z

Young Writers Society

Should Steve Irwin's final video be shown?

Well? Out with it.

Yea
44%
Nea
32%
Unsure
24%

Total votes : 25

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:39 pm
LamaLama says...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5326802.stm

While we might question what kind of person would want to watch such a gruesome spectacle, I suggest there are reasons why we should at least consider making the footage available to the public. Steve Irwin was a well-known public figure, whose popular TV shows regularly drew large audiences.

His death occurred while he was in the process of filming another documentary - hence the existence of the footage in question. The life and death of a public figure are - naturally - of public interest. This is particularly the case when a person is well-known because of the risks he takes.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:58 pm
backgroundbob says...

Leave it up to the family, I think. They can decide.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

Reviews: 1
Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:58 pm
fate says...

Well...personally, I want to see what happened. Not because I'm sick or anything, I just want to see exactly what happened. On the other hand, much as Stve Irwin annoyed the hell out of me, I'm not sure it would be very fair on his wife and kids. Though I don't know - maybe he was a bad dad...

Random avatar

Reviews: 103
Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:14 pm
View Likes
Cameron says...

I too am somewhat curious. I've heard so many different versions of what exactly happened. And further more, it's not like Steve Irwin's shows were the least bit reserved...dangling his kid in front of a crocodile...so he might as well kick out with a nice controversial video...It's how Steve would of wanted it lol.
The individual leads in actual fact a double life, one in which he is an end to himself and another in which he is a link in a chain which he serves against his will or at least independently of his will.
--SIGMUND FREUD

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:50 pm
Bjorn says...

You don't see a guy being stabbed in the heart by a stingray everyday, now do you? I mean, what about the controversy over releasing movies on the events of 9/11. And yet they were. I guess in the end it comes down to his family, it always does, and I won't question their decision. Karma.
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:58 pm
Sophie says...

backgroundbob wrote:Leave it up to the family, I think. They can decide.

I agree with that. i was gonna say I think showing it is what Irwin would deffinately have wanted - but his family is more likely to know if that is true than me.
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:04 pm
Galatea says...

I'm pretty sure this will make it to the public one way or another. It might as well be legitimate.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:20 pm
Armadian says...

I say leave it to the family.
How can you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist...

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:48 am
WarthogDemon says...

Up to the family, though I say yes.

I think Steve would want it to be shown.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:09 am
Incandescence says...

All,

It is the decision that the family must make. Why there is such hooplah about why they should release it escapes me. It seems ironical to me that the same people saying it should be released have not stopped to ask where these "rights" for Irwin's family are that we demand for others and ourselves--namely, the sanctity of life and privacy? You can not have it both ways.

Best,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:14 am
Crysi says...

Agreed. As much as I'm interested in seeing what happened (it would give me peace of mind, I think, instead of imagining all the details myself), it's definitely up to the family. I mean, it's bad enough having to deal with it day after day, especially since he was a celebrity. Having to see it and relive the memories day after day... that's something they have to decide if they can cope with.

I heard that once he joked that, "If I'm going to die, I at least want it filmed!" Unfortunately, we can't ask him for his opinion now, so it's up to his family. I deeply respect their decision either way.
Love and Light

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:40 am
Snoink says...

The family decides.

But I wouldn't watch it...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:44 am
WarthogDemon says...

Snoink wrote:The family decides.

But I wouldn't watch it...

Wait, this is INCLUDING him getting stabbed? O_o I was answering on the presumption that it'd be edited out...

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:08 pm
Emma says...

I wanna watch it. I wanna see how that guy died. :]

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:42 pm
backgroundbob says...

Personally I think it should be made into a music video with "This Ol' Heart of Mine" playing in the background.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

The secret of being tiresome is to tell everything.
— Voltaire