z

Young Writers Society

Know what else really grinds my gears?

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:30 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Know what else really grinds my gears> (A bi monthly update- RANT from QGGF)

I absolutely hate- and I know I'm not the only one- seeing big round ovals commonly known as zeros next to posts in the literary section, more than a day old. Recently going through some of the forums, I found several posts that had been ignored for more than a day or two. They had been viewed, but no one had the courtesy to critique those pieces. One of them was even quite good, despite some factual problems.

So, in response to this, I am asking several members to join me, in making sure those zeros don't stick around for long. A while ago, I tried to make it a club, but got little to no response. Well, I'm asking again- this time to everyone.

You'll be assigned a certain section to over view for a week or so- making sure that any zero that lasts for more than a day and a half goes away. It will rotate- because I know most people like to avoid critiqueing poetry. You'll be asked to ensure that critiques in that section are suitable to the writer. "I liked it- poem good." = very bad critique. You're critiques of course, will be expected to be excellent. Moreover- you will expect nothing in return. This is a writing website, we are here to help others get better at their writing.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:02 am
Fauste says...

Well I'm in.
I don't like leaving my country Doug, and I especially don't like leaving it for anything less then sandy beaches, and cocktails with little straw hats.

Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary ***king Poppins... LONDON.

67 Reviews

Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:54 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Hey... there it goes. My faith in mankind has left this world, in an attempt to find somewhere where it might be more suited to live.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:39 pm
Galatea says...

I'd like to help!
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:54 pm
Zion says...

I will also try to cover some things up. DOnt except anything spectacular though, Im only trying to recover my reputation :P :lol: jk jk. Seriously, I'll try to help. I would be contradictory (sp) to the thing I posted on the thread Emma opened if I dont offer some help. Im not much of a critic, but I know a good fantasy story when I see/read one. :D
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

67 Reviews

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:59 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Well, you'll be expected to lead by example. So, yes, I'll be expecting something kind of specatcular. And you wont just be in fantasy, you'll be doing poetry some weeks, Adventure, fantasy, romance fiction one week, all the other fiction another week, and the last section another week.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:01 pm
Zion says...

s*it I knew this was a bad idea....lol! jk..I'll see what I can do. I DO have a personal life though...
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:58 pm
nickelpickle says...

I'd love to help; contrary to some, I enjoy not only prose, but poetry as well.
"There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around."

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:46 pm
Bobo says...

It's not as much that I don't like to crit poetry as that I don't really understand it enough to crit it. I wouldn't mind helping out with this, though. I could do at least one good review a day, probably.

67 Reviews

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:19 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

You don't really have to understand poetry to know that it's technically good or bad. I don't get a word of it, but I can tell whats good and what isn't.

Well, this is 5 people, so I'm going to see about making this a group on the site.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:24 am
Brian says...

Don't see how you can absolutely hate it when for nearly your entire membership you ignored anything else besides the debate forum, but it's nice to see you're take a more proactive interest in it. Hope it keeps up.

But, don't sign me up. I tried to do a "suprise reviews" group a while ago, and it worked for a few weeks, but it unraveled quickly. The problem isn't interest or anything like that, but simply because everyone just gets too busy sometimes. Take me for instance. For the past week I've only been reading stuff since most of my time was taken up with writing a term paper that I probably should have started when the teacher announced it back in September. But, I'm now off to read that stuff.

By the way, never take the number of views as the absolute number of views. Most of them are either the author checking up on it, or a search engine indexing the site (and from the looks of the guest count, I'd say there's always at least 10 bots indexing the site).
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:48 am
Elelel says...

Well, it's a nice idea and everything, and time was I'd volunteer but I don't think I could do it. Not only do I have to fight my family for every second I get on the internet, but I have a habit of not coming here for a week every now and again, get logged out all the time so I can't really edit anything without being a guest (and can they even post in the literary forums?) and also currently have a lengthy and annoying case of editor's block (which unfortunately I've discovered is not part of my writer's block and did not vanish with it).

When my editor's block keels over and dies I'll do this sort of thing myself, I have always had a thing about the zeros too, but I won't join because I'll end up disappointing everyone.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:11 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Peter Gryphon wrote:You know what really grinds my gears? America. F*** you America!

Sorry, couldn't resist quoting that...
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:08 am
sabradan says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:
Peter Gryphon wrote:You know what really grinds my gears? America. F*** you America!

Sorry, couldn't resist quoting that...

Family Guy=God.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.
— Jin, BTS