z

Young Writers Society

Hussein Sentenced to Death

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:24 pm
LamaLama says...

BAGHDAD, Nov. 5 - An Iraqi tribunal today convicted Saddam Hussein of crimes against humanity and sentenced him to death by hanging for the brutal repression of a Shiite town in the 1980s.

As the chief judge read aloud the verdict, a defiant Mr. Hussein shouted, "Long live the people! Long live the Arab nation! Down with the spies!" He thrust his finger emphatically into the air as he spoke, then repeatedly chanted, "God is great!"

The judge, Raouf Rasheed Abdul Rahman, tried to calm Mr. Hussein down. "There’s no point," Mr. Rahman said.

The verdict, under Iraqi law, will immediately be submitted to an appellate court, which will begin its review within a month, officials said.

Read the whole thing
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:17 pm
Elizabeth says...

I heard that nobody is allowed outside after dark or something the day of the execution or something... I think he totally got what he deserved... I was surprised it took so long to sentence him.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:24 pm
Ares says...

*Performs dance of happiness*

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:28 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

I think it will be a step forward in reducing the violence in Iraq.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:33 pm
Firestarter says...

Really? There's already been violence over the verdict in Sunni quarters, so when they kill him expect more.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:38 pm
Teeeeo. says...

He deserves death, even though all these countries are saying our ethics are too good to put a man to death. So our ethics say we should keep a mass genocidal man alive?\

At least the UK agrees that he should be deathened (My new word, BTW)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:24 am
Snoink says...

Eep.

This is kind of strange, actually.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:50 am
Myth says...

I agree Snoink, quite strange. I didn't really feel anything, you can't really be 'happy' that someone has been put to death.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:56 pm
tinny says...

I know alot of people believe that because the trial was in Iraq itself, that it was definatly biased. I mean, most people thought he was going to be killed when the trail started.

I know he's killed people and is generally not nice but I still don't like the thought of him beign killed. I don't like the thought of anyone begin killed really.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:07 pm
Sureal says...

Indeed. I can't really celebrate someone being put to death, even if they did kill many people themselves.
I wrote the above just for you.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:46 pm
gyrfalcon says...

I'm not going to celebrate the fact that he's going to die, but in a way I'm glad we won't have to worry about him any more. I agree with Firestarter, there's going to be more violence when he's executed, but after that I sincerely hope/think it'll die down, at least a little. Tin Fish, I agree that life is sacred, and the death penalty isn't what I'd call my favorite thing, but sometimes...I don't know. I think it would be worse to let him escape justice for what he's done than to execute him.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:26 pm
L says...

I thought he was dead :?

ah well, i think that after he dies, things will start getting better over there, but have you ever thought that this isn't all its cracked up to be? Im sorry for bringing up a conspiricy theory (im good at this) but he has 30 days or something where he could stop himself from being hung doesn't he? I think there's something fishy going on, and that he might not end up being killed. To me this is something said to the public so everyone keeps faith in the goverment.
Death is strong and it will make an impact but its not going to stop absolutely everything. But a lot of people think that it will.
And im wondering that once this 'hanging' does happen, where we'll stop with it. Aren't there 2 other people sentanced to death? I hope this doesn't become a norm in england.
If you get what im talking about

Aw man i tried lol (waits for abuse)
Siggys' suck, I don't know what to say about myself. Doopeydoo...

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:52 pm
Sureal says...

The trial was in Iraq, not England. Presumably he'll be hung in Iraq also.
I wrote the above just for you.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:16 am
backgroundbob says...

Ah yes, how wonderful, yet another triumph for democracy and the advanced ethics of the "civilized" world! Obviously the correct way to deal with the horrific and despicable fact of a man who kills people would be... to kill him! How on earth, indeed, did we never realise that by descending to the level of the most brutal, we can promote peace and justice and healing to a broken and hurting world? Surely it should have been obvious to everyone from that start that the proper thing to do with a capital punishment law used to commit genocide on a grand scale would be to keep it in place in order to kill more people!

Do you know why the shortest and most self-explanatory passage in the Bible is "Jesus wept"? Because it requires no explanation or interpretation: it is applicable to every single moment of human history. Christ Almighty but we have fallen short of the glory of God; we truly are pathetic creations.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:31 am
Nate says...

Lama, fixed the link since it was screwing up with the page width.

Bob, I'm against the death penalty as well, but it's hard to argue against it in the case of men like Saddam Hussein. In any case, the thing that one must realize is that this was a trial by the government in Iraq. As such, the sentence given out was under Iraqi law, not US law. Indeed, the United States has been careful to not get involved in any way other than to provide security. Cultural mores differ from society to society, it is not in our rights to speak against the laws of another nation, especially when those laws are chosen by a democratically elected government. Now, if it was a brutal military dictatorship vis a vis Burma, or a theocracy vis a vis Iran, that'd be one thing. Fortunately, Iraq is not, at this time, either of those two.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what happens from here. I doubt that it'll actually lead to anything or solve anything, but who knows. Iraq has to turn around sometime. Violence doesn't escalate forever.

I was flummoxed by fractious Franny's decision to abrogate analgesics for the moribund victims of the recent conflagration. Of course, to display histrionics was discretionary, but I did so anyways, implicating a friend in my drama to make the effect cumulative. I think a misanthrope would have a prosaic appellation, perhaps one related to autonomy and the rejection of anthropocentrism. I think they wouldn't think much of the prominence of watching the coagulation of tea to prognosticate future malevolent events, not even if those events were related to jurisprudence.
— Spearmint