915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:18 am
Incandescence says...

First Cup: 2
Second Cup: 4
Third Cup: 3
Fourth Cup: 1
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:30 am
niteowl says...

Incandescence, I believe you skipped over one part. Don't worry, I did at first too, but maybe you should read it. Just ignore EBM's grammer:

Each mug have the same number of marbles and a statement about the number of marbles in it.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

915 Reviews

Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:19 am
Incandescence says...

There are 4 mugs placed upturned on the table.

| | | | | | | |
|_| |_| |_| |_|

Each mug have the same number of marbles and a statement about the number of marbles in it.

There's something grammatically unsound about this line. You end with "in it," but using proper english, you are saying the piece of paper saying how many marbles there are in each mug are actually in the mug. Did you mean there are the same number of marbles in each mug, or the sheets of paper are in the mugs? If it's the first of the two, then the answer to your question is zero, and the line saying one statement must be true is irrelevant to the point and used as a distractor. If it's the latter, then I don't know. Please clarify.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:42 pm
smilyfacebkwrm says...

I think it's what someone said already - there are 4 marbles under EACH mug because four is only mentioned once.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:02 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

Yep, 4 marbles under each mug.

Ignore grammar? Oh, I should really go over what I post, shouldn't I? WHAT?! It was 11 pm and I was tired...

For the next riddle:

You are given 5 bags. There are 10 beads in each of the bags. In four of the bags, the beads each weigh 10 kilograms. In the remaining bag, each bead weighs only 9 kilograms. All the bags and beads look identical. You must find out which bag has the lighter beads. The problem is that all the bags look identical and all the beads look identical. You can use a scale, but it has to be a single-tray scale, not a two-tray balance scale. Also, you may use the scale only once. How can you find out which bag has the lighter beads?
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

915 Reviews

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:41 am
Incandescence says...

EBM, please explain the other riddle. If it's because it's only mentioned once, then that's not a riddle, it's just...stupid.

Well, seeing as how there would be a significant difference in the weights of the 4 with 10 kg marbles and a 9kg marble, you wouldn't need a scale. You could just manually pick them up and judge which one is lighter.

418 Reviews

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:04 pm

Answer for the Bags and Beads riddle:

Label the bags from 1 to 5. Take 1 bead out of Bag 1, and label it 1. Take 2 beads out of Bag 2, and label them both with a 2. Take 3 beads out of Bag 3, and label each with a 3. Continue this pattern with Bags 4 and 5. Put these 15 beads on the tray of the scale.
If all 15 weighed 10 kilograms, the scale would register 150 kilograms. But since one or more of the beads weighs only 9 kilograms, the scale will register less than 150. Subtract the number on the scale from 150. Your answer will tell you the number of the bag with the lighter beads. (If the scale registers 148, it’s bag #2. If the scale registers 145, it’s bag #5.)

Hey, this job is hard okay?!

418 Reviews

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:06 pm

Riddle going on now:

How many letters are in the alphabet?

Think about it...just clear your mind and think about it...its not what you think....

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:32 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

the alphabet.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

418 Reviews

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:36 pm

Yep...that was fast...

A man walks up to you and says - "everything I say to you is a lie."
Is he telling you the truth or is he lying? [i]

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:47 am
Morran says...

Lying, lying, lying.

--

If he's lying, then the statement means "NOT everything I say to you is a lie." Which means he tells the truth on occasion, but at this moment in time, he is either telling the truth, or lying. Since he can be lying, this is correct.

If he's telling the truth, then the statement means "Everything I say to you is a lie." And so even that statement would have to be a lie. Meaning he cannot be telling the truth. And so he's lying.

Reviews: 2
Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:27 pm
Ayren says...

This Topic is awesome! :o Alright here's the riddle.......

A man is on Death Row, the executioner says to him, "I'll give you a choice of how you can die" he then says, "You will say a statement, if the statement is true I will give you a lethal injection if the statement is false you will be electrocuted." What did the man say to the executioner that confused him so much that he had to let him go?
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Thomas Jefferson

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:08 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

he said "you will electrocute me."
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

418 Reviews

Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:21 am

Umm...Ayren, just so you know, only I can post riddles. Nate established that fact so only 1 riddle is going on at one time, not like past times when there were 3 riddles posted at the same time.

So, if you want to post a riddle PM me and tell me what the riddle is and the answer, or just post one riddle (but make sure another isnt going on at the same time) and after 24 hours you have to give the answer, or else...

Reviews: 2
Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:49 pm
Ayren says...

Sorry EBM I skipped a couple of pages in this because I didn't want to read all 8. I'm sorry I thought the previous riddle was already over. By the way yeah you will electrocute me is the right answer.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Thomas Jefferson

Death is cheap, and so is life, but a reputation is not easily recovered.
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi