Young Writers Society

*wanders around room, decorating*

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:19 pm
Firestarter says...

Ace story, Dusky, congrats!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:13 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Danke, danke everyone...

Snoink wrote:When are you going to submit it to the publishers?

After I have edited it to my satisfaction and run it by my dad, the editing king of our house. I'm thinking that that will occur sometime in the summer as long as I stay focused. *crosses fingers*

(Any comments anyone has, I would love to hear, btw)
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:59 am
Sam says...

YAY DUSKY!

I could...if you send it to me...actually read it, as I promised so long ago. You've most certainly earned it. :wink:
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:18 am
Snoink says...

And I would SOOOO critique this properly. ;)

And now! An interview!

Why did you start writing "The Bearer?"

What effect did YWS have on you as far as completing this monster?

When are you going to publish it? :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

447 Reviews

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:32 pm
Duskglimmer says...

An interview?! wow... I feel famous already!!

Why did you start writing "The Bearer?"

Well... I actually started writing it several years ago when I was looking for something to work on after completeing a fairly long piece (it took me a little over a year to write, but it never went anywhere... I was too young to have the patience to edit it, and reading it now, the only thought in my head is "my gosh... I remember being so proud of this... what was I thinking?!"). I had just finished reading "Captain Blood" by Rafeal Sabatini, and was throughly fascinated with the idea of living on the sea. So I thought up the Sea Clans and then started piecing a plot together. I started writing almost immediately, and got almost 13,000 words before I lost interest.

I went back during July of last year, looking for something to write because it had been a while since I'd worked on anything and ran across the old chapters and things and some of the old plans. I could see alot of why I'd lost interest in it... L'ira (whose name was Camina at the time) was too perfect, she didn't relate enough the other people on her ship, she spent too much time with her Father and most of the story itself was just a little too cliche.

But I still liked the idea of the Sea Clans so I went back through and started reworking things, adding characters, adding new plot twists. By the beginning of June, I had a pretty complete outline and started writing, completely working from scratch. I didn't even allow myself to use the old names (thank goodness... at the time it was just so I wouldn't be held back by the characters that I had assigned to those particular names and could be free to make whatever changes were necessary, but now that I go back... half the names were terrible... and the other half were just barely satisfactory).

Before I knew it, I was head over heels in love with my story and was working on it every spare moment of the day (or night for that matter).

What effect did YWS have on you as far as completing this monster?

Monster... lol... that's a good word for it. After all, it definately ate up quite a bit of my time.

The YWS had quite a bit of effect on the story, actually. In the very beginning, I wasn't planning on continuing beyound the first few chapters, but I had such a strong reaction from the first few pieces that I posted here, that I felt obligated to continue. I'd already started two stories on the site, and hadn't finished either, and I felt that I couldn't do it a third time.

Everyone here was extremely encouraging, and there was a number of times when I'd forgot to update that someone here nudged me and that gave me enough incentive to go and work on it for a few hours (or days...). There was one point especially that I have to thank the YWS for, because there were about two weeks when I was serious considering dropping the whole story.

You see, I decided a long time ago never to base my characters off those close to me. My main characters were always me in some way and I didn't want some real relationship to get in the way of the relationships in the story. But I broke that rule in The Bearer. I based Aeroan off my then boyfriend and when we broke up, it hurt to continue the story for a few weeks after that. There was just too much of me in L'ira and too much of him in Aeroan.

But the YWS pulled me through. I don't remember who I talked to (I think it was several members actually), but they encouraged me to continue, so I did (more for them, than for me), but it worked. Within a few weeks I was writing more on it than I had been before and it was actually helping me to get over the break up. Besides that, it had also somehow tied me to this forum and this community.

And those are only the big things that the YWS has done to help me out. There were also a million small things that the members here have done for me that have contributed. Like how they showed me that yes, I may be a crazy writer... but I'm not the only one out there!

When are you going to publish it?

lol. Tomorrow if I could. Actually... no... There's far too much work to be done on it first.

My best answer for this question is, "as soon as possible". I have some things that badly need a rewrite now that I'm reading over them and I'm working feverishly to do that right now. After I'm done, the main editing begins. While I'm doing that, I'm going to be researching publishers and putting together a list of companies to send the manuscript to. At the same time, I'm going to have to read up on submission procedures, just so that I have the best chance possible of getting this accepted somewhere.

It's going to take alot of work to get this published, but I'm determined to do it.

*turns around and rereads her answers* wow... I think people would hate to interview me... I just ramble on and on, now don't I? lol.

But I am having fun... Anyone else have any questions?
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:16 am
Snoink says...

Reading your rambles is fun. :) So don't worry, hehe...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

447 Reviews

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:46 am
Duskglimmer says...

lol. I'm glad that someone enjoys my rambling... if it ever gets too much just pull out the duct tape and threaten me with it... I don't mind, really...
Boo. SPEW is watching.

People with writer's blocks should get together and build a castle.
— Love