z

Young Writers Society

Your Writing Insecurities

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:53 pm
Blink says...

I'm constantly hitting my head wondering whether I'm pretentious, pulling out as bland a word as possible to avoid purple prose. And then I wonder whether the plot's any good. And then whether I'm any good. And then why I'm even writing this. And also...

*rambles into the distance*

While stuff might make sense in my head, I can never make it so that the reader understands it. And my story's are never long enough. And do I begin too many sentences with "and"?
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Lucinda says...

XD I'm worried my book won't be as good as another spectacular one in the same genre.
And also I'm always a bit frustrated if I have to remove big chunks.
Which is a bit silly of me, but yeah. :roll:
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:16 pm
Maddyc says...

I always think my novels don't make proper sense. And that the pace is too quick or too slow and I've planned it wrong.

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:12 am
Karsten says...

Readers often comment about "white room syndrome" and ask for more setting description.

I have problems with blocking - readers can't picture where each character is in relation to another.

I also worry about excessive emotional stuff, since I find myself hammering the same point over and over. Poor concussed reader. :(

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:21 pm
Insomnia says...

I have a few minor worries - that I under-describe things, that people don't know where things are - but I don't worry about this, because setting and description isn't anything crucial to my stories.

The characters are the crucial thing, and that's where I start to worry. I don't care if people like them or not. A minor worry is that people'll think that the characters don't have any depth. The big one, though, is that people will see too much of me in them. When I look back over some of the things I've written, I see a lot of me, especially if I was writing in a particular high or low. So, I worry that I've exposed too much of myself. It makes it pretty hard to hand over any writing of mine.

...*is pretentious*

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:19 pm
lilymoore says...

My biggest problem is that I have a lot of trouble developing my plots. Its just that I want my plots to be so spectacular and original. That's why I usually stick to short pieces with simple plots.

Another insecurity is that I don't always feel like my characters are as strong as they should be.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:55 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Well, after reading some of limyaael's rants (it was a staff pick), I'm worried that I will be the target of her ranting.

In other words, I write something horribly cliche or stupid.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Perhaps my biggest problem is physical description. I'm always afraid to describe what a character looks like for fear that it will seem info-dumpy. As a result, my writing appears rather sparse when it comes to certain scenes. Specifically anything that might seem like it's giving information that does not directly pertain to where I want to take the story at a given point.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
100xstupid says...

Mine's detail in the overall storyline, I am always terrified of putting in too much, or too little. I'm alright with description, but especially when it somes to certain scenarios and semi important charecters.
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"
-Socrates

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:23 am
Hawkie says...

I have a pretty sheltered home life, so I'm worried my stories won't be realistic/grounded enough.

Plotting in general is hard for me; I'm much better at developing character. =P

(Actually, I just torture them to no end and see what happens. They hate me).

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:54 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

I'm a perfectionist, so every little tiny detail has to be perfect before I can go on. It is very annoying because I almost never get any work done, but it makes me feel more secure.
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:37 am
asxz says...

I'm worried about cliche's... oh no! I hope no-one has said that before? Jokes. My plot has no real structure - I just write so that I can read over my words and be proud of my descriptions, basically. And my characters are always so underdeveloped that they would be thinner than a pievce of paper!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:46 pm
Dark Sploosh says...

Always worried that I'm not being descriptive enough. Reading "On Writing" and the various criticisms leveled at Twilight and the Inheritance Cycle really lead one to accidentally underwrite sometimes in an attempt to desperately avoid purple prose. Still trying to find the right balance.
“The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.”
– Marshal Ferdinand Foch

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
— Paul Brandt