z

Young Writers Society

Advice For Naming A Character?

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:48 pm
EverLight says...

I'm in a bit of a jam if you will, with naming my latest protagonist. I want a name, (or two names if you put them together as a first and last name) that mean either ''new light' or 'new future' or 'he who rises from shadows'. The closest thing I've come is Asher Phoenix. The name Asher means 'happy' and Phoenix is a bird that rises or is reborn so if you put the two together (and ignore the 'mythical bird' bit') it means 'happiness reborn' Which suits my purpose (and my protagonists character arch), but I'm worried it's is already taken, plus, I'm just not satisfied with 'the ring to it'.
Do you guys think the name works, if not, then do you have any suggestions or advice?
I'm winning at life!

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:36 pm
View Likes
MaxaM says...

I really like going to google translate and play with kanjis, so while doing that i came up with these:
Miki Hikari (未来= Mirai (future), but 未 can be read as Mi and 来 as Ki, and Hikari is literally light)
Shin Kibō (Literally "New hope")

Or you could make some sort of anagram with the words of the meaning you wanna give.
But to be honest, when the names i use are not japanese or chinese i use a site called FantasyNameGenerator and then use google to see the meaning of the names that call my attention
Last edited by MaxaM on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:04 pm
View Likes
VioletFantasy says...

I like that name! It does seem a little familiar, although that might just be because there’s someone named Phoenix Ashby who goes to my school xD. I do have one name suggestion for you if you decide not to use that one. It is Xavier Doughty. Xavier means “bright” or “new”. Doughty means “powerful” or “brave”. I hope this can help you!

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:46 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Piggybacking off VioletFantasy's suggestion of Xavier, perhaps you could go with Xavier Lux? The name "Lux" means light, and I think it sounds really cool paired with Xavier. :)

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:11 pm
View Likes
VioletFantasy says...

Ooooh, good idea @Kassiani!

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:20 pm
View Likes
Kazumi says...

I'll just put out some suggestions I got from some sources for naming characters in general. Maybe you can try these guidelines to make your names more memorable :0

-Follow your gut.

Like, I see these writers spending their waking hours preoccupied with what to name their characters, and I'm sitting here like, man. There are way bigger things to worry about, bigger things that you could imbue with meaning than your characters' names, like the story itself (which is the most important).

So, the name that you most strongly resonate with right now, go with it no matter what it is. Because sometimes your gut is right and your confidence in it will legitimize the name you picked for the character in the eyes of your audience.

(Besides, if you think about it, nobody really cares about such trivial things unless your story is so good. You've got to earn that interest of the audience before they become so charmed that they find your character's name's etymology interesting enough to be amazed by or to be worth examining.)

-Make it catchy.

Billie Eilish, Donald Trump, Miley Cyrus, Bob Ross. There's a reason why stage names and politician names are short and memorable. So that's a guideline.

-Misspell it.

The Neil Gaiman book was supposed to be named Caroline instead of Coraline, if not for that typo of his. But he stuck with it because Coraline was memorable. There aren't any mistakes in this world--just happy little accidents :>>
top kek

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:38 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

You mentioned if the name is already taken, that's a losing battle :) The chance of naming your character something that has never been used is just not going to happen, and that's okay! Unless you're going the Elon Musk route and naming your character a bunch of random letters and numbers, it will have been used before. But people like familiarity and your character can be unique in many different ways besides just their name.

For specific name meanings, I'd try going to baby name websites. You can usually search for names based on a meaning and that might give you some ideas of things to put together. But ultimately pick a name you like, that you can pronounce, and that you can type relatively easily - you're going to have to see it and type it a whole lot :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

"There is nothing to fear from someone who shouts."
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart