z

Young Writers Society

Funny how one short piece will demand knowlege

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:31 pm
Fishr says...

Kinda bored after doing some more researching but thought what I'm learning is neat. Maybe I should back up a bit and explain. I started a very short story about the Revolutionary War, which a few on the site offered positive feedback and asked me to explain further about the characters. So thinking it over, I decided this could be really fun. I loved to learn about the War in school. Writing the second draft, third, fourth...I quickly realized I had a whole lot more learning to do, lol.

You see I was dead-set on making the writing as realistic as possible, which was difficult. The dialog is in American text. I want the reader to be thrust-ed into the past, so after reading and researching I'm finding the English/British language is really neat! For sure, its very interesting. There is definite similarities but differences also.

The other part of my research had led to me to re-read how the soldier's dressed, what food were offered, what supplies was each soldier supposed to have and how they lived during war.

And I thought this would be an easy piece of writing..not! LOL! It was not enough to focus on one particular battle but having to look at the bigger picture.

I still think it's neat I'm learning much more than I bargained for. Now I just need to edit, which hopefully be the final draft! :wink: Isn't education wonderful? :lol:
Last edited by Fishr on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:51 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

A piece like that would almost benefit from focusing one one battel- and for full dramatic effect, one of the battles that we lost.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:42 am
Snoink says...

Yes! That is the whole point of writing. Expand your boundaries. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:35 pm
Fishr says...

Deleted.

Lots of times you have to pretend to join a parade in which you're not really interested in order to get where you're going.
— Christopher Darlington Morley