z

Young Writers Society

Pardon me, but...

Do scientists suck, and are in fact the antichrist?

yes
80%
see above.
20%

Total votes : 5

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:08 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

*deep, exausting inhilation of breath*
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

F*cking scientists!!! APA 5 MLA 6 TWA 617 to Denver!!! PICK A CITATION AND STICK WITH IT!

But that's not my point. Doing some research into Pure Alexia (the inability to read as a result of a brain leision.) I've found some studies, which say kind of the same thing.

One says that LBL readers (letter by letter, which is how alexiscs read) can recognize words that they know immediately. (This is called the Saffran effect.)
Ok, good, great. Way to go.

However, another study says that they aren't recognizing any words overtly, but they do have a covert method of recognizing words. To demonstrate this, their most conclusive piece of evidence is the Stroop Test. Which is the one where you try to read the ink and not the word. (for instance GREEN)
Their study showed that the control and the LBL reader scored about the same- with no influential difference between the two. Meaning that even though the LBL reader couldn't read, their reaction time and accuracy were about the same.
Great, grand, way to go!

Here's the problem.
Both studies were done accurately. Both have just as much swinging power as the other. And they both conflict with eachother in every way possible, and yet they say the same thing.

So, I say to you;
F*CK you scientists!! F*CK you in you're ear! You have 80 some odd different citation styles. You all say that YOUR way is the way to be, and that its better than every other way. You all say different things, and all mean the same thing, but no one agrees with ANYONE!!

Wasn't a scientists who came up with the idea of the statistic? A small, easily recognizable piece of factual information, that can be used to quickly classify and order large groups of information and people into small, manageable pieces of information?

Isn't it scientists who can take one statistic, and 4 different scientists can get four different conclusions from it?

Are not scientists, in fact, the antichrist? Think about it- they fit perfectly.

I think Eric Cartman said it best when he said "Screw you guys, I'm going home."
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:01 pm
Bjorn says...

Scientists are mere humans; humans that set out to learn more about the Universe, and all in it, that God made. I believe it was Einstein who said-the more you learn about the Universe, the more you believe that there must be a God. I don't disagree. If you think-and it's impossible to- what was there before the Universe? WHAT!? Sure most would say nothing, and true enough nothing-but what is nothing? Well everything is nothing! And what is 'All'? Well the All-Father himself (not to be mistaken with Odin) God! I don't see it blasphemous to view God in a different manner, all beliefs do who have a figure head. I just think of God as the apex of the Universe-he is not an earthly being-he is Everything and Nothing. So He indoubtably 'knows everything', and we're mere humans, built from the stuff of the 'physical'(rather souls in a physical raiment, and so with sense and a 'will' we are bound to be curious of what we are and what is everything around us, and why) that He made, and it's only 'natural' that we set out to learn of all the stuff and their intricacies. I find it wasteful to not 'know', because our lives are full of learning- and whether you like it or not you learn(in anyway), so it would make you 'blasphemous' anyway-and through learning we give meaning to our otherwise meaningless lives. What exactly do we do when we are in Heaven, or wherever our divine, God-worshipping souls go? Just sit or stand or float? As souls we are not 'objects' anymore, we're not bound by physical limitations or sense, and without senses were are technically 'nothing' or as scientists describe 'atoms'. God is the primeval spirit, and therefore the 'Multi-Atom', if you will, and therefore we are but part of this Multi-Atom, and therefore the lifeforce of the Universe as we know it.

If scientists are blasphemous, and making asumtions that you may not conform to, it's the same as me saying that Middle-Earth was a mockery of God's world(ours), filled with nonsense, and deriven from some crack-pot who thought Hobbit's were real and smoked one up with him every evening.

67 Reviews

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:14 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

That. That right there- thats why scientists suck.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:00 am
sabradan says...

I agree---people suck
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:37 am
Snoink says...

Scientists are awesome! :shock:
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:59 am
Doctor Kitty says...

You also have to remember that there is little science can prove. Hence the use of "theories."

Scientists are pretty cool though, I guess. Without scientists, we wouldn't have...

er...

well....

What wouldn't we have? :P

Just kidding. WE WOULDN'T HAVE PUDDING!

67 Reviews

Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:03 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

No, there is actually little scientists can't prove. Its getting them to agree on anything thats impossible.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:31 am
Zion says...

Scientists always create elaborate theories to explain the majestic creations of God, but in the end, they discover that God was a little smarter then they were, always a step ahead. Most of the scientists do not follow the Scientific Code and do the research only to quench their own thirst for power and tame the beast that is known as ego. Most of today's scientists suck, bigtime, even though when I finish uni I will be a scientist and an inovator myself. I wont be like that. I will change it, and reinforce the Scientific Code and pace the road for the Deus Ex Machina, and the awakening of the human spirit, through the symbiotic relationship between man and machine...
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

67 Reviews

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:41 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Yeah, that kind of thinking, that sucks too.
Just about everything you said was uninformed, and wrong.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:09 pm
Zion says...

*grins*
ye, its a sign for will for domination, but you hafta admit that almost all of the scientists do their research for money only, with no regard for scientific and/or social ethics.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

67 Reviews

Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:27 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Thats not true either. Being a scientist usually means a lifetime of menial wages and half poverty. The money they get all goes to research. Social ethics are usually high on their list.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:49 pm
Bjorn says...

There's no point to anything if we don't give it a meaning, get it! Scientists just happen to spend their miserable little lives adding on to, and complicating things. They may suck, but surly they aren't the antichrist. Except maybe those who work, discretly, for tobacco companies and the like....

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:03 am
Griffinkeeper says...

You guys are just jealous because you can't build some gigantic laser beam.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

67 Reviews

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:48 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Excuse me, I OWN a gicantic laser beam. But quantum mechanical physics is not the issue here. Scientists are.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage