z

Young Writers Society

A Squills Reporter Asks: Misheard Lyrics

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sun May 13, 2018 8:22 pm
Brigadier says...

We've all done it.

Don't even try to pretend like you've heard every word of every song you've ever listened to, perfectly.

Even if you don't listen to much music, there are some widespread misheard lyrics, that many people have made the mistake with.
Among them is "there's a bathroom on the right", which is a more famous one since John Fogerty has swapped it in, in some of his live versions.

This thread isn't here to judge.
It's just here to see what lyrics have been misheard and which interpretation mistakes have been made.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon May 14, 2018 7:28 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I always thought that that song "Begging You" was an ode to a woman called Betty Blue.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon May 14, 2018 5:21 pm
Shady says...

Kenny Chesney's song "Beer in Mexico" has a line that goes "I'm at these crossroads in my life, And I really don't know which way to go"

I always heard it as "I'm at these crossroads in my life, and Billy don't know which way to go" which never made sense considering Billy wasn't mentioned anywhere else in the song ;)

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon May 14, 2018 5:50 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

In Taylor Swift's song "Shake it Off" I was convinced that "Heartbreakers gonna break, break, break, break" was "our bakers gonna bake, bake, bake, bake"...

Then another one is in Ed Sheeran's song "Perfect" there's a line that is "I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms, barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song" and I still consistently hear it as "barefoot on the cross...." and thought it was a super strange crucifixion reference shoved in there.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 am
View Likes
Mea says...

...I am trying and failing to think of one of these, because my problem is essentially that I don't understand any music lyrics well, ever, (thanks, hearing loss) and so I never really assume that what my brain interprets as the lyrics is actually correct until I've gone and looked them up. xD I know I've come up with some really bizarre interpretations, but I'm blanking at the moment.

I did use to think that the Cupid Shuffle was the Cubic Shuffle, so there's that. (In my defense, everyone gets into a square formation when you dance it...)
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

you should no this
— Hijinks