z

Young Writers Society

Hussein Sentenced to Death

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:06 pm
Galatea says...

We're not discussing appeasement. I'm not even sure how that word got brought up. No one is trying to appease Sadaam. No one denies that he commited some pretty atrocious crimes. But I'm with bob and Khay on this one. No human being 'deserves' death at the hand of his fellows. Especially given the backwards thinking of it all; "He killed a bunch of people so lets kill him back to show the world that we don't agree with the killing he did." Dubbleyou tee eff, mate?

I also agree with what Lama said a page or so back, that the only one who can really lay judgement is Khayriyyah. Being an Iraqi immigrant, she's really the only one who was affected by Sadaam's reign.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:07 am
sabradan says...

Yeah, because Saddam lobbing SCUDs at Kuwait, Iran and Israel didn't affect anyone else, Gal. Tell that to the time my freinds and I spent in sealed safe rooms, thinking it that they contained BIOCHEM weapons.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:22 am
backgroundbob says...

Yeah, well, by that logic all my Christian friends in Beirut should have a say in the war crimes trial of the Israeli government, considering they've been bombed more times then they care to say. So we won't use that logic.

It all comes down to the fact that a policy of revenge has never served the world well, it's only caused more problems. People just need to learn to get over themselves and their own pathetic problems and let an impartial and societal change-oriented justice system get on with things. Think about the genocides in Rwanda: would there be anyone left in the country if they let their vengeful feelings get to them? Not really; look at Kosovo, how revenge has turned into a blood fued that's killed thousands; look at Sri Lanka, the same problem. If people actually just stopped moaning and forgave their opponents, we could actually have some semblance of peace talks between people. But instead we go on and on thinking that if we just kill one more "bad guy" the world will all be OK. And that's the biggest problem I have with conflicts like Israel/Palestine, Sri Lanka, Pakistan/India - the only reason they're still going is because neither side is humane and human enough to pull back and say "OK, we forgive you, we need to start again. Can we talk about this rationally?" They're all just like little children, full of irrational spite.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:37 pm
Pushca says...

"you've killed and torture people i know, my friends, and my family, but that's ok. i forgive you. let's be friends."

if people were like that, the conflicts you mentioned wouldn't be a problem. revenge is human, an instinct.

some people deserve to die, but i still don't see much point in killing them as opposed to locking the up and letting them rot. we all knew that saddam was going to die, and it's not going to affect me emotionally or anything, but really, he's not a threat to anyone. his death will do nothing for iraq. why bother?
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:12 pm
sabradan says...

Revenge is irresponsible, but vengeance is justice. Or summat like that, I forget the real quote. Oh, and Bob, youre facts are incorrect about Israel/Lebanon, but I forgive you. You're English, and like all English still sore about loosing us to your Empire, so I forgive you.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:21 am
backgroundbob says...

Revenge is irresponsible, but vengeance is justice. Or summat like that, I forget the real quote.

Perhaps, “Nothing is more costly, nothing is more sterile, than vengeance” from Winston Churchill? Or “The rarer action is/In virtue than in vengeance.” by Shakespeare? Maybe Corneille's “Just vengeance does not call for punishment.” says it best.

Oh, and Bob, youre facts are incorrect about Israel/Lebanon, but I forgive you.
Yeah.. we've just sent back our Christian friends to Beirut to keep teaching there; probably the only objective voice I've heard so far. So, no, they're correct and then some - I don't think anyone as closely allied to one side could really claim to be objective, so you'll have to forgive me for believing them. Considering they're born in South America and have lived in both Israel and now Palestine, I'd say they're probably as good as it gets.

You're English, and like all English still sore about loosing us to your Empire, so I forgive you.
Yeah... there wasn't a whole lot of point to that comment, was there?
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:22 am
Bjorn says...

Feh. They wait so long to sentence Milosevic, and here the convict and sentence Hussein within two and a half years. And then he was convicted for one crime only, Milosevic had plenty going for him-and it was all done ten to fifteen years after Hussein's 'acts'. *tut tut*
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:44 pm
Pushca says...

Saddam Hussein executed, ending era in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Saddam Hussein struggled briefly after American military guards handed him over to Iraqi executioners before dawn Saturday. But as his final moments approached and masked executioners slipped a black cloth and noose around his neck, he grew calm.

In a final moment of defiance, he refused a hood to cover his eyes.

Hours after Saddam faced the same fate he was accused of inflicting on countless thousands during a quarter-century of ruthless power, Iraqi state television showed grainy video of what it said was his body, the head uncovered and the neck twisted at a sharp angle.

Witnesses to the execution told NBC News’ Richard Engel that they were cheering around the body of Saddam after the hanging — three years after the deposed president was hauled from a hole in the ground by pursuing U.S. forces.

Asked if Saddam were dead, the official in the Iraqi prime minister’s office said, “Yes, the body of Saddam Hussein is in front of me.” The hanging reportedly occurred at 6:05 a.m. local time (10:05 p.m. ET).

NBC could hear cheers and celebrations in the background while talking to an official in the prime minister’s office.

“This son of a bitch is lying under my feet. … I can’t talk now because of all the cheers!” a witness said.

Saddam’s body will be buried in Tikrit, his family’s hometown, a defense lawyer said. The burial could be as soon as Sunday.

full story here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16389128/
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

'They are afraid of nothing,' I grumbled, watching their approach through the window. 'Together, they would brave Satan and all his legions.'
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights