elinor both chose disney princesses haha. If I had to choose one I identified with, it'd probably be Belle too.

Other than the obvious thing (..books), we're both INFPs, so she's always been one of the most relatable to me and one of my favorites :)

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:03 pm
View Likes
izzywidgeon says...

Question: Are your own OCs valid in this case, or do they have to be characters from franchises??
izzywidgeon

91 Reviews

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:07 pm
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

@izzywidgeon

The question is referring to characters created by other people, but if you have an OC that fits, go ahead! I'd like to hear about them c:

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:15 pm
View Likes
izzywidgeon says...

@AlyTheBookworm
Okay, cool. But I think I'm gonna go with a character from a franchise;

1)Uh..I'm gonna go with Glimmer from She-Ra and The Princesses of Power, mostly because of the dynamic she has with her mother. it's no surprise that to those who have watched the show that Glimmer has her..reservations with her mother, being as overprotective as she is. She does have dreams that go beyond the castle walls, you know? I feel like she and I relate because of how her dynamic with her mom works; her wants to keep her daughter from harm, while also wanting her to succeed greatly in her young life.

Oh, crap, I have to choose three?
2) Luz from The Owl House - she's a smol latina girl who loves cartoons and anime - that's literally me.

3) Dipper Pines from Gravity Falls - he's awkward as heck in every social interaction
izzywidgeon

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:01 am
View Likes
JoeTamez says...

Spoiler! :
I identify with Nico Di Angelo cause he was hiding from his true self for so long
I also identify with Jude Duarte, who fell in love with the one she hated most, She wasnt afraid of speaking her mind to him and She wasnt scared of Violence

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:38 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I need to come back to this thread later once I come up with my full list of three, but one character did immediately come to mind when I saw this thread:

Spoiler! :
1. Lucy Carlyle from Lockwood and Co. I'd like to think I'm as independent as her, but I also know that I have nowhere near the amount of spunk she has. I relate to having an unconventional group of friends, to her struggles with trying to find her own, solo path, and her empathy towards ghosts in the book series she's from.

Plus, we both have the same hair color. :P
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

91 Reviews

Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:47 pm
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

@Magebird

I really relate to Lucy too! I was actually considering adding her to my list of 3 as the third character, as I found her struggles very relatable- though I don't have her spunk either. Apparently some readers didn't like her character and thought she was boring (?), but I couldn't disagree with that more. She was always my favorite character because I could relate to her, so I'm glad to hear you were able to identify with her too.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:15 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@AlyTheBookworm, I can't believe people thought that! Lucy was awesome. I've always liked Jonathon Stroud's main characters, but Lucy really stuck out to me because of her personality and role in the story.

(I liked her so much that I was even her for Halloween one year.)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

I can factcheck ur flashback outfits
— SirenCymbaline