z

Young Writers Society

Work in a hot or cold room?

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon May 21, 2018 4:31 am
View Likes
Kazumi says...

Would you rather work in a hot/warm room, or cold/chilly room? By work, I mean any productive activity, like writing your literature, school requirements, or tasks in your day job.

Personally, I absolutely hate the cold. My family always wants air conditioning on, but I always refuse to turn it on when I'm in the room. Aside from the fact that I'm used to higher temps due to living near the equator, I hate it because it slows me down. It makes my fingers so stiff and numb that it's so hard to get on a productive streak. I get super miffed especially when it happens in the cafes where I try to write.

I'm wondering if I'm just the only one weird kid that likes rooms in the hotter end.

So, would you rather warm up the room or cool it down when you work?
Last edited by Kazumi on Mon May 21, 2018 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
top kek

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon May 21, 2018 5:51 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Cold.

Firstly my actual job is in hospitals, which are kept warm because patients get cold very easily lying in bed. But you could easily clock up 10km on a busy day running from ward to ward and lab etc etc. At night time you can wear scrubs but during the day you're expected to dress in business-casual clothes, and you can just end up feeling so sweaty and flustered and it makes it much harder to concentrate and feel productive, Which I actually think goes a big way to being productive.

Writing... I like to be cosy and warm. But if it's too hot I can't manage anything. I would always, always, always take being too cold over being too hot. Any day of the week.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Mon May 21, 2018 2:59 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

I think I'd take being too cold rather than too hot. Because if it's hot, I become pretty unproductive and the heat can make me tired more quickly. For cold, though, I can just wrap a blanket around me or wear a jacket to ward off any chilliness.

But warm and moderate is the best. Because if it's *too* cold, my fingers become stiff and then I can't write properly.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon May 21, 2018 8:50 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I think I'd prefer a hot room. Mostly because at times I feel like I've spent half my life being cold while indoors, either because the air conditioning is turned up too high or the heat isn't high enough, and it drives me crazy. I could put another jacket on, but I *hate* having my feet be cold and it takes like six hours for them to warm up after you put socks on.

Being hot, however... as long as it's not stuffy and I have water and don't have to be moving around, it's actually kind of energizing. I can always use the water to cool myself down, plus it's usually easier to cool a room down just by turning a fan on or opening the door.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Such an interesting question!

I think I prefer the cold, maybe because most of the time when I was writing in the cold it was because I couldn't afford heating (or food, all that much,) and it was at those times that escapism was most beautiful and I was more driven to create a world different to my own. So now when I get really cold I slip into this mindset of trying to create beautiful things. It's quite nice.

When I'm warm I just get into the mindset of long naps, lazy evenings, and adopting various cat-like poses on whatever sunlit grass I come across.

I would say the exception is when it gets so cold it gets harder to move my fingers. Then it's time to pack up and go home =p
We were born to be amazing.

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Tue May 29, 2018 5:26 pm
elysian says...

cold, because I can cover up with blankets and such, but if it's hot then I don't have anyway to get cooler.
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical