z

Young Writers Society

What Do You Wanna Be When You Grow Up?

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:15 pm
View Likes
MeherazulAzim16 says...

Somebody who makes a difference somehow.
"We Are Groot."
— Groot

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 am
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Hello, just an oldie who's back visiting for awhile.
Writing was never a career goal that I imagined myself having, I loved writing but I wasn't really interested in doing it full time. As I've grown older, writing, specifically in academia, has become a central focus of everything I do-- but I still don't plan on doing it full time.

I'm graduating with my BS in Psychology in May, and hopefully will be going straight into a Doctoral program for Developmental Psychology this coming fall. After completing my Ph.D, I'd like to become a clinician while I'm raising my family (to have a little more flexibility), and then eventually move into a position as a professor at a university.
As for writing, I've started developing more concrete goals. I recently submitted my poetry manuscript to a full length poetry book competition ([link=https://buttonpoetry.com]Button Poetry[/link]), and I've started to lay the plans for beginning my own preschool curriculum as well as having dreams to write college textbooks one day on child psychology.

All of this to say, I really just want to educate and share my love for learning with others. I am so passionate about my field of study and it's really helped me figure out who I am and what I want to be.

If all this fails, I'm moving to Colorado and opening up a bed and breakfast.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:42 pm
View Likes
IamI says...

I'm in my first year of high school, so some while might say it's early, I say it's never too early. right now the careers that are the most interesting to me are writing part time and doing some thing else; I've been thinking about doing something involving statistics or being a sociologist, and other than that I've been considering being an academic of some sort, as I get older the importance of having good teachers becomes more and more apparent to me. Writers don't make a ton of money, so I've never really considered being a full time writer, but I can definitely see myself as a part time writer. I've been doing as much reading up on creative writing and writing in general as I can. I'm hoping it'll pay off some day.
-_-

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:00 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

A writer.

In the meantime, before I grow into a writer, I'm going to be a psychotherapist. In fact, I'm in the middle of my Master's degree in Counselling Psychology. But the plan after is to get my MFA in Creative Non-Fiction ;)

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:55 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

I am in my second year of community college, and I think I have a decent game plan. Biology is my major, while becoming a high school biology teacher is a goal, and reach goals would be to a) become an athletic trainer (by going through a master's program) or b) getting a Doctorate from going through a physical therapy program, and becoming a physical therapist.

I know for sure I will be getting a bachelor's degree in biology, while the rest is a little more uncertain. I would love to get my teaching credential, and doing further schooling does sound fun, but also terrifying and challenging. I'll have to see how I feel after (eventually) transferring to a four-year-university, and when I get to graduate with my bachelor's degree! ^^
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:54 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

A couple of the older YWSers know I'm working on my doctorate in science - genetics specifically.
My dream placement is teaching at small colleges. Factors in terms of pay, the dismal job market and locations of a lot of these colleges is a factor that make me second guess.
So maybe research in the industry?
With that said most of my writing is academic, and writing stories/poems will always be one of my hobbies.

I've wanted to be a dog mom for a while, and that goal has been completed as of Sep 2019!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 pm
View Likes
queenofscience says...

Lavvie wrote:A writer.

I used to want to be a writer full time. But now I am aiming to be a librarian.

Writing is hard work. I love it, but it's hard. I still want to get somthing published.

Does anyone here want to be a librarian?
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

44 Reviews

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:44 pm
View Likes
jster02 says...

@queenofscience I haven’t given it much thought. I think I initially brushed it off because I assumed they wouldn’t make much, and it seemed like a lot of studying to get started But now that I think of it, I don’t actually care about making a ton of money that much anymore... I might actually look into it, thanks for the idea!
What's the point of success if it makes me miserable?

46 Reviews

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:58 am
View Likes
queenofscience says...

Do you mean being a libraian?

A few years ago I looked into being a libraian for a career. I love books and understand what books mean to people. I love to read (dispite having low vison.) And I love knowlage. I love it when people are into books. :)

Originaly, I though you had to go to school and get a degree. ( That is what I saw on cereer websites) For a while I gave up on my goal because I'd have to go to school. College is hard for me. (I have a few disabilites.) Now, very receantly, I have found that I can be an librarian assistant and not the head librarian. For the headlibrarian you need a degree. For an assistant they just want general experiance and a High School Deplomia or GED . I have looked in the job website, Indeed, for a job post for a librarian. In my experiance, they (the job post) require different skills/experiance. But, a far as the main differances from head to assistant librarian, they seem consistant.

I havn't found a librarian job yet (the onee in my arew are taken) but I'll keep up with my serch/applying. :)

If you want, you can ask me questions? I might be able to dirrect you in a job serch, etc.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

46 Reviews

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:04 am
View Likes
queenofscience says...

genetics specifically.

I love genetics and bio. If you want to talk, science, i'd b happy to chat!

44 Reviews

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:13 am
View Likes
jster02 says...

Being a librarian assistant sounds like a good job to try at some point, even if I don't make it my career forever. I haven't graduated high school yet though, so it'll be a little bit before I can try for it.
What's the point of success if it makes me miserable?

46 Reviews

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:29 am
View Likes
queenofscience says...

If you have a passon for the writen lanauge, and books, I'd recomond it.

But, more importantly, find what you love to do and makes you happy. Reserch a job/career. Then go for it.:)

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:58 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

What do I want to be when I grow up?
That's not something you'd want to ask a tenacious, ambitious, person with a thousand dreams but since you dared, I'd live a nice quiet, respectable life as a farmer and make enough cash to feed my family...Yeah right. There are a million things I want to do with my life.
Fancy Vet Work
I've always known that animals (cats in particular) would be a major part of my life, so for a while, I contemplated becoming a Vet, and starting my own practice. After all, Veterinarians have a decent annual income of 88,770. However, it takes a lot to manage a practice, and that dream faded with my Childhood.
Stars Dreams!
Now that I've ''grown-up'' somewhat, the stars have called me to a destiny greater than earth, so I'm currently planning to major in Astrophysics, and maybe open up an Observatory and teach the young'un's about the universe.
I'm also praying that this one becomes my Ph.D. (crossing my heart and hoping to die)
The Sad Author
I wish I could make a career out of writing but most authors don't make enough money. At most, they make 55,420, and new authors only make 1000. That's not going to make ends meet.
However, I won't give up writing novels completely. Writing is my lifeblood, and to be without my pen and paper (or my laptop and keyboard haha) is, for me, to be dead.
I'm winning at life!

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:03 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Right now I’m just an accounting major so the ideal dream endpoint is to
be a forensic accountant.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:48 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Two things. I'm undecided.

First, and the one I have considered for the longest time, is an architect. It's what my dad wanted to be, but he wound up being a lawyer, so he's been teaching me all about buildings. I live in a historic part of my city, and I would love to design buildings like the ones here. Brick, mansards, fancy windows, everything.

Second, is a pilot. I went on a field trip to an aircraft hanger. They showed this super cool video of people flying a small plane and all that jazz, and it fascinated me. I'd get to travel, while doing something I'd enjoy, and also... it'd just be cool. The problem is, my dad is scared of flying (but thinks planes are cool). He was on a plane where the engine exploded and has only gone on a plane once since.

You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts.
— LEGO Batman