z

Young Writers Society

Favorite Books

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:52 am
Rei says...

Oh yeah, totally awsome. Most adults are missing something great by having her books in the youth section. I've also read Spinners and her most recent book, Bound. Yet I can't seem to find any fairy tale books with a Chinese version of Cinderella. Though I did see a Korean version, which is probably pretty close to the Chinese, being very close geographically.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:57 am
Areida says...

I don't know who wrote it...Adelaide something..but it's called Chinese Cinderella. It's sort of an autobiography, and it is absolutely beautiful. It makes me cry every time I read it. I'll have to find the author's name for you.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

685 Reviews

Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:02 am
Rei says...

I don't know the author's name, but I think I know the one you're talking about. They have a book with that title at my library.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:17 am
DarkerSarah says...

I read a retelling of Beauty and the Beast called Beauty. It was very good. Very sad, but very good. It wasn't by the author you guys are talking about though.
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:09 am
Micah says...

areida07 wrote:I don't know who wrote it...Adelaide something..but it's called Chinese Cinderella. It's sort of an autobiography, and it is absolutely beautiful. It makes me cry every time I read it. I'll have to find the author's name for you.

I know the one you mean, and i've read it aswell. Very moving.
The author is Adeline Yen Mah. I think that's how you spell it... :wink:
The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think. No book in the world equals the Bible for that.
Harper Lee
My sites:
http://www.wyattmuseum.com/
http://www.cafechrist.com/

685 Reviews

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:37 pm
Rei says...

Yeah, that's right. I've got a copy with me right now. I love that it shows you how to write the Chinese characters for the numbers.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:41 pm
Micah says...

There's actually a sequal to Chinese Cinderella, but I didn't read it. It's more of a fantasy though. :)
The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think. No book in the world equals the Bible for that.
Harper Lee
My sites:
http://www.wyattmuseum.com/
http://www.cafechrist.com/

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:12 am
Elelel says...

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE!!!

That's my favourite book, just is case the yelling didn't make it obvious, and me look stupid enough.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:04 pm
hawk says...

I read Chinese Cinderella a few years ago, brilliantly violent book. The other book was Falling Leaves (the same story), I think it was a more brutal, truthful version of a book which was intended for young adults. I don't remember which one I read, actually (thats terrible!), but I think if you can handle it, read Falling Leaves, it was the original, and somewhat more truthful.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:22 pm
Wandwaver says...

I love a ton of books, but don't really have many favs. I could read them all over and over again. Some top picks are

Eragon, by Chris Paolini
The Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis
The Harry Potter Series, by JK Rowling
Seven Dials Mystery, by Agatha Christie
How Firm a Foundation?, by Marcus Grodi.

and yes, I am 18 and still enjoy Goosebumps and other kiddie series. I havne't outgrown them; I'm merely shelving them till I have kiddies of my own.
I am Sash Greenlea, Padawan Learner

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:24 pm
Wandwaver says...

oh, and I agree with same about Bloody Jack by LA Meyer. I'll probably end up reading that one a couple times before it has to go back to the library. And since I work at said library, I probably get one or twice more.

Whatever.
I am Sash Greenlea, Padawan Learner

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:28 pm
Elizabeth says...

Favourite books....

why did I spell Favorite with a u?
Anywya, my favorite books are

The Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler)
The Angels Trilogy (Lurlene McDaniel)
The Sitter (R.L. Stine)
It was terrorizing and I read it in the nighttime, if I read it during the day i got freaked out... it's weird....
that's pretty much all I can think of now.... oh an

When will Jesus bring the porkchops by George Carlin

damn hilarious.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:46 pm
Meshugenah says...

Éloeré wrote:PRIDE AND PREJUDICE!!!

That's my favourite book, just is case the yelling didn't make it obvious, and me look stupid enough.

Good book, I agree.

Favourites? this could go on a bit..
What I've read of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (series) is really good..
Garth Nix's Abhorsen, Lirael, and Sabriel
Orsen Scott Card's Ender series
Sevenwater trilogy by Juliet Marillier (sp?)
Ella Enchanted
Bloomability- Sharon Creech
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
The Chosen by Chiam Potok
Diane Duane's YOung Wizard series
Digital Fortress, Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Perason (so funny)

that's all for now, I think
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Random avatar

Reviews: 40
Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:31 am
Kilty says...

Hmmmm. I see a lot of LOTR fans. I've read quite a bit of J.R.R. Tolkien's work. The Silmarillion is definetly his best book. I'm actually not a big fan anymore though. Read/watched too much LOTR, lol.

Dubliners, James Joyce. It is actually a collection of short stories. I think he wrote all of them before his most famous Ulysses.
To Kill a Mockingbird (Is it Harper Lee? I'm having a hard time remembering her name) I think this a book that everyone needs to read.
The Hatchet (I can't remember the name)
William Wallace: Braveheart (I can't remember either. I want to say James McKay, but I know that is wrong.) It's a biography, but if you want a good biography about William Wallace, this is it. It takes you from his birth to his death. I actually dunno if this is published in America.
Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, except for the 5th book. My favorite character dies.

685 Reviews

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:39 pm
Rei says...

There's no shame in liking children's literature. Heck, I still read the occassional picture book. My favourite is, apart from fairy tales that are printed on their own, is The Paperbag Princess. Which is essentially a modern, femenist fairy tale, but it is hilarious. She's arranged to be married to this dorkprince who gets kidnapped by a dragon who burns her clothes off and all she can find to wear is a paper bag. Then she has to go rescue the prince and decides won't marry him anyway.

Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.
— Jin, BTS