z

Young Writers Society

Pope John Paul II

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:42 pm
Bobo says...

Well, saying that abortion is wrong when the government allows it isn't really overrulling. It's more that the government will let you do something, but it's still wrong by your religion. To override the government would be if the Pope said stealing was okay or something- something that would go against the law.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:33 pm
Emma says...

Oooh the pope helped to try to get world peace? Wow I like him a little. Jack, so you knew everything about him before you made that comment?

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:50 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

He doesn't need to know everything about him Emma, he's the leader of my ex church and I know nothing about him. I would say I agree with Jack and say that I didn't care but I actually feel really sad that he's dying because he seems like he's been such a great pope.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:06 pm
Firestarter says...

Jack, so you knew everything about him before you made that comment?

When did I say I knew everything? I just said I didn't care because I don't see how it affects me, personally. I didn't know specifically the things he had done, I just knew he had been a good Pope, but if there's a bad Pope next, it won't affect me. Catholicism does not have a great influence in Britain.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:32 pm
Zion says...

omg...I cant belive some people dont know who the Pope is (emma this does not goes to you only) Its quite sad even though Im othodox, the pope has declared more saints than the rest of the popes behind him. Btw, for those who dont know, e from Poland :D A new pope will be announced in 10-12 days. That will be very exciting. I hope they wont declare some power hungy zealot or somehting.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

49 Reviews

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:17 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

It all depends on when he dies, there's 9 days of mourning first then theres all the votes it could be at least 3 weeks I think. And there could be the teeniest tiniest of chances he'll pull through. They've been saying these are his last few hours since last night, I like to try and be positive I know it's unrealistic but don't flame me for it.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:22 pm
Areida says...

Personally, I am extremely frustrated with him that he didn't step down before this. I know he was a great pope, but when you're barely functioning and can't make public appearances because you're so old, don't you think you ought to give the job to someone younger and more able to handle it?

It disgusts me. What if the pope was suddenly needed because of an emergency but he's so old and sick that he can't do anything about it....it's so frustrating.

I suppose I shouldn't care, because I'm not Catholic, but whatever.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:05 pm
Emma says...

I am really sorry to say this, but all the people here who cared...

He has just passed away.

May he rest in peace.... :(

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:09 pm
Bobo says...

Well, what would the Pope have to do that requires health? That's what cardinals and such are for. The pope gives counsel and heads the church, he doesn't rush off and... what? (Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about the Pope either.)

In any case, today and tomorrow is a generally broadcast meeting for my church, and the Prophet's first words were consolation to the Catholic church for the Pope's inevitable passing away. I thought that was very kind of him. He commended the pope for working so hard as a spiritual leader to raise up his members and fight against the evils of today. After hearing that, it really makes me appreciate those other leaders like the Pope that are doing so much to furthere their beliefs and help their church's members be the best they can.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:25 pm
Ego says...

Sounding very un-Hunter like, I'd like to say that this is truly a great loss for the world--not just for Catholics. He was a great man, as great as there has been. If the next Pope is even half the man John-Paul II was, the world may be considered lucky.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:36 pm
Nate says...

The Pope just died.

Aerida, the Catholic church is not a government; there is never an emergency or a crisis. Indeed, the Church usually takes hundreds of years just to respond to something. Take the mass for instance; it took until the 1960's for the Church to allow masses said in the native tongue. It's not like the US or England where the head of state needs to be able to respond to thousands of different issues.

And anyways, the Pope's mind was very sharp right up to the end and he was giving out orders even as he lay on his death bed. Yes he was frail, but what does frail have to do with anything as long as you can still think clearly? It's not as if being Pope requires one to go hiking or skiing (both things the Pope did a lot before he was shot in the early '80s).

Regarding the next Pope, nothing will change much. I just finished reading an article in the Washington Post, and the writer had it very confused; he saw the Vatican as an organization rather than a religious institution. For instance, he asked whether or not the next Pope would allow birth control in the face of rising HIV/AIDS rates. Yet, the Vatican is not a government. If it allows birth control, then it will do so because it will view it as moral to do so. It's also been interesting listening to the media talk about how "conservative" the Pope was. Indeed, he was conservative by the standards of the average Joe, but by the standards of the Church, the Pope was incredibly liberal. But anyhow, nothing will change with the next Pope; change in the Catholic church takes a long time to happen and the Church has never responded to public pressure, which can be a good and a bad thing.

Arvandor->> Yeah, it really surprised me too that there are people who do not know who the Pope is. But, then again, a fifth grader asked me the other day what religion was; he didn't even know what a Christian is. Religious issues aside, he's going to have a lot of trouble in high-school when he has to start reading literature since an understanding of Christianity is necassary to understand many a book.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:40 pm
Areida says...

And anyways, the Pope's mind was very sharp right up to the end and he was giving out orders even as he lay on his death bed.

I stand corrected.

He was a great man, and I can only hope that the next pope will do as wonderful a job.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

49 Reviews

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:24 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Arieda the pope can't just "step down" once he's been elected that's it, they're stuck in that job until they're dead. It's sad I think but thats the way the church has run for centuries.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:49 pm
Zion says...

May he rest in peace...I hope he will find his way to Gods hands. He was a good man. Notgreat or perfect, or evil, but good. And good is good enough for me. Again, may he rest in peace... :'( :'(
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:56 pm
Incandescence says...

I don't really care if they elect some rampaging monster. I mean, really, what are they going to do? Lead an army of nuns?
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

If all pulled in one direction, the world would keel over.
— Yiddish proverb