z

Young Writers Society

Saratoga National Historical Park w/pictures!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:20 am
Fishr says...

Howdy all! So, those who've been reading my blog are aware that It took a trip down to Saratoga, New York to check out the actual Battlefield in 1777. I was a very broad war, with many "mini battles." The participants - British - Simon Fraser, Gen. John Specht and Gen. Burgoyne, who was the commanding officer, and their Hessian allys. The "rebel" army - Danial Morgan and his Virgina milita Sharpshooters, Gen. Benedict Arnold (the commanding officer of the engagement), Enoch Poor, Gen. Ebenezer Learned, John Glover, John Patterson, and John Nixon. I've probably forgotten a few, but those are the ones I remember.

Man, all I can say is, it was mega cool! The area is one of the most historically preserved sites in the States, and the prettiest. Leave it to the Brits to encamp in the more serene areas, lol!

Also, there was a British Regiment - the re-created 24th Regiment of Foot, a group of humble New Yorkers who are as fond of the period as me, if not more so. In the group of men, I met up with a gentleman that is quickly becoming a good friend of mine, whom you will read about in an article I will also provide. Right before I left to finish my tour, a group of reporters apparently came by and my friend and a woman (a "campfollower") by the name of Laura, who I also had the pleasure to meet, was also in the article.

Here's the link: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/st ... TextPage=2

Inside the Visitor center, before taking the full tour, I took a few pictures of actual artifacts. I apologize for my lack of photography skills and the glare. The camera I was using didn't have the option of killing the flash.

How about those hair brushes? Yikes!

I have forgotten what this was, but I took a picture because it looked barbaric, LOL!

One of the many battles and on a farm, not far from the Nielson's Farm actually. The Nielson Farm was just up the "ridge," (north actually). If you look at the pics, you'll see a faint path, and the posts; those were where the actual British soldiers were standing 230 years ago.

The left of the Asa Chatfield Farm

The right of Chatfield's Farm

A cartoon of the Nielson Farm in 1777.

The actual Nielson Farm; the original house and foundation still standing 230 years ago! Apparently this house served as headquarters to Arnold, and other "Patriot" leaders of the War, as well housing eight children, John Nielson and his wife - all in one house! Yikes!! Another interesting fact, long before Arnold turned "traitor" when the ancestors of the Nielsons' took over the property in the early 1800's, the family made no mention of him but only the officers of the Continental Army that stayed in the house. They simpley didn't want to admit nor acknowledge Benedict Arnold slept within the walls.

The Nielson House from afar. I wanted the tree in the picture because it was probably as old as the house was.

Side shot.

Closer shot.

Inside of the house. Now, we weren't allowed to step inside, which is perfectly acceptable. A historical landmark that old deserves the up most respect and it would be a real shame to have anything damaged. Because of the 24th camping nearby, the house was setup as if a military regiment was occupying it.

This is to the right of the room. The picture doesn't show it, but inside the fireplace, there is a long medal hook with a wood hand piece. The purpose of the hook was to, well cook your meals, and the hand piece was set in the center of it, and used as a means of moving the hook towards or away from the fire so you didn't burn yourself.

Middle.

Left.

I should also mention, there was a loft up stairs, which is probably where the children slept. There is also no mention of slaves being used on the Nielson Farm.

Adjacent from the house, there is a spectacular monument, in remembrance of the fallen soldiers - identified but will always be remembered by generations to come.

What the tablet says on the monument:

Another tablet near the house itself:

A cannon on the Nielson property. There were actually many of these scattered about. One, which I didn't take a picture of, was forged in Boston, C1753.

A interesting picture, also on the property.

The best for last, just to whet your interests when I have the rest of my photos developed. This is shot of the encampment, and the woman walking ahead of me is my mom. :) When I have the rest of my picture developed, I have where my friend, Dave, is standing next to my left, and me grinning, shooting the "hang loose" sign. I met Dave originally online where I was posting facts about the Revolution, and, on a series that aired on the History Channel called The Revolution. I guess I made a strong impression because Dave willingly admitted he enjoyed my posts of the 18th Century, and that was the beginning of being exposed to "living history." I finally got the chance to meet Dave, face to face, back in Ticonderoga, New York in mid September. He was dressed as Royal Navy in "slops."

The encampment from afar

Here's a link to the Royal Regiment of Whales (AKA the 24th.) The Regiment is still alive and kicking, which some are not, such as the 51st Reg't of Foot - departed in the 60's. I forgot the actual date but you can run a search on Wikipedia. Type in "51st Regiment of Foot" or "Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry"

Royal Navy

The re-created 24th's site: http://www.24thfoot.org.

The whole group is really friendly, and if you live within the area, I highly suggest checking out one of their events. It's a lot of fun for sure, because everyone there shares the same interest on some grounds as you. Next year, there's going to be a big huzzah on the Saratoga Battlefield. The reason? 2007 and 1777, any connection yet? :) Yes, there will be a HUGE gathering of reenactors from different regiments. It'll be awesome!!

A [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saratoga[/url]link to an article about the actual battle itself. There is a little know historical fact that concerns Horatio Gates and Arnold. The two DID NOT get along; Gates stealing the glory and taking credit for Arnold's accomplishments. These series of events were a slap to Arnold, who entered the War, not to assist specifically, but for his own selfish morals. He, like Gates, wanted to seek glory and make a name for themselves; become famous so to speak. In this article, you will read that Arnold was shot in the leg, and later was relieved by his commanding officer - General Gates - Ut- oh!

Well, I hope you enjoy the small portion I supplied, and there will be more, as soon as the buggers are developed.

Any questions, by all means feel free to ask. I can't promise I'll know all the answers but I do the best to my ability.

Many thanks for taking the time in looking through and sharing a portion of the day with me. :)
Last edited by Fishr on Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:33 am
LamaLama says...

The picture that you say you've forgotten what it was... looks like flax hatchet.

Am a genious? Yes, but thats not how I know that.

You managed to capture the caption benieth the device.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

365 Reviews

Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:35 am
Fishr says...

LOL! I always knew I had poor vision but I didn't realize I had the caption in it. My thanks, Lama. Hope you enjoyed the pictures and information otherwise.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:30 am
Firestarter says...

Great pictures, fishr! :)

CAN'T WAIT for the next photos though!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:24 pm
Myth says...

I haven't check your blog for ages Fishr! Interesting pictures and I can now get a few images in my headof what thing like look in Samuel's world. :D
.: ₪ :.

'...'

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:05 pm
Cassandra says...

Gorgeous pics, Fishr! Can't wait to see the other ones once you get them developed.

Glad to see you had fun as well! :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

365 Reviews

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:51 am
Fishr says...

Thanks guys! I appreciate the enthusiasm!! Jack, the rest of the pictures should be developed tomorrow but they weren't taken by me. They were taken by my mom, which I'm hoping she didn't take pictures of trees and flowers! :)

Actually, I think she said she used up the rest of the film (where as I was using a digital camera until I broke it, lol), taking pictures of the encampment.

I'll have to ask my bud if he wants his picture on the Net though, but the rest will be posted. :)

Myth - I'm glad you're taken to the period, and gwtting a nice visual of Samuel's world but, remember he lives in the outskirts of Boston, Massachusetts. :) His world would have more "life" to it, with the ongoing of sloops coming into port and the immense foot traffic in the streets. Next year, it will be a busy year for sure! I'll be at the Batte of Hubbardt, Vermont, Fort Oswego, Battle of Saratoga, Battle at Fort Ticonderoga, and if time permits, I'll be visiting Boston! In Boston though, I will taken the Freedom Trail and see the most historical areas of the town such as Paul's Revere's house, the Custom's House (Old State House, where the Boston "Massacre" happened), the area of John Hancock's house upon Beacon St, Griffin's Warf (where the Tea Party took place), the Granary Burial Grounds, and many others areas. The Granary is the third oldest cememtary in the States! Within its walls, it's the final resting place of Samuel Adams, Revere, the victims of the "Massacre," Hancock, Increase Sumner (one of Boston's Gov.) and Robert Treat Paine.

Hehe... as they would say if you were loyal to the British Army - For King and Country!

After I go back to school, I'm pretty certain that I'll undergo the training and join the British Army, AKA become a re-enactor myself. I could definately pass for a eighteen year old gentleman.

Good day all! Until next time...

365 Reviews

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:46 pm
Fishr says...

Hehe, it's fun saying that because I have roots in England. :)

Anyway, we noticed there was quite a few that didn't get developed, which sucks because some of the members of the regiment eagerly posed. Shots of their kitchen, husband, wife and their child hugging for the camera, inside the tents, and closeup shots of various soldiers were all lost. If only I hadn't broke the digital camera, I would have had better pictures, and by better, it appears I'm more skilled at photography than my mom, who was taking the pictures. Ah, well, what can you do?

Onward, shall we? ;)

The re-created 24th Regiment of Foot (the regiment I'm thinking about joining too by the way)

The guy up front, (the one where his back is turned), is the commanding officer.

Meet the commanding officer. :)

This is an interesting picture that was taken because there is a lot going on here. Firstly, notice the "drummer boy" behind the regiment? The drums were a way of communication on the battlefield. No one's voice can obviously carry over cannons, muskets and rifles firing. The drums were used to signal the soldiers day to day activities - when to rise and sleep, the different directions of where to march etc. For example - if I remember correctly - the Reveille was basically the beat to signal to the soldiers, "Time to wake up! It's a new day!"

In this picture, also, the commanding officer is intructing his troops to make ready, and fire. Eventually, what happens is the command to affix the bayonets is called, and the regiment walks slowly towards the crowd in front of them. I, like the rest, must have had a death wish. On normal circumstances, in the beginning of the war, it wasn't uncommon for the Continentals to flee for their lives. The crowd just stayed put and didn't budge as a line of steel got closer and closer. The other thing is, look to the the front and far left. The man off to what would normally be your left side; that is my bud that has harnessed my interest tenfold! His name is Dave, as you might have read in the newspaper article I supplied at the very beginning of the post. He's extreamly nice and I'm glad to have met him - twice. :)

Ahh... It's the Germans! No, not the Hessians. Unfortunately, I've forgotten their name because I've never heard of the title but unlike the so-called "best army in the world," these hired mercenaries were the professionals, and the snipers of the 18th century. Whereas the musket is able to shoot 100 yards, they were horriably inaccurate. These Germans used rifles, and on some of their firearms, they had "sights." These rifles could shoot 300 yards!! In those days, that was excellent! So, while the British were trying to "break the line" for a bayonet charge, the Germans were picking one target at a time, and killing them. Also, unlike the British, these Germans didn't need the drums to signal commands; they were the pros and fired at will, without direct orders from the commander of the Army. In those regards, picture it through the Continental's eyes. Walking or running slowly onto the field, and then watching your comrade mysterously shot right before your eyes, and you have yet to see the enemy.

The Germans - the guys in a green uniform.

Well, I have a couple more pictures, mainly ones of commerations of fallen, and mortally wounded British officers, such as Col. Frazer, whom died, and was laid almost next to the Hudson River.

But, another story for another time, like tomorrow when I'm more coherent, lol. I'm fairly tired, so I hope everyone enjoys the couple of pictures that did survive of the regiment.

I should point out though, that what is posted is only 25% of the entire trip. If my digital camera had not broke, there would be so much more! But with those regards, again, I hope you enjoy what's posted and I shall post the rest of the pictures tomorrow. Thanks for looking and of course, any questions, feel free to ask.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:51 pm
Firestarter says...

Great pics, fishr! You know I love them.

I gotta wonder why the commanding officer has a musket though ... British officers carried a flintlock pistol and a sabre.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

365 Reviews

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:55 pm
Fishr says...

Ahh..., you're correct. I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps he had on the field as a "display" or he had unconciously forgotten it was in his hand, lol! I can't tell you enough how many times I've made that mistake!

Thank you for the comments, Jack! :)

161 Reviews

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:13 am
Cassandra says...

Really nice pictures, fishr!

It's interesting about the drums--I didn't know that, but it makes sense, obviously. Because how would anyone hear over the cannons?

Your posts are like a history book, only interesting, and with cooler photos. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

365 Reviews

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:23 am
Fishr says...

I'll sleep happy tonight! That's a very nice compliment, Cassandra. Much thanks!

It's interesting, now the cannons were brought up, haha... Those things were deadly, and no I don't mean just the cannon balls themselves. Sure, when fired, it would richoche(sp) on the ground, hitting one person, bounce off, hit another, and so on; kinda like a pinball. The ball would hit, say a leg, bounce, and smack into a hip, etc. But, when cannon balls were low or not available, nails were sometimes used. If not nails, rocks, and not rocks, sand. Can you imagine being impaled by nails or rocks, shooting at you at lightning speed? As for the sand, pending how close you actually were to the cannon, in close contact, the slip would hit, and rip off layers of your skin. And your face? Well, consider yourself permanetly blind, as well missing layers in addition. I learned this - about the cannon - when I was visiting Fort Ticonderoga. :D Enjoy my last history lesson for the night, or at least I hope someone found it informative. :)

161 Reviews

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:34 am
Cassandra says...

Ugh. *Shutters* Lovely visual there, but interesting nonetheless. Isn't it great how some of the most intriguing things are the most bizarre and/or disgusting? :)
-Chuck Palahniuk

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:36 am
Firestarter says...

Grapeshot is much worse, imagining standing before a cannon as it fires out hundreds of metal balls, and they pierce through you everywhere ...

365 Reviews

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:40 am
Fishr says...

I'll take my chances with a firing squad, thank you very much! At least I'll be blindfolded!

Ugh. *Shutters* Lovely visual there, but interesting nonetheless. Isn't it great how some of the most intriguing things are the most bizarre and/or disgusting?
Hehe... that's whay I love the older eras. They way they thought, felt, dressed etc. is very interesting. Speaking of barbaric, google the "dunking stool." Now that is cruel. I don't believe it was used in the 18th century but it certaintly was used in the 17th - a form of colonial punishment. And I thought the electric chair was brutal...

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"