z

Young Writers Society

So, you want to be an instructor/greeter?

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 am
Meep(: says...

*raises hand*
I want to be a Greeter.

....Oh wait, I already am. To the Welcome Forum, awaaaaay!!! :D

~Will your application be denied on the basis that there are too many people applying/employed in that position? (assuming that there is an imbalance)
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:23 pm
Snoink says...

Will your application be denied on the basis that there are too many people applying/employed in that position? (assuming that there is an imbalance)

No. As it is, about 0.5% (read: five out of a thousand) of the members here are instructors and about 0.5% of the members here are greeters. That means that only 1.0% of the members are instructors or greeters. That's not a lot. So if you hear any rumors about "Oh, there are too many people, so that's why they're not accepting me!" they're wrong. :P

We look at all the applications individually. If we can't get to an application because there are a lot of applications there and we only have a certain amount of time, then we leave it for somebody else to judge.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:28 pm
anti-pop says...

I'm so sorry, Snoink! That sounds extremely frustrating.
I really hope I didn't sound that annoying when I applied a while back. :(

~anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:01 pm
Snoink says...

anti-pop wrote:I'm so sorry, Snoink! That sounds extremely frustrating.
I really hope I didn't sound that annoying when I applied a while back. :(

~anti-pop

Hehe! I don't remember. I think I might have decided your particular case, but there are A LOT of members who apply, and once we approve or deny, we have no way of seeing the application again. It completely disappears. And then, unless you're completely obnoxious (which most members aren't) we forget what you said. It's one of those out of sight, out of mind sorts of things. That's another reason why, if you don't get it the first time, or the second time or whatever, you can totally apply again. Even if the same judge looks at your application, odds are that he'll forget that you applied in the first place. So really, it's like having another first chance.

Mind you, if we've had to report you in the mod forum for you not following the rules or harassing members, etc., then we will remember you, which is probably a bad thing, lol. But that's why following the rules is important! :D

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:29 pm
Rosendorn says...

I've heard that the purps can nominate members. Does this influence the choice? If so, how much?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:19 pm
lilymoore says...

I actually heard the same thing when I first joined. I remember it cause I almost immediately went on this huge reviewing splurge and after a while, I guess both Squalls and Nutty took notice and made mention that if I could keep it up, I could land myself some sort of nomination to be a purple. I really just thought it was pretty cool and for quite a while I spent a great deal of time trying to really make myself noticed. But I never really looked into it very far so I was sort of wondering the same thing. If purples can nominate people, does this have any effect on someones application to be an Instructor.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:05 pm
Meep(: says...

I'm not in the position to answer that question. It's Snoink's job,
But I'd like to point out something:
Lilymoore, if you're realy keen on becoming an Instructor (Good luck with that! :D), I think you'd have to be rather active. So far you've done 24 reviews, and Instructors tend to do much more. Look at all those sparkly stars on their profiles! :D
~Hope to see your name in Purple soon :)
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:41 am
lilymoore says...

Yeah, Meep, I know about that. I ran into a little trouble with my computer soon after joining and it wasn'tunil recently, like, a week ago that it was fixed. I ccomplished those 24 with about two weeks I think...if I recall correctly.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:48 am
JabberHut says...

I can already see Snoink pouncing in and correcting me, but here's my attempt at an answer:

Nominations are just that: nominations. That doesn't guarantee anything. It only makes you noticed. There are thousands of members on this site, so it's hard to keep track of each individual and their review records, especially with so many literary forums -- fiction, poetry, script, etc. Just because you're nominated doesn't mean you'll be a Purp for sure. You're just being watched--for a [very] short period of time. ^_^

Don't depend on a nomination though. Very few are ever nominated because Instructors are busy reviewing anyway. xD Don't dwell on this. ^^
I make my own policies.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:10 am
Snoink says...

Haha, Jabs is right. We do look at the people that the instructors notice, definitely. But more than likely, we're going to base our decision on the critiques that we read.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:27 pm
Firestarter says...

If your application gets denied, it's really not the end of the world.

Quoted for truth.

Since Snoink has gone, I've been dealing with a lot of applications. Just thought I'd weigh in on this topic and agree with pretty much everything she said.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:22 am
~Excalibur~ says...

Does YWS even have a forum for Instructor based writing classes? Its the first time I've heard about it, but a search failed me. Sometimes I think that people generally of 13-15 should be pointed in certain directions for their writings and review comments. Though even more experienced writers could attend classes for their interests.

I am quite partial to military affairs and political matters. Given such a Classroom forum I'd be happy to apply some of what I know to willing writers.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 am
Nutty says...

I think that people generally of 13-15 should be pointed in certain directions for their writings and review comments. Though even more experienced writers could attend classes for their interests.

Some of our instructors are in that bracket ;)
The 'resources' forum (icon up top) is where classes are posted, Excalibur, under 'Knowledge base'.
I know this as I give out the link to the apostrophe lesson quite a lot.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:07 am
~Excalibur~ says...

Good points, I see Firestarter's 'Winning the Battle' is here, from which Hippie used for his writing. The only problem I see with these essays is that they are broad and general items. I was searching for something more user intensive and present...

Might as well go make the a group for it, since my idea is pretty different then the norm. I was thinking more of a lecture topic which people participate and write fragments, discuss openly and try to improve as a whole. Could even draw up a syllabus. I hope its not to radical and not to close to be shot down.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:35 am
Firestarter says...

Excalibur, that sounds like a great idea. As for the expectation of delivering classes, I think that was an earlier idea for Instructors. Mostly they are expected to deliver Writing Tips articles on all things about writing, and be very active in the Writing Tips forum. (Let this be a reminder to all you Purples!)
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea