29%

Total votes : 107

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:12 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Thank you for the explanation Spotswood. @dragonlily, as another person with bipolar disorder, I want you to understand that having a genetic chemical imbalance does not make someone a hateful or bad person. I'm not surprised you would think that though, given the portrayal of MI in the media. Unlike Spotswood, I am convinced it is an illness, but one that can be treated and controlled so it doesn't ruin your life.

Spoiler! :
Also, @Spotswood, I would caution you to be careful when tying BP to all the awesome stuff like intelligence and creativity. There is a correlation, but correlation does not imply causation. Personally my mania (I'm more of a "manic" than a "manic depressive" though I actually prefer the more modern "bipolar" term) is bad for being creative. Brain on hyperdrive=lots of ideas but inability to write coherent thoughts. Just my two cents.

Anyway, Elsa totally is bipolar. See the Honest Trailer which also calls her manic-depressive. Also the "Let It Go" part is totally manic: euphoria, superpowers (or thinking you have them), complete obliviousness to the world around them (because what's in your head is way cooler anyway).

Okay to keep roughly on topic, Elsa is hot (though like I said I voted for Jasmine). It does seem like the trend for princesses (per the article) was from more realistic (Snow White), then they generally got skinnier and their eyes got bigger. So we must think that look is hot even when it is physically impossible.

And now to be an outlier, here's a Cinderella gif. :P

Spoiler! :
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:34 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I still think Esmeralda's pretty smokin'.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
sorry not sorry
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

Esmeralda is extremely hot, especially when she was burning at that stake.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:54 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

@StellaThomas

"Hellfire" is one of my favorite Disney songs (the scene is just so freaking infernal)!

@lostthought

Esmeralda is extremely hot, especially when she was burning at that stake.

Hey now, she was almost burned. :P

However, you know who was burned at the stake? Joan.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:59 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

Ahh! Look at what I just found! *dies*

Spoiler! :

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:03 am
Spotswood says...

niteowl wrote:Thank you for the explanation Spotswood. @dragonlily, as another person with bipolar disorder, I want you to understand that having a genetic chemical imbalance does not make someone a hateful or bad person. I'm not surprised you would think that though, given the portrayal of MI in the media. Unlike Spotswood, I am convinced it is an illness, but one that can be treated and controlled so it doesn't ruin your life.
Spoiler! :

Yeah. I am more of the mania type too. It was fub and it sparked my creativity, but the stuff i am on now makes me even. I've been depressed, but I have more highs than lows.

And it never took away my ability to write coherently. It actually improved it some, I think. But that's just me and everybody has difference experiences.
But thanks for backing me up too.

But this thread is not about mental illness, but rather how incredibly sexy Els...I mean our mutual love for all Disney princesses...
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:47 am
KaiTheGreater says...

@Spotswood and @niteowl I didn't mean to say that bipolarism was what made her seem hateful. The two were meant to be totally unrelated. The hateful thing was a different thought. I suppose I should have clarified that. I was just trying to write a general message that included everybody's (or mostly everybody's) opinions, and I was kind of rushing. Sorry about that.
Formerly DragonLily and RoseAndThorn

29 Reviews

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:42 pm
Spotswood says...

No harm done, @dragonlily. But we should go back on topic.

So, basically my friend asked me this question: is it wrong to sexualize an animated character? He says that he does, but that he cannot help but feel guilty...
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Apology accepted, DragonLily.

As for Spotswood's question, I'd say it depends. It does seem like some modern animated characters (e.g. Jasmine, Elsa) are already rather sexualized for a cartoon made for kids, so it doesn't seem like a huge leap to be attracted to them. But it's important to remember that they're fantasy figures and it is physically impossible for real women (even very attractive/slim women) to look exactly like them.

If there's real-world consequences for this attraction (e.g. rejecting a girl only because she doesn't look like some character, being irrationally angry at women for not looking like that, etc.), then perhaps the friend should explore those issues farther. But if it's more of a fantasy and doesn't affect his real relationships, then no harm, no foul.

So since I've been entirely too serious for this thread, here's some more princess gifs
Spoiler! :

Not technically a princess movie but it made me LOL
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 pm
View Likes
Hadj says...

Lucrezia wrote:...I think Jasmine's hot because she walks around in I Dream of Jeanie attire and, come on...

I seem to recall you're wall post about past century pop-culture?
Love that show :P

@Lucrezia (tag)

That aside, I'm going with Rapunzel, I mean.. that hair.

@Spotswood
I don't think being attracted to a disney character is any different than being obsessed with Justin Beiber or any celebrity
Last edited by Hadj on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lullabies and storybooks
And poems and other lies
Will make you happy and make you dream
But seldom make you wise

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:31 pm
deleted30 says...

[deleted]
Last edited by deleted30 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

29 Reviews

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 pm
Spotswood says...

Hadj wrote:I don't think being attracted to a disney character is any different than being obsessed with Justin Beiber or any celebrity

Isn't that a bad thing :P
-R.U.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Telll me shooting laser guns is not attractive.
Spoiler! :
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

29 Reviews

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:12 pm
Spotswood says...

She has bipolar too.
-R.U.

29 Reviews

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 pm
Spotswood says...

What is everyone's least favourite princess?

Personally for me it would have to be Snow White. She just seems rather creepy to me, plus she is a very flat character...
-R.U.

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green