8. Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
9. Wheel of Time by Rober Jordan
10. My book I'm creating...

-Z

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:30 am
Tessitore says...

Yeah, I can't remember what happened in "Gathering Blue" either. Hm... Jedie mind trick? maybe... *ponders*...

I know that it was good, but I also know it wasn't as good as "The Giver". You might just want to pick it up when you have no other book that you're pressed to read...

like I need to read "Incubus Dreams", the latest Anita Blake book... and don't have the money for it... *sob sob cry*
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:13 pm
penny says...

Gathering Blue was about the orphan named Kira and she was chosen to be the community's weaver. It was by Lois Lowry. And there's now another one called The Messenger. here's my top ten or 11 or 12:

1)The Giver by Lois Lowry
2)Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
3) Fever 1793...was that by Anderson?
4)Wideacre by Phillipa Gregory
5) I was a Teenage Fairy by Francesca Lia Block
6) All of Harry Potter (The order was my fav. though)
7)The Crimson Petal and the White my Michal Faber
8)Storyville by Lois Battle
9) Anything by Donna Jo Napoli (shes my fav. author. Sirena, Zel, Breath, For The love of Venice, Spinners and others...)
10) Girl With a Pearl Earring...mm...Tracy Chevalier?
11)Traveling Light by Katrina Kittle
12)Witch Child and Sorceress by Celia Rees

much love -penny
"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race and the human race is filled with passion." -Dead Poet's Society

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:46 pm
niteowl says...

Yes, Fever 1793 was written by Laurie Halse Anderson.

And I love Donna Jo Napoli too. I forgot to put her on my list, dammit. But she should be on there. I also liked Sorceress, didn't read Witch Child though. Someone's a little backwards!

There's another one! Dang, it wasn't on my x-mas list. Now I suppose I'll have to hunt it down. :P

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:53 pm
penny says...

If you like Napoli you should try Robin Mckinley...she's got some pretty good ones. Spindles End i think is the best...i really like the fairy tale retellings...but Napoli is just my favorite. Most other retellers stick with the princess stories, ya know? But I really liked Napolis Breath, have you read it?
Yeah, You should read Witch Child and then read Sorceress again...the book, I'm sure, will have a totally different meaning. :wink:

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:23 am
Crysi says...

ZZAP wrote:1. Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin
2. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings
3. Harry Potter by JK
4. Magician's Apprentice by ???
5. Artemis Fowl
6. Hobbit
7. LOTR
8. Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
9. Wheel of Time by Rober Jordan
10. My book I'm creating...

-Z

:roll: Here we go again, egotistical Z.. Lol jk. I almost put down my book on my list.. but I decided I'd give the spot to a FINISHED book lol.

And I like Artemis Fowl as well. I spent like a day cracking the code on the first one.. it was really fun lol.
Love and Light

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:26 am
iced.cappuchino says...

Only ten? Such a difficult question. ^^;

Not in order, because that's just impossible. ;)

1. Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce

2. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

3. The Princess Bride by William Goldman

4. The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice (If I were to pick only one of her books. But I loved loved loved loved Pandora, Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Armand too.)

5. Blood Work by Michael Connelly

6. The Messenger by Lois Lowry

7. Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (Part of the 'Tales of the Otori' trilogy. This one is the first one, and my favorite)

8. Stolen by Kelly Armstrong (The second book, but you can read it without reading the first. I read this one before the first one. I preferred this one. ^^)

9. Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

10. Animorphs series by K. A. Applegate (I will always have a speacial place for the Animorphs series, because it's so unique, and it is the only series I've ever followed so religiously.)

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:10 am
Meshugenah says...

wow, i think almost all my fav's have been mentioned, and several i have to read! I liked east of eden as well by steinbeck.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:24 pm
Tessitore says...

I loved "The Princess Bride"... both the movie and the book (one of the greater adaptations). And I used to really be into the Animorphs series... though I can't remember much of it these days. And I loved "The Vampire Armand". I think that and "The Vampire Lestat" are my favs by Anne Rice... because they tell peoples lives and I love hearing about lives. A little more then I'm into action.

I haven't read Napoli's BREATH... but I am a big fan of her work.

And if you like her (because this author got me into her) you'll like Lee Jordan. Her books "The Raging Quiet" and "Secret Sacrament"... sometimes I let the library have them back....
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:44 am
niteowl says...

Didn't read Breath either, but I can't go out and read it right away. too many books, too little time.

Never was into Animorphs, but I LOVED the Everworld series by the same author.

Another book I forgot: Vampire Kisses by I can't remember the author. Dang. It's about this goth girl named Raven who was basically raised on Dracula and Anne Rice. She lives in "Dullsville" and this family of alleged vampires moves into the "haunted" house. LOVED it!!!!!!!

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:31 am
Skye says...

Oh, am I a fool! I don't know how I could forget The Dalemark Quartet by Diana Wynne Jones! Come to think of it, I forgot all of Diana Wynne Jones's books. Howl's Moving Castle, Archers Goon, Castle in the Air, it's all good. I highly recommend her.

~Skye Demon
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:27 am
WinterGrimm says...

Howl's Moving Castle is being made into an animated film by Miyazaki Haoyo (director of Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away).

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/howl/
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:07 pm
Muse says...

not in order...

The shining, The stand (both by steven king)
Holes
L.O.T.R trilogy
His Dark Materials
Animal Farm

and of course, Where the Wild things are. Best book ever.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:21 am
dele24 says...

Muse wrote:not in order...

The shining, The stand (both by steven king)
Holes
L.O.T.R trilogy
His Dark Materials
Animal Farm

and of course, Where the Wild things are. Best book ever.

yeah i love Where the Wild things are too, its a great book, and also Horton the elephant - i said what i meat and i meant what i said an elephants faithful 100%
I also love Lotr, Dark Materials, Ruby in the smoke & Tiger in the well...those books by Phillup Pullman. Also anything by Tamora Pierce (loved Protector of the Small) and David Eddings?? (the person who The Diamond Throne.) Also books b John Marsden and John Grisham?? ( the guy who wrote the Client) I am useless at remembering names, I knw them, I just can't recall them right at this moment. Loved HP also But call me crazy tho, but the best book ever is the bible.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:39 am
Skye says...

Oooh, thanks for the link, WinterGrimm! That is very interesting indeed... Excuse me, I must now go and jump up and down with joy. :wink:

~Skye Demon
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom