z

Young Writers Society

Musical Moves (Phantom of the Opera)

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:06 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Well... all I can say, is that I would make a horrible critic... I like just sitting back and enjoying the STORY better... so, I absolutely loved Phantom. I'm sure it's better on stage, so I want to see that some time, but I still adored the movie.

As for other good musicals JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR is good... as is WICKED (but I don't think they've filmed that one yet... darn...)
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:14 am
dyingmoon says...

the phantom rocks my socks! i love ALW's music. i agree the music was no where near as good as that in the original casting (micheal crawfard and sarah brightman) but i really liked the visual in the film, custumes and sets were awesome. How i wish i could sing!!
PotO comes out on dvd on april 10th, but that's in australia. jesus christ superstar is damn catchy! has anyone here seen ALW play on stage? i wish i had, but there's still hope. we should start a campain to get all the ALW plays touring again. Has Cats finally finished? i wish PotO would come back round
Sometimes in order to find the light one must risk the darkness

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:45 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

Poto is playing down at the messanic temple in detroit.Its still touring in the US.Dyingmoon you're right about the music in the film. I personally think that they could've cast a better person for the phantom and Christine.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:08 am
dyingmoon says...

i'll just hop on my private jet and fly from australia to detroit. what season is it there? :P
the australian casting of PofO was really good (my aunties saw it they'd also seen it in London). here, when it played at the princess theatre they actually rigged up a chandelier (spelling?) without out the crowds knowledge and actually made it fly over the audience and land on the stage. how cool would that have been??? :D Is this production you speak of an official production, or just a school or local theatre company thing?
In the film, i think the phantom's voice needed to be more menacing and passinate. i was waiting the whole film for him to break out with emotion, but it never happened. christine wasn't too bad, a little more ommph (passion) needed. but i thought Raoul wasn't bad, he wasn't terrible. though i'm no expert :wink:
Sometimes in order to find the light one must risk the darkness

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu May 05, 2005 10:47 pm
Shriek says...

Duskglimmer wrote:As for other good musicals JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR is good... as is WICKED (but I don't think they've filmed that one yet... darn...)

Mmm, I love Wicked. And Children of Eden. Anything by Steven Schwartz, really.

I saw the Phantom at the movie theater (not onstage, sadly), but I wasn't too big of a fan. The actual music (not necessarily the singing) was wonderful--I don't deny that. And the costumes and set were gorgeous. Ohmygosh and that chandelier was just. Oh wow.

But there was something about the movie. I couldn't put my finger on it exactly. It seemed to be lacking an element that would classify it as one of those 'incredible' movies. The Phantom wasn't ugly enough to make me feel sorry for him. Or talented enough to make me feel jealous of him (or Christine, for that matter). He was just...bland (aside from that psychopath murdering thing).
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Fri May 06, 2005 2:33 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

I own the origanal cast recording with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman. They both have incredible voices and Michael Crwford makes an amazing phantom
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Mon May 09, 2005 11:38 pm
Mattie says...

Disney movies are musical aren't they? I like those...

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun May 15, 2005 2:25 pm
IGuessImAnUnderwaterThing says...

I'm such a whore for musicals. I saw "Phantom of the Opera" a few weeks ago and I adored it. Emmy Rossum is so beautiful, and I adore her voice. I can't believe she can actually sing like that. Is she actually an opera singer? She's really quite wonderful. The entire movie was so beautifully done; the costumes were breathtaking. Now I reaaally want to see it live.

"Moulin Rouge" was my favourite movie a couple of years ago, and I still love it. And "Chicago" was absolutely sensational.

What about some of the sort of "old school" musicals? "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", "Hair", and "Jesus Christ Superstar" are what automatically comes to mind. All of those are absolutely amazing, and such fun movies.

Has anyone besides me seen "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"? It's a musical, based on a stage play like most of them are, and it's about this transexual rock singer that grew up in Germany during the whole seperatist thing. It's really amazing. Michael Pitt is in it, and I can't remember the name of the guy who played Hedwig, but he was wonderful. Trust me. It's well worth the watch.

Oh, and of course there's "Little Shop of Horrors". I saw one of the newer versions of that awhile ago and it's so fun. Hahaha.

That's my musical rant.
You're just an empty cage girl if you kill the bird.

Reviews: 1
Mon May 30, 2005 12:48 am
Moonfang13 says...

Emmy Rossum isn't an opera singer- she's an actress. So far, the only other movie I know she's been in is Mystic River, and even then, she was only in flashbacks (she was Sean Penn's murdered daughter).

IT'S ONLY LIKE MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! GERARD BUTLER ROCKS (if he's not playing Dracula)!!!!!!!!! Michael Crawford is ugly. And I realize that is kind of the point, but, really, I thought that Gerard Butler's facial deformity was great. Not too gross to make it unbelieveable that Christine would fall in love with him, but bad enough that he would be ostracized from society.

TAKE THAT, EBERT!!!!

And Moulin Rouge was my other favorite for a long time, and is still number, like, five on my favorite movies list. There's another movie out, Baz Lurmann's La Boheme. It's a recording of the opera at the Sydney Opera House. It's what Moulin Rouge was based on. But it's in Italian, so be ready to read subtitles.

As far as Chicago... not really a fan of that one.

And has everyone completely forgotten about GREASE???? HELLO!!!!! GREASE LIGHTNING!!!!!!!!!

YES! :elephant:

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:54 pm
Shriek says...

Ahah, Grease was the first musical I ever saw.

QUESTION! Has anyone seen Hairspray? And if so, would you recommend it? It's coming to Cleveland on tour, and the tickets are pretty expensive. I've heard good things and bad, so I'd like to know for sure before I make an investment. Thanks!
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:22 am
Writersdomain says...

I loved phantom of the opera. The music was beautiful. Every aspect of it. It's so much fun to sing along with in the car. I especially like the song about notes.

"Far too many notes for my taste
And all of them about Christine
All we've heard since we've came
Is Mrs. Dayee's (sp?) name..."

I actually didn't like Grease that much... I didn't like how she changed just for him to like her. No girl should be forced to do that.

Hilarious.
I also liked Les Miserables. So sad, but so amazing. Almost made me cry.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:42 am
Duskglimmer says...

Writersdomain wrote:"Far too many notes for my taste
And all of them about Christine
All we've heard since we've came
Is Mrs. Dayee's (sp?) name..."

It's Daae :wink:

I really love the notes song too...

"Dear Andre what a charming gala
Christine in enjoyed a great sucess
We were hardly bereft when Carlotta left!
On that note
The chorus was enchanting
But the dancing was a lamentable mess!"
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:17 am
little x soldier says...

Emmy Rossum isn't an opera singer- she's an actress.

Well actually I thought she is both. She sang in another film when she was younger. (around 12) And she's a dancer.
I really loved the little piece of (amazon warriors) dance. It was so artistic...!!

And um Moonfang13, have you seen 'the day after tomorrow'? If you did, maybe you should see it once more and figure out who and who would or could be somewhere at beginning of the cast without checking on the cast list in the end.

Anyways... Emmy Rossum, rocks! :P
~xS;o:L;d:I;e:Rx~

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:21 am
Areida says...

Xia's right- she is both.

She's been training at the Met as an opera singer since she was seven. No wonder she can sing so friggin' well.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:38 pm
Tessitore says...

Shriek wrote:QUESTION! Has anyone seen Hairspray? And if so, would you recommend it? It's coming to Cleveland on tour, and the tickets are pretty expensive. I've heard good things and bad, so I'd like to know for sure before I make an investment. Thanks!

YES and YES. Please, please go see it. It cost me some $63 when it come to town here in Kansas City but it was well worth it. I'm still reeling over it. So... bloody... awesome...

I've also seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show (though I really don't enjoy it that much) and Little Shop of Horrors and Les Mis. I can't remember any others that I've seen but I'm always hounding for them since I love theater.

I really need to go out and rent Hairspray because I really want to see it again... even if it isn't on stage.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson