z

Young Writers Society

Some Important Changes Coming...

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:34 pm
Nate says...

Bobo wrote:So you can get points everywhere now? That definitely makes it a lot easier to get the points needed.

If everyone posts just as they normally do, no one should notice any difference. After all, just one post in the Welcome forum can earn you enough points to make five posts in The Lounge. Same with posting in a usergroup, and most usergroups now have some sort of game topic or randomness topic.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:24 pm
Galatea says...

If it makes no difference, what's the point?

I'm all for this, by the by, just being the devil's advocate here.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:45 pm
Nate says...

Galatea wrote:If it makes no difference, what's the point?

I'm all for this, by the by, just being the devil's advocate here.

Those arguments have already been summarized before. You have access to this thread and the moderators thread.

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:22 pm
Teeeeo. says...

I think it's a great idea. People make many random posts with no purpose but to increase post count, even if the topic has already been made.
It's not too hard to earn the points to post, just crit! But crit right...

There should NOT be a pointcost for the chatroom, it's MADE for people who wanna be random, help people/be help etc... and someone might throw all of their points away there if they need help or need to say something!

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:20 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

*MisterWaffles stabilizes.*

Okay. I'm alright now. :P

EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT I SPENT POINTS ON THIS USELESS POST! OMGOMGOMG *EXPLODE*

Oh...sorry. Anyway, I'm fine with this now. I just realized that I had 1100 points. And I welcome people quite often. So yeah.

But just for the heck of it...

OMGOMGEXPLODE!~

I failed that Systematic Theology test, by the way. Can anyone give the reference for this quote? "And the Spirit said to Phillip, go to that chariot and stay near it" Yeah, me neither. Who'da thought it was Acts 8:29? OF COURSE I THINK OF IT NOW.

Sorry for the spam. I'm getting my ten points worth of this post. :wink: Ok...I'll stop. Just poking fun. :D

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:46 am
Matt Bellamy says...

Hows about enabling us to see points in the randomness and lounge forums then, so we can see how many points we have left at a glance? or at least a section in the new my yws page thing that shows us our points total. That page, by the way, sounds great.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

425 Reviews

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:11 am
Nate says...

Matt Bellamy wrote:Hows about enabling us to see points in the randomness and lounge forums then, so we can see how many points we have left at a glance? or at least a section in the new my yws page thing that shows us our points total. That page, by the way, sounds great.

Good idea! Will work that out sometime tonight.

Okay everyone, everything with regard to paying to post is done. There's a few minor kinks I want to work out (all aesthetic), but it's in there and working. I made almost all other forums pointable (word?) in response to criticism, so I'll have to see how that compromise works out.

In about two weeks I'll set up a thread for arguments in favor of and against this change. After a month, I'll make the final decision as to whether or not to keep up with this. Unfortunately, for the moment all arguments are merely theoretical. Before there's any debate about it, I want some practical experience with it. If after a month, the pay-to-post policy is not overall beneficial, it'll be dumped. Heck, I've dumped things that cost me a lot of time and money in the past (dynamic avatars...).

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:16 am
Elelel says...

Had to post, even if there shall soon be somewhere else to argue and comment (there isn't yet to my knowledge).

There's one problem I have about the fifteen points cost. It's not really even. I would rather have twenty than fifteen. I would prefer ten, if that's possible. I don't know... I have this thing about zeroes.

Well then, I say that when the time comes to reflect upon this venture, we change it so you pay 17 or 11 points.

I'd also like to say that in these taxed forums at least, no one should get annoyed at us for going too random. We'd be paying to waste our own time! We'd practically be deserving of our silliness! And mods editing posts ... just think of the lawsuits! Because we will have paid for the post, you can't change it without our permission. It's practically stealing. *giggles evilly* I think I'm going to set up my own law firm. I might even be able to earn points with it. This would turn into money. And as you've already noticed there will be protests about the taxes, riots maybe even ... oh dearie dearie me.

And nobody dare dissmiss this as silliness! It's worth EXACTLY the same amount as any other posts here!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:34 pm
Dynamo says...

If thats what it takes to make things better, who are we to disagree?
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:45 pm
Nate says...

One disagrees when they think it will not make things better.

Update on the other item (My YWS)...

I have My YWS somewhat running, so everyone can at least get a taste of it at:
forum/MyYWS.php

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:43 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

I have My YWS somewhat running, so everyone can at least get a taste of it at:
forum/MyYWS.php

Hey, that's pretty nifty. :P

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:59 pm
Sponson Light says...

Guys, you say it like its the end of the world.
If you want to have fun chatting get Trillian, the messenger that includes AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC. FREE.

Also posting a picture with img brackets and a url link gets me like 30 points.
I cant image how much an actual poem will get you if there wasnt a 50 limit.

And I agree its a writing site and people should be expected to write, start tariffing the art forums.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:50 pm
Nate says...

If you're using the YWS standard templates, then you can now access "My YWS" from where the "Profile" link used to be. Everything on it is old stuff, but I also added a favorites link where you can manage the topics you are watching. I'm also looking into adding a friends list.

However, the change avatar thing is not working, which is why I have not added My YWS yet to the YWS dark templates. Hopefully I'll have it fixed by tonight.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:49 pm
Myth says...

How do you add topics you are watching?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:24 pm
zelithon says...

Good idea!!!!!! But if someone wants to deleat there post will they get there pionts back?
my yws suonds good too.

D'oh I just spent some pionts! :roll:
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

Carpe Diem
— Catullus