Young Writers Society

The Collective Summer 2014 Booklist!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue May 13, 2014 11:52 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

I don't know about you guys, but I love quick and easy reads for summer days!

Title: The Dresden Files (series)
Author: Jim Butcher
Genre: Fantasy/Crime
What's it about? A wizard in our modern world turns private eye to pay the rent -- and gets himself tangled with crime in both the magical and non-magical world!
Why you should read it: It's funny, it's easy to read, and the adventures are pretty amusing as well!
This book would suit you if: If you've always thought that private investigators and werewolves were totally suited with each other, you are good to go! A caution on gore and suggested sex (usually in crime scenes).

Title: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Genre: Romance
What's it about? A large, English country family with all girls goes marriage crazy. The problem? The guys the girls are interested in keep sending them mixed signals. Hmm... what can POSSIBLY go wrong here?
Why you should read it: Because it's considered to be "high" literature, but it's really a cool romance in which BIG MISUNDERSTANDINGS abound! And the character development is actually... good? HOLD THE PRESSES.
This book would suit you if: If you like romances in cool places.

Title: All Creatures Big and Small - Or really anything by him... he's that awesome.
Author: James Herriot
Genre: Animal stories.
What's it about? James Herriot's experiences as a local veterinarian in rural England.
Why you should read it: It is so, so good. If you love animals and don't mind reading about the medical aspects regarding animals, this is fantastic. I laughed, I cried, I bought more of his books. Fantastic writing that makes you feel like you're on the countryside!
This book would suit you if: Animal lovers.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Reviews: 4
Tue May 13, 2014 11:54 pm
View Likes
spottedkit says...

Title: The Emerald Atlas
Author: John Stephens
Genre: Fantasy
What's it about? It's about a family of three kids whom have been orphaned because of the parent's choice. They embark on an adventure through what two of them thought didn't exist.
Why you should read it: It's one of my favourite books. It involves magic, and kids "saving the world"- their world, at the very least. The three main characters have very different personalities, which makes the conflicts between them interesting.
This book would suit you if: If you like magic, magicians, witches, dwarves, making fun of elves, and saving the world, you should like this book.

Title: The Mysterious Benedict Society
Author: Trenton Lee Stewart
Genre:Fantasy
What's it about? It's about 4 kids who pass a test in 4 different ways: brains, quick thinking, stubbornness, and common sense. They are entered into a special school where they must find out how to stop evil that is being spread through an inanimate object to the whole world.
Why you should read it: It's fun to read! It's realistic with their personalities, and after a few chapters you may discover a few hidden surprises about these characters.
This book would suit you if: you like to read about saving the world, you are adventurous, you love to read, or you enjoy mystery.

I second PAll Creatures Big and Small!

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed May 14, 2014 12:10 am
View Likes
birk says...

I'll definately second House of Leaves, that's already on my list. And of course, Cat Steps by our lovely Rosey Unicorn. Oh, and Watership Down as I need to read it myself, and The Lord of the Flies because it's a classic that everyone needs to read.

Title: Flowers for Algernon
Author: Daniel Keyes
Genre: Science Fiction.
What's it about? Charlie Gordon, with an IQ of 68, is a floor sweeper and the butt of everyone's jokes. That is, until an experiment in the enhancement of human intelligence turns him into a genius. But when Algernon, the mouse who preceded him in this experiment, dies, Charlie has to face his possible damnation.
Why you should read it: Flowers for Algernon is a classic, and one of the finest of it's kind. Watching this man rise from the slums of human intelligence, only to realize that he will eventually return to his dim old self is an incredible journey. It's a truly haunting story.
This book would suit you if: You're into very moving, personal point of view stories. I'd consider it a book for most people, though maybe PG13? I think it's still taught in schools here and there.

Title: The Lovely Bones
Author: Alice Sebold
Genre: Fiction, drama.
What's it about? Following her death and violation, Susie Salmon watches from her personal heaven, as her family struggles with their loss and grief.
Why you should read it: The author wrote an amazing POV of heaven, and the way her new world interacts with the remnants of her old life is fantastic.
This book would suit you if: Despite being a beautiful book filled with wonder, it also has it's dark moments. Very dark moments. I'd recommend this to anyone 16+.

Title: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline.
Genre: Science Fiction.
What's it about? I love this book so much, it's probably in my top 3. So I'll go with the Amazon summary here:
Spoiler! :
In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.
But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Why you should read it: Ready Player One is an amazing read! I don't think I've ever been more sucked into a book. It has a great plot, with a future that seems like something that might one day happen. It's a very youth oriented book. I honestly can't praise it enough.
This book would suit you if: I'm going to be frank here: if you're a nerd, you are going to love this book! The author is arguably one of the biggest nerds on the planet right now, and he wrote this book for us. The plot revolves very much around as many pop culture references as you can count. And despite most of these references being made to the 80s, when I wasn't alive, I still love it. Whether you experienced them at the time or not matters very little.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed May 14, 2014 12:55 am
View Likes
Rook says...

How many of these am I allowed to second?
Because I also second The Mysterious Benedict Society, Flowers for Algernon, and most especially Ready Player One.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Wed May 14, 2014 1:10 am
Willard says...

Seconding Lovely Bones, The Fault In Our Stars, and Ready Player One

Title: Lullaby
Author: Chuck Palahniuk
Genre: Black Comedy Horror Satire
What's it about?
(Amazon Plot)
Spoiler! :
It’s a lullaby sung in Africa to give a painless death to the old or infirm. The lyrics of a culling song kill, whether spoken or even just thought. You can find one on page 27 os from Around the World, an anthology that is sitting on the shelves of libraries across the country, waiting to be picked up by unsuspecting readers.

Reporter Carl Streator discovers the song’s lethal nature while researching Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, and before he knows it, he’s reciting the poem to anyone who bothers him. As the body count rises, Streator glimpses the potential catastrophe if someone truly malicious finds out about the song. The only answer is to find and destroy every copy of the book in the country. Accompanied by a shady real-estate agent, her Wiccan assistant, and the assistant’s truly annoying ecoterrorist boyfriend, Streator begins a desperate cross-country quest to put the culling song to rest.

Why you should read it:Not your usual horror story, as it includes hilarious, dark narration. You don't want to laugh, but you have to as it goes on. It is cleverly written and interesting.
This book would suit you if: If you enjoy sarcastic narration. A warning is that it gets pretty dark at the end, where it becomes absurdly dark.

Title: High Fidelity
Author: Nick Hornby
Genre: Romantic Comedy-Drama
What's it about? Rob Fleming is a near 30 pop music junkie who owns a semi failing record store in London. After his girlfriend, Laura, breaks up with him, he contacts his five major exes to find out what he has done wrong so he can get back Laura.
Why you should read it: This book is sweet, funny, and sad. You'll eventually find that you will have a connection with Rob. It's heartwarming and overall a great book.
This book would suit you if: If you enjoy music overall, or you just want to read a great romantic comedy.

Title: The Good Luck of Right Now
Author:Matthew Quick (Author of Silver Linings Playbook)
Genre: Comedy-Drama
What's it about? Bartholomew Neil has lived with his mother for 38 years. When she gets sick and dies, he is left on his own. His guidance counselor Wendy says that he needs grow wings and fly out of his nest. While cleaning out his mother's drawers, he finds a "Free Tibet" letter from Richard Gere. He makes the connection to when his mom called him "Richard" in her final days.
Bart goes onto a mission to find out what to do in the future. With a guy named Max who is a swearing cat-a-holic, his sister who was "abducted by aliens", and an alcoholic pastor, he finds out more about life.
Why you should read it: If you have a heart, you will love this. A coming of age tale where you least expect it. With hilarious writing and sad moments, The Good Luck of Right Now is a book to read.
This book would suit you if: If you have a heart.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed May 14, 2014 3:52 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

The Fault in Our Stars

Saccharine and pretentious both; can't imagine a worse combination. Avoid if you have two brain cells to rub together.

Lord Of the Flies

Well, I mean, man, it's a good depiction of how savage little kids are, but not exactly a reliable mirror of humanity. It isn't PC to call fat people "piggy" anymore.

Dracula

Dry. No vampire sex or necrophilia or anything to excite the fancy. No one wants to read Victorian travel plans.

The Island of Dr. Moreau

Vivisection makes me blush and smile coquettishly. Seconded.

Pride and Prejudice

Dreadful. I haven't read prose this sleep-inducing since Cormac McCarthy. Only read if you're considering suicide and can't summon the gumption. Even death is easy compared to reading Austen.

Flowers for Algernon

Pretty good, though I wouldn't recommend for r*****s. No need to get their hopes up. Seconded.

I would like to add to the list this TV show I'm watching called Game of Thrones. Great for the summer, and it's not a book so you don't even have to read it.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed May 14, 2014 4:44 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

@Prokaryote, that TV show is based off the novels by George R.R. Martin. The series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire." ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed May 14, 2014 6:07 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Title: Circle of Magic, Sandry's Book

Seconded. I loved these books in my teens.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed May 14, 2014 7:05 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

Snoink wrote:@Prokaryote, that TV show is based off the novels by George R.R. Martin. The series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire." ;)

Actually, no; they are unrelated. Remember, the TV show I'm talking about is called Game of Thrones, not A Song of Ice and Fire. I've read those books and not once did they mention Sean Bean.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed May 14, 2014 7:47 am
Gardevite says...

Prokaryote wrote:

Dracula

Dry. No vampire sex or necrophilia or anything to excite the fancy. No one wants to read Victorian travel plans.

I enjoyed the Victorian travel guide.

Game of thrones is based off a book series. I've only read the books, my friend has only seen the series and we're able to have discussions on characters and story arcs. (Although I keep spoiling things for her >.< the series is weird on timing.) But, the series is its own. It changes certain events and characters. But they are very much related.
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed May 14, 2014 7:55 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

First of all, Pork is alive???

Secondly, seconding an all time fave, Pride & Prejudice.

Thirdly, I'll make an official looking list thing tonight when I have time/a screen larger than four inches.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Wed May 14, 2014 12:12 pm
Hannah says...

Hehe, it's really fun when people don't know Prok!

I look forward to seeing this list and whether I can get any of the books here!
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Wed May 14, 2014 12:26 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

Shadow and BOne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed May 14, 2014 1:05 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

I'll be back with my list!
(it may be long... I have an extensive library between my shelves and my kindle >.>)
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed May 14, 2014 3:27 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Right, below is the first edition of the list, which will be updated as we go on!

NB- Stella is a big fat loser who *may* have missed your post so if you think I'm ignoring you will you please just tell me so I can amend things! :)

Confirmed Books

Spoiler! :
Classic
Watership Down by Richard Adams - Demeter
Lord of the Flies by William Goldman - HighTop

Fantasy
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - Sachiko
Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce - Rosey Unicorn
Cat Steps by Rosey Unicorn - AriaAdams

Science Fiction
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - Birkhoff

Other
The Shadow of the Wind Carlos Ruis Zafon - Sachiko
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - Lumi

And below is a summary of books of suggested books!

Spoiler! :
1 vote

Classic
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy -Stella Thomas
Othello by William Shakespeare - Demeter
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen - Snoink

Young Adult
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - Stella Thomas

Fantasy
Deathless by Catherynne M Valente - Sachiko
Immortals Quartet by Tamora Pierce - Rosey Unicorn
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - fortis
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart - spottedkit1999

General
City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende - AriaAdams
All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot - Snoink
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - Birkhoff

Science Fiction
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - Birkhoff

Suggestions

Classic
Dracula by Bram Stoker - HighTop

Young Adult
If I Stay by Gayle Foreman - Iggy
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - Iggy

Fantasy
The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie - AriaAdams
Thief of Always by Clive Baker - AriaAdams
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling - lostthought
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - Snoink
The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens - spottedkit1999

Superhero
Vicious VE Schwab - Sachiko

General
I Am Apache by Tanya Landman - Rosey Unicorn
The Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella - Demeter
Map of Time by Félix J Palma - AriaAdams
Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk - Strange
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby - Strange
The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick - Strange

Poetry
A Guide to Folktales in Fragile Dialects by Catherynne M Valente - Lumi
The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan - Lumi

Science Fiction
The Island of Dr Moreau by HG Wells - GoldFlame
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

You'd better wise up, Pony... you get tough like me and you don't get hurt. You look out for yourself and nothing can touch you, man.
— Dallas Winston, The Outsiders