Young Writers Society

Hussein Sentenced to Death

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:45 am
backgroundbob says...

"All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

I wonder when we will understand that forgiveness is not only for when it is easy; I wonder even more when we will learn to practice it.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:13 am
Chandni says...

Well yeah this is very hard to give an opinion about I think, he surely deserves it, but then again the violence will raise as said above. About the Death Penalty overall errhmm well it really really depends on what the person did otherwise I'd say I'm against as well.

Oh yes being happy about someone being sentenced to death, well it is kinda cruel :?
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:13 am
Sponson Light says...

Well background bob, dowse the fire with water, dont let it burn more.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:21 am
LamaLama says...

In the end, it's the people's desiscion what to do with him. They are the people he effected, not us. So it would be wrong for anyone HERE to make a judgement on the morality of this choice.

Save for Khay, of course.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:01 am
sabradan says...

Personally, I'd rather he be tortured to near-death, then gassed and shot, like he did to many thousands of his own people, but I'll settle for this. This one'll do.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:23 am
Snoink says...

LamaLama wrote:In the end, it's the people's desiscion what to do with him. They are the people he effected, not us. So it would be wrong for anyone HERE to make a judgement on the morality of this choice.

Save for Khay, of course.

Psh. Because obviously, it's wrong for us to judge anything that happens in the world...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:04 am
Myth says...

I hope this doesn't become a norm in england.

You don't get hanged in the UK anymore.

Who is anyone to decide if someone deserves to be hanged or tortured? In the end it is God (if you believe in Him) who decides.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:09 am
Shine says...

Sabradan wrote:Personally, I'd rather he be tortured to near-death, then gassed and shot, like he did to many thousands of his own people, but I'll settle for this. This one'll do.

I totally agree with him.

Though I doubt of anything being solved in Iraq.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:07 pm
backgroundbob says...

So we let people die because that's what the law in their country says?

Goodbye objection to torture states, ethnic cleansing, little things like the Holocaust...
The Oneday Cafe

52 Reviews

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:01 pm
LamaLama says...

You seem to have missed the point. Ultimately the decision can only rest in the hands of the Iraqi's, because the Iraqi's were the people effected. Not Americans, not Europeans, not the UN. The Iraqis. Its their choice because it was their problem. If their going to hang him, they obviously are pretty perturbed about the whole thing, and it is their right to do so.

Foreign parties interjecting where the people are unable to defend themselves is one thing. Letting another country hang a convicted, condemned criminal, and known lunatic dictator is quite another. If you can't separate those two, then you need to go back to middle school.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

266 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:34 pm
backgroundbob says...

My apologies, I'd forgotten how effective the cycle of killing and revenge has been in promoting world peace and harmony.
The Oneday Cafe

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:22 pm
Revere says...

Backgroundbob -

You are my new hero. I couldn't possibly agree with you more.

Compassion is the most important part of my spirituality/philosophy. For some reason I don't think hanging someone counts as compassion, no matter what the circumstances.

>> Read my signature.
"[Maybe] If they don't light it, it can never go out."
^Mary, from Heat

>Previously known as green_river<

52 Reviews

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:40 pm
LamaLama says...

Still..... their.... choice. Not yours. So, it can conflict with your personal philosophy all you want it too. It doesn't change the fact that this has absolutely nothing to do with you.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:57 pm
backgroundbob says...

There is absolutely no difference in the principle of stepping in to stop a genocide and stepping in to stop the execution of a dictator. The only reason we allow one to happen and not the other is because we believe Saddam is 'evil' and stopping genocide is 'good.' It is, then, only our personal philosophy and preference that determines which act of killing we stop, instead of an overarching policy of either intervention to stop all bloodshed or complete unwillingness to meddle in other countries' politics.

Once again, Western foreign policy attempts to tailor the ethics to fit the publically acceptable facade instead of actual holding a moral line.
The Oneday Cafe

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:06 am
sabradan says...

So, forgiveness of murderers is really what stops murderers and dictators from being the evil people that they are. That makes TOTAL sense. And we should have forgiven Hitler and Stalin, too, right?
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

sometimes i don't consider myself a poet but then i remember that i literally write poetry
— chikara